damned or damaged

• 20 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 01:37:55 AM »
Not what I was expecting...

I like the way you manage to pull so much from just guitar and voice, and what an interesting voice you have,

This sounds original and ever so familiar at the same time. I suppose that's just the right combination.

Nice contrast between the sections and very singable, although I'm not sure everyone could pull it off.

Good work.

Yodasdad.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Mike,
Good title, liked the lyrics. Tune and vocals all working well.
A bit of Tim Petty in there too.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
Hi Mike,

Great vibe.
The lyrics are spot on and delivered very well. I too got Petty.
Classy guitar work - sounds simple, but there is more going on than may first appear.

Good stuff.

Digger

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
Very well thought out lyrics here Mike

I have listened to it a few times now and think maybe a quiet bass guitar in background would maybe make it a more solid sound also the only other nit is when you sing the word "weep" that grated on me
Hey only my thoughts

cheers

Helen

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 08:23:15 PM »
This is a perfect example of ensuring that "production" supports the song

I am not sure a "professional production" would improve this song - there is something about the honesty of the lyric and performance that I fear would be lost with a fuller production

Gorgeous song and performance!

well done
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
This is great. Your guitar playing and voice are full of hooks. Do you have an idea of what you would like a professional to improve - are we talking additional instrumentation? Maybe a small bit of bass could do something on the chorus, possibly doubling the voice melody - might not work, just an idea, and it's important to state that this version is excellent as it is, it has enough variation to be continually interesting.

Lyrically, political songs aren't my thing, but you have a wealth of pointed images here and I like that you manage to come across as frustrated and worried rather than preachy. I didn't quite get 'everybody must hate fun', but loved 'damned if we don't and damaged if we do'.