Logic Pro X is driving me crazy

• 10 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
It is absolutely taking me to the brink! I really knew my way around Logic Pro 8 but recently decided to upgrade.  So I have now taken the plunge and ordered an instruction course (a book) from Amazon.  Logic X behaves so differently from the earlier version.  Has anyone else made the change from an earlier version version. If so which version do you prefer?  :'(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:10:55 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
Paul

I don't use logic, but I would strongly recommend the Groove 3 video series. Quickest way to learn for me and quality is excellent.

Bill

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
Hey Bill,

Thanks, I will look into that.  it is so different to Logic  8 which I could navigate so easily. I previously used to use many of the keyboard commands which just don't work in the same way now.  It's tempting to upload Logic 8 once again as it's also very powerful software which I know extremely well.  However, I have updated as I wish to keep up to date with this software.  I produced my song Liverpool 1 using Logic Pro X but to be honest, it was such a learning curve and I wasn't able to achieve the same results that I would have with Logic 8 - I couldn't shape the tracks the way that I wanted to and it took such a long time to produce. In fact, it's still on hold as I really want to make a better production.  I'll get there Bill. :-)  Thank you so much for the above information which I will look into.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:39:33 PM by Wicked Deeds »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
Hi Paul

Well I arrived at logic in version 9, although I did use logic express 8, so I don't know if that's the same user interface.

I struggled a little bit with the transition from 9 to 10, but it wasn't awful. Having said that, I was hardly an expert at 9 when I made the move, so although there were differences, I was only using a small amount of the software anyway. If I were you I'd stick with it if you can. As time goes by, having old software can cause you problems if you ever need support, or if you need to upgrade your mac one day only to suddenly find version 8 no longer works...

Good luck with it though :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:32 PM »
Hello tone,

Yes, I intend to stick with the new Logic software.  It's tempting to go back yo what's I know but I really want to move with the times.  I bought a new Mac and thought that now would be the perfect time to try the new software.  It should also present new inspiration once I m more familiar with it's workings.  I'm looking forward to receiving the Apple approved book that I have ordered to make things a little clearer.  Hopefully, I'll record a new album this year and that is something that I have been considering for some time. :-)

Paul

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
Good for you Paul. Have you discovered the built in 'real' drummer yet? It's a really good feature, and if you get the right combination of style & kit for your song it could seriously speed up the production process.
Also, the audio quantising feature is pretty amazing. I used it for a library track I produced where I just couldn't get the guitar part in time. It took a bit of reading to figure it out, but like all things it's pretty simple when you know how.
Looking forward to hearing your album :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
Hey tone,

The built in drummer is an amazing feature.  I don't quite understand it fully but I will eventually and yes, it will cut down on the time spent s programming drums.  I read in a Sound on Sound article that the Logic Pro X virtual drummer is the best on the market so I'm looking forward to understanding and using it more.  Despite the skills that I've picked up on my production journey, I'm first and foremost a songwriter. I'd rather spend my time writing and using this kind of software to compliment  my writing than programming drums (which, I'm able to do but find this aspect of production of least interest).   :-)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
I have to admit, I'm nowhere near as good at Logic Pro X than I was at the earlier versions. For me the biggest change is, way back when, we used a lot of key commands, and once you get used to that, the workflow is just so much faster when you've assigned keys to different stuff and you take the time to learn and master them.

But I'll get by, only a bit slower.

And I agree, real drummer is awesome, I use it on every song. Takes no time at all to get the drums you want on your songs. I will get EZ drummer 2 though in a short while, but that's not because real drummer in Logic isn't good enough, it's merely because I love to get new stuff and I've had my eyes on it for some time now.  ;D

Peter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
HeyvPeter, I've just received the latest Apple training book.  It's well written Andy I'm sure I twil make working in Logic X much easier.  I just started to oread it and am already picking up useful tips which allow me to navigate using my keyboard.  This will make tasks much quicker.

Good luck wit him EZ drummer 2 :-)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
The 'producer kits' part of Logic's drummer is beyond awesome. Every parameter is available for adjustment. Takes up 14gb of space mined ewe.... :o

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
Welcome to the world of software.  The more softwares you USE, the more you encounter these problems.  When new versions come out, they work - after a fashion.   

Then, the programmers tweak them, and fix the bugs, and realize the limitations and come out with a modified version that is sold as a "new version."  No problem - but the cycle continues. 

The "programming paths" that were used all lead to one problem or another, and at some point, the programmers realize they should have begun differently.  Soooooo, when the next "new version" comes out, it really IS a "new version." 

Therein lies the problem.  Because (on numerous "programming pathways" the software engineers/programmers have seen an easier and/or less limiting direction, they essentially START OVER. 

That means that THIS "new version" (the one that really IS a new version instead of a repair) will work in a totally different way than you had grown accustomed to. 

"Improvement" it may (or may not) be, but when you get the "new upgrade," much of what you learned is wasted.  A whole new strategy for using your software must be learned and committed to memory. 

The way to minimize the effect this cycle has on you is to hold out for as long as you can without upgrading. 

When you finally DO have to upgrade -- (and you WILL have to eventually, if for no other reason than that they will deliberately obsolete your old equipment with new software, AND obsolete your old software with new equipment.) -- make yourself aware of the software cycle, and make sure you are getting the "improved" software that IS compatible with your version instead of the "actual new" version which will seem foreign to you. 

There is a reality that most people would do well to understand when it comes to software. 

That reality is two pronged.   1.  The most valuable software you can own is the software you already have the user skills to operate.    2.  The limits of ANY software are not defined by what it (the software) will do, they (the limits) are defined by what the user has the skills to make the software do.      NOTHING WILL increase your system's productivity more than an investment in "upgrading user skills."  I call it the "forgotten upgrade." 

I suggest taking a course to learn your new software (even if the course comes from someone who is just a friend who knows how to run it). 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.