Plugin to monitor songs RMS, limiting, while mastering

• 1 Replies

Kristupas

• Busker
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »
Hey, what plugins do you use to monitor how much you squash your dynamics when mastering.

Cause in the end, I want to increase the volume of my songs in total,
meanwhile maintaining that dynamic movement, to achieve prosody, especially from more solo parts, and more silenced parts.

I am using Cubase, and I cannot see the total picture of the song, when I use the limiter.

DO you use any plugin for that? Please recommend one, a free one would be preferred.

Best Regards,

Kris

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:10 PM »
Hi Kris,

When mastering I use the IK multimedia CS shop, That has a few meters to measure Loudness and LUFS,

All depend on what your destination of your track is, Streaming services have different limits and if you go above that they will squash it even more.

Waves have a good one,

I found a free one which looked good,
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2016/12/18/free-multi-channel-loudness-meter-by-youlean-kvrdc-2016/

Looks quite good, havent tried it but looks like it will give all the info you need.

As for squashing, well, dance tracks, I like to make them pump a bit so adjusting the compression/limiting untill you hear it,
Other genres like rock, needs to be punchy, so fast compression, On the master bus, not more than 4Db of compression.

Hope this helps.
Andy
Cawproductions