Sleepy

• 25 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 02:10:11 AM »
Hi John
Lots of energy for a song called Sleepy  ;D ;D
Not my fav of yours but you set the bar high don't you?
I think there is a lot of tension in the chorus with the synths and the chromatic vocal lines - it almost sounds like some of the melody is not in-chord. I'm sure it's intentional but to an old f@rt like me seemed a bit OTT  ;D
Now I'm off to get some sleep - unlikely after all this energy :)
Paul

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
John,
Not about dwaves then?
Drums and bass sound great together and you've created an great soundscape with synths and guitars and stuff.
The chorus has a angry madness to it.
Like the ending too.
Thoughts: perhaps so bv's on the chorus as well. And the lead vocal get overpowered by the backing on occasions, mainly the repeated choruses.
Good work, sleep disorders aint much fun.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
Yo Pompey,

Nice tune. I'm visualising your neck veins about to pop on occasion with some of those vocals. Loads going on to keep the listen interesting. There's some really nice guitar riffs which I want more to the front of the mix, likewise I want the vocal louder and the wooshy synths turned down a tad. Did you just buy a new wooshy synth thing and get all excited?  ;D

Steng

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for your reviews and critique. As usual some very valid crits which helps me no end.

Wicked - Thanks so much, wanted a sort of dischordant feel to this

Vicki - I'm a harmony monster myself  :) I think I might have a go at some chorus harmonies

Kev - You could be right, think I might drop the volume a bit

Skub - Glad you got the 'between worlds' hallucinogenic aspect. I was trying to create feeling of sleep deprived delirium

Tim - Agree - I'm going to drop the volume on the synths a tad

Kev - Thank you, I enjoyed the rising chorus

Adam - Any nod to Mr Lennon is more than welcome, yes, "I'm Only Sleeping" I guess

Phil - Thanks, I'm glad I sort of met the brief

Bill - Thankfully I've managed to get my insomnia sorted out now - What a great review

Micky - Thanks  :) The beeping noise was from a sample from Computer Music mag. Good idea to introduce some more, sort of competing with each other

Laquila - Agree the chorus could do with a minor readjustment

Jamie - I can't stop  :) :) :)

Caz - Thanks for the review - That's a good idea you have with the second "sleepy"

Yoda - I know what you mean, maybe just a little bit more emphasis ?

Paulski - I did want this to sound slightly dischordant but I do get what you're saying and It can sometimes be distracting. Hope you had a good kip  :)

Neil - Ha ! Dwarves  :) BV's on the chorus - yes

Steng - Interesting comment about neck veins popping. I used to go really OTT with my vocals, singing live in particular. Now I tend to record vocals at really low levels and sing pretty quietly. I find I can still get the vocal effects by applying these after the initial dry recording.

A Big, Big Thanks to Everyone  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 09:07:13 AM »
I agree, for a song called 'Sleepy', it sure has a lot of tense energy, which is great in itself ;)
When listening, I felt like I do when, for some unknown reason, I can't get to sleep  ::)
The swirling synth reminded me of how I feel when I'm just drifting off, but then this wave of nervous energy races through me, and on and on this pattern cycles throughout the night ::)
Lots of interesting stuff going on in this John :) I liked it a lot  :)

Mike67

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm a big fan of 80's music and this took me right back to my youth.  Great song, great production value, and I loved the synths. It amazes me every time I hear that stuff that you guys are creating. It's simply a joy.

Mike 

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 06:58:10 PM »
Some nice changes of pace and great backing track.
Nice commercial sound but cool at the same time.
Another quality song that seem to produce on a regular basis - its no wonder you cant sleep :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
Hi John,

Really great synth sounds - love the way the roll like waves during the middle section.
It does conjure that haze between sleep and wakefulness.

It's a full track, but everything is distinguishable.
Solid vocal performance.

Heck knows how you write so many quality and different style of songs so quickly.

Digger

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
Hi,

I'm not a fan of 80's music so I approached this with some trepidation. A bit of a curate's egg this one for me. Good in parts, particularly the synth lines, drums and bass. The vocal sounded too thin and strained in places - maybe some double tracking and reverb to fatten the vocal up. The synths sometimes tended to overwhelm the vocal but overall, a pretty solid song.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »
Thanks for the further replies and critique  :)

crystalsuzy - Thanks, I was trying to capture the sort of tense energy that keeps you awake at night, especially when you really want to sleep  :)

Mike67 - Great comments, glad you enjoyed the listen

Morefrog - Thanks, yes I seem to have tunes banging around my head all the time, usually at times when I can't get to record the idea which is pretty frustrating !

Digger - Glad I managed to get that middle bit to portray exactly what you were thinking

Monydog - Interesting sweeping generalisation regarding 80's music. There was some good stuff in the 80's you know  :) Although I don't particularly think that this is 80's. Thanks for the comments regarding vocal "fattening" I'll have to have a play with that. 

Cheers all

Pompeyjazz

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »
yes thatrising melody
epic
I've been thinking about writing a song insomnia nothing this ambitious though.
great character.
well done!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly