The Most Normal Thing

• 41 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »
Hi Adam, an endearing and quirky song that was intriguing and interesting. The timing changes worked and whilst I didn't like the tone of the lead guitar stuff it was too thin, but it reminded me of Bowie 70's guitar phrases.! The technical side is coming on and you're getting more confident in your writing!
Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »
Hi Adam

I enjoyed this - quirky as all get out but endearing in its quirkiness :)
Good on you for the slowdowns and stops - hard to do in a home studio and there a few timing issues that could be sorted. But it's all about the song - and it's a good one.

cheers
Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks everyone!

- Yodasdad - many thanks - I'm looking at sweetening up that lead guitar. I'd defintely like to keep it rather than scrap it so let's see if the magic of DAWs can make it work!

- Vicky - thanks for taking the time. I've tried the suggestions and "sometimes" as you have it is definitely a better phrasing and works well in both verses. For the "normal thing" line I'm going to come down on the side of changing it takes away more than it adds. It seems to detract from the impact and hookiness so I think I'll go with artistic licence on that one. But always good to be challenged!

- JonDavies - thanks for great comments. That guitar...! I'll check that bass note too. Yes, for recording convenience I don't recommend mutliple time changes in a song - but actually I may now be addicted as it gives a lot more life...

- Jamie - many thanks - hopefully I'm not now getting overconfident! But for sure I'm happy to go "my way" (and am gradually getting a few more skills to make things sound like I want them).

- Paulski - you're so right about the slowdowns - I may try tightening up though where I can... Thanks a million as always.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
Adam,
Like it, refreshing and just a little bit of kilter. Then your've got the big chorus with the big BV's and then you go off piste again.
Smartly written lyrics.
Nice one
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Yet another song out of left field.
Definite grower and worth the effort of a second or third listen. :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
I totally enjoyed listening to this song Adam :) It kept catching me off-guard, with it's unexpected
twists and turns, which is a good thing :) I loved the quirkiness of the lyrics and I thought you sang them very well :) Yes, there might be a few timing issues, but nothing that really bothered me
that much ;) Nice production all round :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
You nailed the acoustic trick! - the acoustic sounded great

I agree with the comments about the lead tone - I think a really quirky (in a good way) lead guitar tone would transform this track for the better so I would suggest throwing lots of different effects at it until you find something that works

I loved the overall quirky vibe to the lyric and song and it had a really "live" feeling to me - I could see a live band doing a cracking version of this and getting the crowd going
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »
Fine lyrics (very fine - great idea) and a very interesting song. Lead quitar didn't quite do it for me - seems very staccato and lacks fluency. But this may be me. Perhaps it's tonight's wine - everything seems staccato this evening. I read the thread on the acoustic trick and got lost very quickly - I don't even know how to duplicate a track on my DAW! But the acoustic sounded fine here. I'd have actually just liked to have heard this with vocal and acoustic - I reckon that would work really well. But then the drums and BVs are good. So what do I know? It's a an enjoyable listen and one can't ask for more than that!
West Country Country Boy

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:30 PM »
Really interesting song. Kind of a hybrid of The Strokes and Monty Python. Lyrics are fun and imaginative. Any song that features "Transformers" and "Dinosaurs" is a winner for me!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
That guitar is maybe in need of something but is the great feature here. When I first listened to this I was reminded of the late 70s. I can't say why exactly because I can't think of a particular song. Just something about it...maybe that guitar reminded me of Television or something. I think it is mainly just the home-made appeal of the song which took me back to that time where songs were being released which would never have seen the light of day before the punk thing. Wreckless Eric, people like that.

I was interested then when I saw that you had 'I Am The Fly' on your turntable in another post - I used to play that to death!

In spite of all that, most definitely an Adam Farr number!

Nicely put together....could maybe benefit from some tweaks to get a better flow somehow. The main drum beat is nice and yes the bvs are great. Productions are getting better!

Great chorus too!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
I didn't want this song to end. I wanted to hear more verses/bridges about what other fantastic events would not bring you and your sweetheart together against all odds. What do you think? A zombie apocalypse? Environmental catastrophe?

I for one also liked the electric guitar, I'm listening through speakers that don't have great bass but it sounds fine to me. The sound all together reminded me of some awkward 80s band I couldn't place. Worked so well with the hopeless nerd story. A thoroughly enjoyable listen.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
Hey Adam,

Sorry I'm late on this one.

Was already a fan of the lyrics, now I'm a fan of the song too! :)

Really cool intro and lovely sounding acoustic.

It didn't completely come together for me until the first bridge, which went down really well and they were my favorite parts.

Personally liked the lead, thought it sounded groovy added something nice - doesn't always need to be the center piece.

Massive fan the style you're bringing.

All the best,
Scott.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »
Hey there Adam..."quirky" is the word here, as it was mentioned before. This is a different tune than what is usually expected......and so I applaud your creativity. The electric guitar did not seem to be very fluent...nothing rehearsal won't fix, however  ;)
I really like the lyric........I imagine that sentiment is shared by all of us, at one time or another.
Good stuff, Adam.....kudo's and toodles....see ya 'round!
                                                                                        8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
Hi Adam,

Cool tune. Really nice vibe. Feels summery somehow, and a bit punk.
I like the way the song comes to a halt.
Others have mentioned the lead tone - the bane of many a guitarist no doubt. Sounds a little dry if anything. Doesn't detract from a interesting write though.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Small bump in order thank everyone who voted for this in SOTM and to say that now you can hear the track with its added prizes - drums from the stupendous Righteous Recordings and mixing and mastering from the ever patient and openminded BOYDIE!

https://soundcloud.com/lutehill/the-most-normal-thing-ib-boydie-mix-master

(I only meant to bump this one and not the lyrics thread - sorry all!)