konalavadome

Life is a riddle

• 9 Replies

Arkwright

• Solo Gig
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
It’s very rare for me to give a backstory to any of my lyrics as I much prefer to leave them open to interpretation. However, these lyrics are so obscure I thought some background might help.

My full time job sees me working with a variety of people from drug users to abused children to people with mental health issues. I found myself in the company of an old gentleman the other day who throughout our two hour meeting, kept throwing random comments into the conversation that were completely out of context with what we were discussing.

Most of his obscure comments were either common sayings or childrens rhymes. He also kept talking about the ‘Elephant in the room’ and I’m still unsure if it was a metaphorical elephant or he genuinely believed there was one in the room.

After I left, I got to thinking about what his world was like on a day to day basis and what was going on in his head. These lyrics are the best answer I could come up with.

Thinking it might need an outro?

Enjoy!

V1
When curiosity killed the cat
His death never raised a brow
Yet somehow we mourned his loss
More than the cradle that broke the bough

V2
If Elvis has left the building
Who the hell is the guy on the mic
Not quite a king more a pauper
But worth a dollar if you believe the hype

CHORUS
Hey diddle, diddle
Life is a riddle
There's an elephant in the room
The insane wear a smile
To see such fun
As they dance to a different tune

V3
You can't judge a book by it's cover
When the story mirrors your life
You've enjoyed the gore and the glory
So don't complain when they twist the knife

V4
Between a rock and a hard place
Where indecision don't belong
The almighty is judge and jury
And you can't do right for doing wrong

CHORUS
Hey diddle, diddle
Life is a riddle
There's an elephant in the room
The insane wear a smile
To see such fun
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:56:39 PM by Arkwright »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
I appreciate the back story telling me your inspiration for this one, and I think it still leaves plenty of room for my own interpretation. My favorite part is the chorus, though I think I might have written it, "The insane wear a smile". Which probably means I'm not getting your intention properly.

It doesn't need an outro to keep me happy, but others might have other opinions.

Other than the one line, I have no nits. It works well for me and I want to hear it in its musical setting. :D

Vicki

Arkwright

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
Hey Vicki

I'll jump in with a quick reply whilst it's still at the top of the forum and as such I won't be bumping it.

Love your suggestion for the line in the chorus and I'll use it if that's ok.

It may never see the light of day as a completed song as I have no musical talent whatsoever. It's only hope is if someone likes it enough to collaborate on it. But that's ok, I write mainly for cathartic reasons and just file them all away when I'm done 😁

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »
Arkwright,
A intelligent and interesting write.
And I read it first without reading your backstory and it all read just fine.
Really enjoyed the Elvis verse and the chorus is strong.
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
Hey Vicki

I'll jump in with a quick reply whilst it's still at the top of the forum and as such I won't be bumping it.

Love your suggestion for the line in the chorus and I'll use it if that's ok.
Absolutely! My feedback suggestions are always freely given and intended to be used, if they suit the writer's objectives.

It may never see the light of day as a completed song as I have no musical talent whatsoever. It's only hope is if someone likes it enough to collaborate on it. But that's ok, I write mainly for cathartic reasons and just file them all away when I'm done 😁
In that case, I really hope this appeals to one of the musicians here who will feel strongly compelled to make it into a finished piece.  ;D

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:36 AM »
With, or without the backstory, this is a marvelous write. 

Gains instant familiarity through the "hey diddle diddle" association, yet it's really quite dark and mysterious.  (I guess really the "Hey Diddle Diddle" nursery rhyme was quite dark in it's own way too wasn't it? 

Sometimes, I write a lyric that clearly has something important in it even if I (myself, the writer) don't quite yet "get" what it is. 

This one kind of has that kind of feel.  Like there is something deeper in it than even you fully comprehend. 

I LOVE IT. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »
Good stuff Ark - I love a good twisted nursery rhyme - I can hear the dischordant circus music behind it already :) My only thought was at the end:

One of your top writes IMHCO
Paul

Arkwright

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
My only thought was at the end:

Thanks for your comments Paulski... I've taken on board your suggestion and it works much better, thanks 👍

Mike67

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
This is great, and the back story helps.  The line "as they dance to a different tune" is the critical one for me, and it neatly sums up what the song's about; alternate realities. He's probably writing a song right now about a guy who was so blind to reality that he couldn't see the elephant in the room.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »
Hello Arkwright,

Like you, I too work with people who misuse substances.  I give advice about health risks, units, safe reduction of alcohol and harm reduction associated with both drug and alcohol use.

Anyway, I immediately enjoyed your lyrics.  The lyrics support the explanation that you give. They are non-sensical and rely on nursery rhymes and cliches.  I think that the well worn sayings and nursery rhyme content, including rhythm immediately help,the reader to connect with these lyrics whilst also giving a sense of might have been tempted to use the full nursery rhyme structure of Hey Diddle Diddle.  It would have been intriguing to hear that  to music.  I look forward to hearing this as it perhaps develops into a complete song production.

A great read. Thank you for sharing your lyrics.

Paul