konalavadome

Grant Review Is Today

• 23 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »
Well done Vicki - You really deserve it and I'm sure you'll make a success of it  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »
Result!   ;D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
Congratulations Vicki! Sounds like a worthwhile project. If the website gives you any grief feel free to give me a shout. Really looking forward to seeing/ hearing the end result :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
That's wonderful Vicki! The plan/idea sounds like a very worthy one, too. Mary Wesley may fit your well known Late Bloomers profile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wesley

Cheers
Derek
Thanks, Derek! I have been building a file of late bloomers, and I'm always looking for more names to add to it. She's perfect.
Congratulations Vicki and good luck. Seasick Steve is another late bloomer but you may have already thought of him.

Keith
I don't think I've heard of Seasick Steve! Sounds interesting, so I looked him up. I have been finding it especially difficult to find late bloomer examples of musicians, so I totally appreciate this one! Thanks!
author=pompeyjazz link=topic=12627.msg121223#msg121223 date=1487836503]
Well done Vicki - You really deserve it and I'm sure you'll make a success of it  :)
Thanks, John, that's my plan!  ;D
Result!   ;D
Yeah!  :D
Congratulations Vicki! Sounds like a worthwhile project. If the website gives you any grief feel free to give me a shout. Really looking forward to seeing/ hearing the end result :)
Thanks, Tone! I'll have it built initially by a professional (approved by the grant agency) using WordPress. It's supposed to be made in such a way that I can easily (more or less) maintain it myself. I'm guessing I may have questions from time to time, so I appreciate having you as a resource.

I could start a new thread here and post progress reports.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »
Brilliant news and a great project! Congratulations

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »
Regarding Seasick Steve - he was (supposedly) this old hobo who suddenly burst onto the music scene here in the UK. There was a lot of hype and some great performances on various key TV shows with Steve playing good old blues on his home made cigar box guitars. He's a great singer and a very fine picker. I recall being amazed at how good he was on his first album. I even enjoyed a documentary when he took a film crew to all his old hobo and juke joint haunts back in Mississippi (or wherever it was).

It turns out it all wasn't quite what it appeared to be:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/sep/29/seasick-steve-session-musician-ramblin-man-book?CMP=share_btn_fb

Nevertheless, he may still fit your Late Bloomers profile as he never really made it previously. Just be aware that the latest persona is fiction. The music is still great though!
West Country Country Boy

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
Thanks, Tone! I'll have it built initially by a professional (approved by the grant agency) using WordPress. It's supposed to be made in such a way that I can easily (more or less) maintain it myself. I'm guessing I may have questions from time to time, so I appreciate having you as a resource.

I have tons of experience with wordpress, and so long as the site itself is well developed you shouldn't have too many problems with keeping it going largely by yourself. I'm part of a wider community of web developers, so if you need more technical help at any time I can likely hook you up with someone recommended, reliable and up to the task.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 01:06:12 AM »
There's more to the project than what is covered by the grant.

To prove it I'll be posting bios of late bloomers in various fields (primarily the arts, but other areas may also be covered), both famous ones (like Laura Ingalls Wilder or Grandma Moses) and not-so-well known ones like the weaver I know in a college town not far from here who has a successful arts-based business.

That's the nutshell version.

An excellent example of that is the lady who recorded "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.  Was that K.D. Tunstall?   

Anyway, good luck with your website, and WONDERFUL that you got your grant.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 01:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Verlon. And, Tone, I have you and your community of developers in my back pocket. :)