konalavadome

Wait Until They're Older

• 13 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Aha so...

About the right amount of unusual you'd expect from me, I think.

This sounded awful for a long time, then just seemed to click for me after a while tweaking the production.

Still unusual, but hopefully a little more easy-listening. Turned my rapping into more of a "country" vibe?

A ended up mixing a few different takes on the electric guitar and vocals all into the final, but just panning and voluming them different. ( i.e. 2 vocal takes, first is normal volume centered, the other is split, reduced volume and panned either side). I quite like how it's came out, with the "group" vocals and panned electric takes wizzing around - but too much maybe?

Intro and Outro guitar wasn't planned either, but I thought it sounded cool so left it in.

I bought a really cheap electric-to-usb cable a while ago and though it sounded too flat at the time, my slowly improving production skills meant I gave the cable a go (as opposed to putting my mic next to the amp) and managed to cut out some of the cheap-cable buzzing and add some dimension with EQ and reverb (I hope).

Quite an abstract way of going about the concept I'm looking at, I wont give anything away here (interested to hear what you take form it) but feel free to check the lyrics post for more context.

Thanks to all those who gave feedback in the Lyrics section for this also, and those who have given feedback on my last song (which I don't want to bump) - all is much appreciated.

Also know I'm behind on feedback so as usual no hard feelings if you skip me out, though I am hoping to catch up ;)

https://soundcloud.com/namelessmc/wait-until-theyre-older

She was a sweet young girl with love on her mind
Used to work in an office and smoke to unwind
Met a man with green hands - spilling contraband
They were close for the most together all the time

Didn't think it through, gave birth to two,
Tied down to marriage she'll have to make do,

He's quite intellectual with so much potential,
But slaving for wages to pave the way,
Unfulfilled aspirations by unplanned creations,
He's caving from the pressures of the day-to-day

Wait until they're older

She was a stay at home mother with chores on her mind,
Used to clean the house and smoke to unwind,
Stuck with an addict sitting 'round tragic,
They were couched in the house all of the time

Months turn to years, the boredom turns tears,
Tired of the marrage too late for repairs

Completely clueless, mind now useless,
Shadow of the man that he used to be
Blissful innonance shrowded in ignorance
Toking away the thoughts of family

Wait until they're older

She was a middle aged lady with freedom on her mind,
Used to work part time and smoke to unwind,
Made new friends, found a means to an end,
She was debating escaping all of the time

Thoughts turn to actions, that's how it happens,
Breaking the marriage in search of passion,

He was completely distraught never pondered the thought,
That those words could be spoken,
Discredited endevours no redemption whatsoever
A man no more just broken

Wait until they're older

The kids grow old, from a broken mold,
Of relationships and family,
They do what they see, not what they're told,
Faking living happily.

All the best,
Scott.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:52:20 PM »
Scott. You are such a breath of fresh air on the forum and I really love the stuff you are doing. What I particularly like about your stuff is that you are totally unique and sticking to your ideas. I defy anybody to pigeonhole your music. Great new, make you sit up and listen vibe  :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
Hey Scott, Pompey couldn't have put it better. This is brilliant. Really thought provoking lyrics too!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »
Hi Scott,

Great lyrics.

The music is completely off the wall, but somehow works.
I think it's one of those songs that at first you think, "um, not sure about this," but after a while it just washes over you and you're there! :)
Would have liked the vocal a little bit more up front.

Creative stuff.

Digger

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
Hi Scott,

I listened several times and I do Like this song.  It works, but not well enough for me.  It's very difficult to listen as the multiple voice effect doesn't allow me to follow easily.  As I said , I do like this and think that a less complicated approach would really make this shine. It's certainly unique.  I think that there is great potential once the recording approach is adjusted just a little.  There would  still be enough quirkiness to make this stand out!

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Very unexpected - is that really a guitar? I think there are some sounds in there that have never been heard this side of the Urals...

It's hard to comment really - especially as you have your own path where standard ideas might not apply - what I would say is maybe you could try some contrast between sections - they sound quite similar all through, so you could make your hook line stand out a bit more by varying some things (e.g. in this case taking away the doubled vocal so the words really come through).

But I defy anyone not to wake up and listen when this comes on - really got me going...

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Yo Scott.

Lots of cool lines in the lyric, 'Unfulfilled aspirations by unplanned creations',grabbed me especially.

Maybe it's just me,since no one else has mentioned it,but I can't get on with the 'soup dragon tones' on the guitar. I'd love to be able to switch off that track and listen to the song.

That personal opinion aside,it's a solid song and a pointed social comment.

Keep 'er lit man.  8)

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
Might I suggest you turn down the lead guitar a little? It took me a while to get into this song because the guitar is dominating the vocal.

Once I was into it, I really enjoyed it - reminds me a bit of Old Crow Medicine Show. The doubled vocal works well too. Maybe try bringing the vocal slightly forward, because I'd like to hear the lyric a little more clearly (this might be resolved by just turning down the lead guitar).

Like others have said, you really have your own style and it grabs your attention, well done!

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »
Hey Scott,

Is that a bouzouki? ;D Wacky and inspired (and this time with soupçon of T Rex, maybe) Awesome!!

Listen, I feel singularly un-qualified to offer any advice  :) I mean I could suggest you make the vocal slightly more intelligible and add a little contrast but then that would be like pointing out the wonky eyes on a Picasso...

Stick to your guns dude, your music is a breath of fresh air!

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »
I really like the weird and chaotic nature of this - makes it very different  - and without the strange guitar over the top it wouldn't be anywhere near as distinctive.  And great lyrics to boot: "Stuck with an addict sitting 'round tragic", with the vocals almost tripping over themselves then punctuated with "Wait till they're old" throughout.  Superb. :D

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
It's said there's a fine line between genius and insanity.

I'm not quite sure which side you're on yet but it does make for interesting music.

I'm noticing a pattern with your songs that there always seems to be one element that jarr's and doesn't quite work for me but underneath it all I can tell there are some great ideas.

In this one it's the electric guitar. On its own it's quite unique but for me it's just to discordant along with the other parts.

Like others have said, you've got your own style so if this is the kind of effect you're after just keep going.

If on the other hand you want it to be more appealing to the masses, I think working on the elec guitar would be the way to go on this one.

Yodasdad

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
I think I'd have to take a cocktail of drugs before this makes any sense to me musically, but lyrically I love it

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
Scott, I'm not even going to critique this or provide feedback. Just to say I enjoying it.
 :) neil
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
Holy mother of God, what the hell is going on here? This does not work for me at all. It lacks all the elements I'm looking for (listening for) in a song. I'm sure you've got some idea of what you're trying to achieve but for me, as a piece of music it just doesn't fly. I'm all for off the wall stuff (and there is plenty of that on this forum) but this lacks the basic tenants of music.

Sorry to be so negative but I have to truthful.

M