konalavadome

LIVERPOOL 1

• 24 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:16 PM »
Hello Tim,

thank you for reviewing Liverpool 1.  I've updated the file to add guitar and spoken word.  Its not quite finished.  I will add backing vocals and maybe a little more guitar, possibly on the outro.  I will mix and master this further once I've conquered Logic X.  It's still fairly short approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds - I like that :-)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/liverpool-1-4
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:24:34 PM by Wicked Deeds »

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
Well....I gotta say, that this has grown on me. The music and sound reminds me of an artist that was pretty big, for a short while in the 80's. I can't remember his name, for the life of me. Hot stuff, in the day....was up there in popularity with Al Stewart.
Anyways......you have a smart sound and I like the song  ;)
                                                                                         -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
Nice to see you back at it again, Paul  :) I've missed your distinctive voice and song writing style :)
I love this track and the story it tells...the lyrics are really well written  :)
The spoken bits, add another dimension, that really enhances the story :o
I'd love to hear that guitar come in as a solo, as has been suggested :)
Everything sounds perfect to me! Excellent production :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
super chorus..just reckon you should add a few more voices in the final chorus...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
Hi, good song, it reminded me especially the vocals of a a Glasgow band whose name I can't remember. They had a song with the line ' from Westwood to Hollywood' in a hit of theirs. Production pretty good, you obviously know your way around a daw.
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Thomas Frederick

• Busker
    • Spotify
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »
The bass and drums rhythm works so well to create a solid rhythm for this song that carries the whole piece.

Lyrics are nice, tell a sweet story. I agree with you, the bridge lyrics are my favourite.

Production is solid, can't hear anything out of place.

The vocal delivery on the chorus feels a little jarring to me. The strong delivery of "it's Liverpool 1" to the almost whisper of "the past has gone" is a bit disjointed, would just like an inch more punch on the follow-up line so it doesn't get lost in the mix as much.

Also think the spoken parts become overpowering. If they were a touch or two quieter I think they would work a lot better.

Overall though, such a good song with a catchy hook - and bear in mind I'm not well-versed in this kinda genre so take my comments with a pinch of salt if you may.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Thank you again for the comments about Liverpool 1.  I do read and listen to them all.  Behind the scenes, I'm busy tweaking and making alterations based on what reviewers have said.  I'd say that I come to a compromise between everyone's ideas and my own without making extreme changes. That's largely because once I have the main ingredients on my DAW, inevitably it is quite a big production and I feel that major surgery is very difficult.  It's not that I have excessive numbers of instruments but that I'm always cutting up parts of tracks and making adjustments to very small sections so a new track is required.  I sometimes become a little overawed at the task in front of me.  I've tweaked 'Liverpool 1' until my ears bled.  It is 99% there. There's an annoying little blip on the acoustic guitar solo track and the obsessive part of my nature wants to replay it.  I'm also thinking about lowering the volume of the intro chords but I want to put this song to bed.    so I think I have now arrived at the definitive mix, barring more attention to mastering in the future.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/liverpool-1-4

Thomas -

thank you for reviewing.  I've adjusted volumes re the spoken word sections - once again, it's a compromise with what I wanted to achieve and your suggestion. :-)

Jamie -

Westwood to Hollywood was from 'Somewhere In My Heart' by Aztec Camera who really are a chap called 'Roddy Frame'.  He's one of my favourite songwriters and certainly my all-time favourite guitarist.  

Shadowfax, thank you so much.  I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the chorus. :-)

thank you so much suzy :-)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:30:21 PM by Wicked Deeds »

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »
Hi,

Great to hear you're back and recording again. This is a superb piece of work - right up my street. It's literate, sensitive, clever but not up itself. Beautifully sung, played and produced. The explanation you gave helped me enjoy the song more. I wanted more of that exquisite acoustic guitar break though :-(

The sheer talent shines through.

M

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:54 AM »
Hi Paul

Ah yes - now I remember your great sound!
Loved this - everything about it.
Behold a chorus that lifts like a chorus should!  ;D ;D
You stay true to that great hook throughout and the arrangement and length were perfect |IMHO.

Good work
Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
Thanks Monty,  I first thought that this was crying out for an electric guitar solo to cut through the mix and support the idea that this is an upbeat song but I love to play acoustic and so this is more suited to my style of playing.  Great to hear that you enjoyed the song and that the background story enhanced the listening experience. 

thanks

Paul

Hey Paul

thank you for listening and reviewing Liverpool 1  :)

Paul