LIVERPOOL 1

• 24 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: February 11, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
There's an updated version of Liverpool 1, with added guitar and spoken word.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/liverpool-1-4

I've just started to write and record again  after a long absence.  This is my first extended production for almost 1-2 years.  Liverpool 1 was inspired by the beautiful lady that I met after the end of my marriage.  The back-drop to our story was her home town of Liverpool and the wonderful days that we spent together in the Liverpool 1 area of her home city.  I used to take the train to Moorfields and meet my partner from work or alternatively, we'd travel into Liverpool together.  There's a reference in the lyrics to a busker who sang the famous Beatles song 'All my loving' - 'A busker sings a song of love, the words I've heard before.  Quite appropriate as we walked the streets of Liverpool on our way to The Cavern where we danced and sang to some of our favourite songs.   Mostly, this is about leaving the past behind after the heartbreak of a failed marriage and meeting a beautiful lady a year later.  I'm especially pleased with the lyrics: 'Music plays, rhythm swings. The band commence, the singer sings'.

Miraculously, I was able to sing the vocal which, was at the top of my range.  Thank you so much Boydie for your kind offer of helping out with software to help me reach that note.

Paul

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/liverpool-1-4

Liverpool 1

The train arrives at Liverpool,
I've got my baby by my side.
She wears a look that says her love is mine
then, my heart explodes with pride.

It's Liverpool 1, the past has gone.
It's Liverpool 1 and we move on.

A busker sings a song of love,
the words I've heard before.
The city comes alive and I reflect
How we've opened up a door.

Music plays,  rhythm swings.
The band commence, the singer sings

Written by Paul Vasey (c)

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/liverpool-1-4/s-v4SiT
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:23:52 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
Hi Paul

An uplifting song full of optimism for the future - I am sure I can hear the happiness and optimism in your voice. I know where you're coming from. Production wise, all sounds good to me. Guess I was waiting for an instrumental break at some point- I'm sure you could embellish it further with a little noodle!

Anyway, a very enjoyable listen, and it's stuck in my head after a couple of listens through. Really liked it. And I won't stoop to say I was waiting to hear "it's Liverpool 1 Arsenal 0" 😉

Bill

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Yo Paul.

The song has a fine groove,I'm loving the prominent bass driving the whole thing.

Lovely sound and I hope the overall process has been cathartic,so now good things happen.

I'm of a similar opinion as Bill,my fingers were itching to insert a swift 4 bar solo..but that's just me and don't make it right.  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »
Hi Paul. So glad you've for back on the songwriting train again. This is very uplifting. Reminds me a lot of some Liverpool bands in the 80s. Its a short piece and personally would have liked a drop out section before a final repeat of that brilliant ultra catchy chorus  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
I'm so pleased to receive the reviews above. I can see my thoughts re the direction for this are shared.  It will be quite easy to extend this and play a guitar solo. Question is, should I play out with a guitar solo, or bring the chorus back in after the solo. Once I've done that, Ill add backing vocals too. Thanks for the comments, they will play an important role in shaping the direction of Liverpool1.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:59:47 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »
Paul, A song with Liverpool in the title is always a winner! Great tune. Agree with Pompey on the Liverpool bands reference - I was thinking Shack. I love the way the melody on the verse doesn't follow the obvious track and the way the final lines are delivered is brill - sort of Prefab Sproutesque. Nice work. I think I will try some slight melodic swerves on my next tune, they add a lot of interest. Cheers.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Paul. Great work. Love how you write a perfectly good pop song and deliver it in just over 2 minutes. Of course you could lengthen it, but I say no need. It's a nice nugget of pop. I would suggest two minor alterations to the vocal melody. The words "pride" and "door" in my view would sound much better if they were one note higher. This is because the melody is soaring up at that point and this would enable the melody to reach the level it's naturally moving towards. It's just a small suggestion that I think would make a much cleaner and catchier conclusion to those lines.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
Lovely stuff. The backing all working well and that last verse line integrated with the verse but also acting as a Pre-chorus.

Almost the best thing for me is the title: Liverpool: 1, The Past: Nil. Or even the person that is "the one" from Liverpool.

Simple and really conveys the feeling. Yes, it could definitely go on half a minute longer!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
Hi!

I have no geographical references to cities in England so location wise
London, Manchester or Liverpool are, and no offense meant, pretty much
the same. I'm sure you'd agree about UmeÃ¥, Ystad and Gothemburg.  :)

The song has an airy freshness about it. Really good!
Yes an instrumental break or solo, I'd say on a verse  after the second
chorus, would give it a more 'conventional' feel. Also the guitar(s) could
be a bit dirtier a TS(9) with the gain at about 5 or so.

The vocals are good but I'd like a little less treble and more 'body'.
You wrote that it is in your upper range but I think it works really good.
A bit more volume on the vocals would do it good. The cymbals sounds
like they are mixed higher.

Great song!

- Martin

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
Hi Paul,

Solid write.

I think I'd go for the solo after singing "It's Liverpool one" at the beginning of the last chorus, I'd play the solo in place of the next lines of the chorus, then perhaps come back in with another repeat of the chorus.

Good to hear you in fine fettle.

Digger

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
I'm quite overwhelmed by the generous comments from everyone. I now have several points to consider as I think about steering this one home.   :)

Thank you

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 11:27:44 PM »
Hi,

Great treatment of a personal situation. I guess it proves the point that writing from the heart produces the 'real deal' in terms of engaging the listener, which for me you have done here with real style.

Memorable melodies and a nice clear vocal.

Would like to hear a longer version...

Phil
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:29:19 PM by boolio »
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
Phil

Thanks for your kind comments Phil.  I've since revisited this song and made several changes. Including changing several mistakes.   I will eventually repost but at the moment, I am locked in battle with Logic X  which behaves so differently to Logic 8. 

Thanks again for your kind review.

Paul

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
A well written song - the verse and a memorable chorus working well together and lyrics coming from the heart.  Production sounds good - a full sound and nothing I can comment on there.

My only gripe is that it's too short - I could imagine an instrumental/solo coming in towards were it ends, perhaps with some strings to lift it up high before dropping back down to another couple of choruses to end....

But all in all, a winner I would say.  And good to hear you've returned to the songwriting again!! :)