konalavadome

Makin' Lemonade (collab with Skub)

• 48 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
Good point Yodasdad.

Here's another version with a little swing on the drums,see which you prefer Vicki.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/vickis-lemonade-swing/s-MQ7XQ

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
Okay, I've listened to both again.

For me, the intro and guitar solo work better over the straight beat and the sung sections over the swung. That helps doesn't it.

Another alternative if you can't decide might be to have the hi hats/cymbals not playing on the divisions of the beat and only playing the 1234. The beat would then take on the characteristic of whatever the listener decided. Interestingly a lot of the drum beat in the solo is played this way. (In the straight version)

If I really had to plump for one or the other I'd probably go swung, but vary it up a bit as a swung beat can get very samey in my opinion.

Yodasdad

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
Good point Yodasdad.

Here's another version with a little swing on the drums,see which you prefer Vicki.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/vickis-lemonade-swing/s-MQ7XQ
I'm having trouble making up my mind. On the one hand, I tend to be in favor of really "matchy-matchy" stuff, and swing against swing is more imatchy. On the other hand, while I always noticed it was straight against swung, I never had a problem with it. Mixing the rhythm styles is a riskier choice and I'm not much for taking risks.

Reading that over, it's sounding like I prefer the matching rhythms, which is probably true. But I think it might be because I'm not comfortable with being different or taking risks. I see this as an opportunity to move a bit outside my comfort zone.

I'm surprised more remarks didn't include the rhythms. Is it because people didn't notice? Or because they like the straight against swing?

I"m going to think about it for awhile. And maybe ask for a few more opinions.

Thanks for asking, Yodasdad! I was happy with it. Now I'm all tied up in angst!  :P

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
Nooooo problem, anything I can do to help ;D

Like you said Vicki, I'm the only who's mentioned it so maybe it's just me being picky.

You could always repost it and ask the specific question as to which people prefer.

Can you find examples of where swung over straight has been done before and see what you think of them? If you can't find any, maybe there's a reason it hasn't become a 'thing'. Not my opinion, just a thought.

Is there a rule that a rhythm has to be straight or swung al the way through? I don't think so. Like I said for me personally, different parts of the song lend themselves better to each rhythm, you could make a feature of these sections transitioning from one rhythm to another if you wanted. Could be quite effective and could also provide the unease that you were after, just in a different way.

Anyway, now that I've opened up the worms, I'll let you and Skub get on and pick them up for a while.

(Whistles as he walks away)

Yodasdad.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Yodasdad, you are just evil!
Can you find examples of where swung over straight has been done before and see what you think of them?
Weeellllll, what about "Kiss an Angel Good Morning"? Although, that's in reverse, I think. Swing instrumentals against straight singing.

There's a whole discussion about swing against straight here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum10/HTML/202539.html, but the examples are mainly instrumental. And the consensus seems to be it sometimes works great but only IF it's done well, which is supposedly difficult to do. Hmmm, I typically can't do anything difficult.
You could always repost it and ask the specific question as to which people prefer.
You mean start a new thread? Is it cool to do that? I'm curious about this now and would really like to hear more opinions.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
Maaan. Tough crowd.  :P

:D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Maaan. Tough crowd.  :P

:D
;D Yeah, but look at all the action! We'll be famous!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
Here's one pretty much as YD suggested. Straight on intro and solo and more swing on the sing!

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/vickis-lemonade-straight-swing/s-RnsL1

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
I'm not sure whether it's okay to repost the same song, one for Boydie I guess.

You could maybe post it in works in progress as your considering it might not be finished or perhaps 'the writing process' as your after a discussion on a particular issue of I suppose writing etiquette.

Jeez, these worms are real wrigglers aren't they? ::)

Yodasdad

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
Just had a listen to the straight and swung. I think it could work but would need a bit of tweeking as the change between them is quite blunt at the moment. I know it's just a quick demonstration version Skub so I'm not criticising

I did have a thought while listening though...what about trying a compound rhythm like a fast 12/8? It might sound way too fast but it just might work as a happy medium between the two.

Oh this IS getting interesting now, it's like the Rubik's cube of songs.

Yodasdad

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
Just had a listen to the straight and swung. I think it could work but would need a bit of tweeking as the change between them is quite blunt at the moment. I know it's just a quick demonstration version Skub so I'm not criticising

I did have a thought while listening though...what about trying a compound rhythm like a fast 12/8? It might sound way too fast but it just might work as a happy medium between the two.

Oh this IS getting interesting now, it's like the Rubik's cube of songs.

Yodasdad

I think the difference between the straight and the swing is quite blunt,but I'm at the limit of my meagre daw skills when it comes to smoothing the transition. I'm a clatter of weeks away from learning how to record noises! From this point on the drum changes would be best implemented by someone who knows wtf they are doing.  :D

You're up YD.  8)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
I think we've probably bashed this one into the ground. My favorites are Version 6 and the one that's all swing. Several of the others--maybe all--work for me, as well.
I think the difference between the straight and the swing is quite blunt,but I'm at the limit of my meagre daw skills when it comes to smoothing the transition. I'm a clatter of weeks away from learning how to record noises!
I've been recording on a DAW for several months rather than weeks and I'm not even close to your level of expertise, Davy. And I think what you've done with it is fabulous! My husband likes it, too.  ;D

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
Skub, I agree with Vicki, you've done a great job and there's nowt wrong with your daw skills.

Vicki sounds like she's happy with it so maybe this ones put to bed now.

If you do decide you want me to have a go at the drums, give me a shout but I wouldn't want to wade in and tread all over your baby.

As for whether I know wtf I'm doing...well that's debatable.

I just mess around till I think sh** sounds good.

Yodasdad

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Skub, I agree with Vicki, you've done a great job and there's nowt wrong with your daw skills.

Vicki sounds like she's happy with it so maybe this ones put to bed now.

If you do decide you want me to have a go at the drums, give me a shout but I wouldn't want to wade in and tread all over your baby.

As for whether I know wtf I'm doing...well that's debatable.

I just mess around till I think sh** sounds good.

Yodasdad

Ta YD. It's up to Vicki,since it's her song. I don't mind at all if Vicki wants you to do further tweaks.  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
Guys, sorry late to the party.
Great intro and guitars. I'm really enjoying the tune.
But without reading the rest of the thread I think the drumming needs to be straight, the bass drum patten sound just wrong, then I read the previous comments, so apologies if this goes over old ground.
Warm and comfortable.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..