Makin' Lemonade (collab with Skub)

• 48 Replies

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
Ah, Vicki. That's awesome...great job by Vance on the guitars, backing vocals, etc.

Couple of remarks, trying to be helpful:

1) The vocal is a little drowned out by the instrument track/s. I wanna hear your 'Joni Mitchell' a little more clearly :)

2) When you go a cappella in the second chorus it feels a bit final, more like what I'd expect for the last chorus.

3) The fizzy pouring sound at the end made sense to me and obviously to you - but North Americans might be confused. Lemonade ain't fizzy over there (and your reference to 'when life gives you lemons...' is very much a US thing). Having said that - I had another thought about the line that troubled you: 'If ya wanna get fizzy you can join in my parade...'  ;D

But well done, both of you. This is great!

cheers,
L

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:58:10 AM by LAquila »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
Love the colab! Presents the song in a great way. I think the harmonies work really well. I felt the lead vocal could do with a bit of "air" in the upper reaches but perhaps that's a recording/mastering thing.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »
Hi Vicki and Skub,

Think the colab is great. Gives the song a totally different complexion. Like Adam, I think the harmonies work very well. Nice bit 'o pickin' there Mr Skubmaster  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Ta folks,it was a real pleasure to work with Vicki and was my first collaboration. The freedom of yer own DAW.  :D

We seemed to have a bit of bother when Vicki loaded the vocal wav to soundcloud it presented itself to me with a load of noise,like it had been recorded beside a busy road. I did my best to snip out bits,but it is in the whole track. We'll try Dropbox to see if there is a difference.

I've not had bother with soundcloud before,anyone any ideas on that score?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
As Vicki is sailing close to the wind with her broadbeanz allowance,she asked me to post up this latest version,hopefully the vocals are a little clearer.

The track is now public.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/vickis-lemonade-v4
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:03:29 PM by Skub »

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
Vicki, Skub...

Amazing! :)

We all know Vicki can write some lovely lyrics and put them to some lovely melodies, but it's a real delight when that extra dimension is added.

Fantastic instumental, intro is specially pukka - and great wind-down of music behind the chorus at ~1:30

I think I've heard all the versions popping up on soundcloud, and your "final" is my favourite which is always a good sign!

I think this is one of your nicest flowing lyric/melodies too vicki. The chorus just flows so wonderfully!

Sounds like an instant classic. I can't help think is needs a cheesy 80s video of a quartet doing some jazzy hand-movements, then flash-zooms onto the guitar over the breaks.

Beautiful!

Cheers,
Scott.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »
Missed this somehow..bit of a singalong around the campfire song..it works well,
bit more passion in the vocal would improve the song IMHO... :) :)

good collab guys..

best, Kevin :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
I don't know whether it's just me, but I'm not quite sure about the updated version. I think it's lost a lot of the charm it had in a simpler form. The country rock production seems a bit incongruous with the spirit of the song - it no longer sounds like someone relaxing out back, making you know what.

Is this close to how you wanted it to sound when you were writing it, or did you not have such an idea?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 12:54:00 AM »
I've listened to this song several times.  The lyrics read ever so well and the two vocals compliment each other in a lovely way. I love the guitar solo in the main body of the song but was unsure of the guitar introduction.  For some time I wasn't sure if it suited the song but over 5 or 6 listens, I'm starting to warm to it.  I refrained from reviewing this song as  didn't want to dwell on what I originally perceived as a negative point.  Either way, I love the guitar tone and the style of playing. The ending with the cork popping and the lemonade pouring is so cool; a fitting end to a song that is quite delightful in the message that it delivers.

Well done to you both on such a successful collaboration.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:05 AM »
Ah, Vicki. That's awesome...great job by Vance on the guitars, backing vocals, etc.

Couple of remarks, trying to be helpful:

1) The vocal is a little drowned out by the instrument track/s. I wanna hear your 'Joni Mitchell' a little more clearly :)

2) When you go a cappella in the second chorus it feels a bit final, more like what I'd expect for the last chorus.

3) The fizzy pouring sound at the end made sense to me and obviously to you - but North Americans might be confused. Lemonade ain't fizzy over there (and your reference to 'when life gives you lemons...' is very much a US thing). Having said that - I had another thought about the line that troubled you: 'If ya wanna get fizzy you can join in my parade...'  ;D

But well done, both of you. This is great!
Based on this and other remarks, we've updated the sound a few times. Thanks for the input and the very complimentary words!

Love the colab! Presents the song in a great way. I think the harmonies work really well. I felt the lead vocal could do with a bit of "air" in the upper reaches but perhaps that's a recording/mastering thing.
I'm hoping the most recent update helped that problem??

Hi Vicki and Skub,

Think the colab is great. Gives the song a totally different complexion. Like Adam, I think the harmonies work very well. Nice bit 'o pickin' there Mr Skubmaster  :)
We love hearing such sweet words! Thanks!

Vicki, Skub...

Amazing! :)

We all know Vicki can write some lovely lyrics and put them to some lovely melodies, but it's a real delight when that extra dimension is added.

Fantastic instumental, intro is specially pukka - and great wind-down of music behind the chorus at ~1:30

I think I've heard all the versions popping up on soundcloud, and your "final" is my favourite which is always a good sign!

I think this is one of your nicest flowing lyric/melodies too vicki. The chorus just flows so wonderfully!

Sounds like an instant classic. I can't help think is needs a cheesy 80s video of a quartet doing some jazzy hand-movements, then flash-zooms onto the guitar over the breaks.

Beautiful!

Cheers,
Scott.
I'm blushing! And I definitely agree about the extra dimension. It was a real benefit for me to have Skub involved!

Missed this somehow..bit of a singalong around the campfire song..it works well,
bit more passion in the vocal would improve the song IMHO... :) :)

good collab guys..

best, Kevin :) :) :)
Thanks, Kevin! I'm working on building up my voice so I increase the intensity of my vocals.

I don't know whether it's just me, but I'm not quite sure about the updated version. I think it's lost a lot of the charm it had in a simpler form. The country rock production seems a bit incongruous with the spirit of the song - it no longer sounds like someone relaxing out back, making you know what.

Is this close to how you wanted it to sound when you were writing it, or did you not have such an idea?
Thanks, Moomond! I appreciate your input. I didn't really have a particular sound in mind, though I'm sure I wasn't thinking country at all. Still, I find the outcome a pleasant enhancement to my simple strumming. I guess I think both versions have a place, depending on my mood at the time.

I've listened to this song several times.  The lyrics read ever so well and the two vocals compliment each other in a lovely way. I love the guitar solo in the main body of the song but was unsure of the guitar introduction.  For some time I wasn't sure if it suited the song but over 5 or 6 listens, I'm starting to warm to it.  I refrained from reviewing this song as  didn't want to dwell on what I originally perceived as a negative point.  Either way, I love the guitar tone and the style of playing. The ending with the cork popping and the lemonade pouring is so cool; a fitting end to a song that is quite delightful in the message that it delivers.

Well done to you both on such a successful collaboration.

Paul
So, it sounds like, if you heard this song on the radio, you wouldn't care for it the first time, but if it turned out to be popular resulting in repeated plays, you would have warmed up to it eventually. But even if not, no one song is everyone's cup of tea. I'm always amazed when people like my music at all. I never used to like anything I wrote, but I'm warming up to my work now, too. ;) I also love the pouring of the lemonade at the end. As someone mentioned, lemonade on my side of the sea is typically not carbonated (although there is such a thing available). Regardless, I think it works well and adds a light touch to the ending.

Thanks to everyone all the helpful and complimentary remarks. And to everyone who listened.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 06:53:20 AM »
Better than Bey-ouncey  8)
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
Hi guys,  great song and good to see the creative process in action!  Listened to v2 and v4 and both are good.  Must admit, I prefer the cut-down v2, it just has the simplicity there that fits the image of you in your kitchen singing away whilst a-squashin' and a-squeezin' those lemons.  Whilst V4 sounds fuller and more polished I think it perhaps takes a bit of the limelight of the vocals and guitar.

But both versions are really good and you should be more than happy with what you've both created.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Hi,

Loved the guitar work and overall sound during the intro and solo.

There's a real carefree and catchy vibe.

One thing for me, the drums.... The melody is generally swung but the drum beat is played straight. For me there is a bit of a constant battle going on between the two. I think it would be worth trying it over a swung beat to see whether you think it works better.

Most people feel it's quite difficult to 'swing' over a straight beat. I'm wondering whether the beat went on after the vocals were recorded, possibly?

Anyway, if you're happy with it, feel free to ignore me.

Yodasdad

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »
Iron-Knee;D

TimCurtis: Thanks for the compliment and the input. I enjoyed the image of me squashin' lemons!

Yodasdad: I was beginning to think no one was going to notice the swing vocal against the straight beat. I can't tell you why we did it; but I can tell you I sang swing against the straight drums--they were done first. It didn't seem difficult, although I admit I can't sing a triple beat against a duple beat. Apparently, swing against straight is easier for me than duple against triple or vice versa.

Now that you've brought it up, though, I'm thinking about it and wondering if it's the right thing to do. I think there should be a reason for every choice. This song is about dealing with stress. I see the beat style as demonstrating stressful situations, and the words as containing the solution to dealing with the stress. Skub and I never discussed this detail, so I can't speak to his reason for the straight drum beat, but that's my explanation. ;D Is it a valid reason? I can't say for sure, officially (if there is such a thing), but it works for me.

Vicki