ordering effects

• 1 Replies

mikek

• Open Mic
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »
what are some good rules of thumb for ordering effects on tracks?

thank you

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
Like everything there are no rules so go with what sounds good,  but I think you can narrow down your decision points

I like to use my "tonal signature" effects first - i.e. Amp sim or distortion effects and of course some "gain staging" to ensure the signal is not too quiet or too hot

If required I then like to use a noise gate to control unwanted hiss/cross bleed from microphones to give as clean as possible feed in to the other effects

Then the first batch of processors in the chain are usually EQ, COMPRESSOR and sometimes a de-Esser

In most cases I prefer to compress before an EQ

This allows me to find the right compressor setting for the track safe in the knowledge that any EQ shaping will not alter how the compressor reacts. This is also a good starting point for those starting out with compressors and eq

There is another school of thought that suggest carrying out subtractive EQ first (i.e. taking out unwanted frequencies and/or a high pass filter) - Then use the compressor - Then use another EQ to do any tonal shaping

The other decisions to make about the order of effects are related to what you want to achieve - e.g. With reverb and delays

Do you want the delay to have reverb or do you want your reverb to have delay

The quickest way is to experiment with the order and decide which order sounds best - it will vary from track to track

You can then get creative by changing up the order - e.g. A gate at the end (or on your reverb)

You can also have other effects, or other tracks, triggering effects - e.g. Sidechain compression

If you use effects sends - i.e. You have a bus with reverb on it - you can add effects to this bus - e.g. Using a High Pass Filter to take the low end out of the reverb to prevent it muddying the mix
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic