Can I use multiple bridges?

• 5 Replies

jonel

• Busker
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »
I wrote a bridge to ease the transition between verse and chorus. Can I reuse the bridge multiple times or, in this case, should the bridge be really part of the verse?

Thanks

Regards

John Lundrigan

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
Sounds like it might be a pre-chorus in disguise?

I don't think there's universal agreement on terminology anyway. At the risk of incurring the displeasure of some, I'd also say it doesn't matter what you call it, there should be no rules on many times you use it, and it's the end result that counts.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
If it sounds like money, it is money. No rules. Nuff said.

:D

Cheers,

Peter

jonel

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the positive replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
It does sound like you are referring to what is known as a "pre-chorus" or "climb"

There are no hard and fast rules but as a general guide...

Verses usually share the same melody but have different lyrics to communicate the story

A "pre-chorus" is used to "set up" the chorus - it will have a different melody from the verse and the lyrics can be the same each time it is used or they can be different

A "chorus" usually tries to encapsulate the whole message of the song - each chorus usually has the same melody and lyrics to try to make the song feel "familiar"

A "bridge" or "middle 8" is usually only used once to give the song a fresh feel (usually about two thirds of the way through) and has a definite contrast to the rest of the song- both melodically, lyrically and often rhythmically as well - before returning to the "familiar" chorus

A good starting point for a structure would therefore be:

VERSE
PRE CHORUS
CHORUS
VERSE
PRE CHORUS
CHORUS
BRIDGE
CHORUS
CHORUS

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
All's been said, actually...

If it works in your song it is fine. Normally you have as many lifts (also called pre-chorus) as choruses MINUS the one after the bridge (the part that spans the 'gap' between two choruses when there is NO verse). You even might have more than just one bridge (I sometimes use the same backing part for an early bridge and then again for a guitar solo). It's uncommon, but can work nicely (my opinion).

Have fun,
Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)