konalavadome

January Song Of The Month (SOTM) Competition

• 10 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
Hello

As host, I've decided to throw the competition open completely this month...

1) You can vote for ANY song you like...just one...no second or third places, please.

2) You don't need to message anyone with your vote, simply post your vote on the competition thread.

3) ANY song posted in the "Finished Songs" section in the month of January will be eligible.

On 1st February, I will open a thread called "January SOTM VOTES"

Simply post in the thread which song and forum member you want to vote for...no explanation is necessary.

I will leave the thread open for ONE WEEK, closing at MIDNIGHT on 7th February, then add up the votes and announce the winner.

My plan is to give EVERYBODY a chance to take part both as VOTERS and possible WINNERS.

Also...

Stay Tuned for a BIG announcement with an AMAZING PRIZE up for grabs in a SPECIAL SOTM for FEBRUARY  :o

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
You'll post a list of all the songs with links, right???

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
You'll post a list of all the songs with links, right???

yes  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
Do you still want me to host Feb or has somebody else with a wad of prizes volunteered?

i think so, John...we're still ironing out the finer points of it...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
To clarify...

I was simply offering something different just for one month to try to address the fact that we generally seem to have about 50 songs posted per month and only about 20 people bother to vote. I thought it was possible that

A) PM'ing the host with votes for 1st 2nd and 3rd was too complicated/time consuming.
B) The songs people would have voted for weren't nominated.
C) Most people who post finished songs aren't interested in taking part in SOTM.

I was trying to eliminate A and B and better understand the poor voting turnout.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »
It's good to try different things, especially if the current method has problems. If what we're trying this month isn't working, then we have learned something and can try something different.

I was not able to review every song (if I don't focus and keep up relentlessly all month long, I simply can't catch up), but I chose one from those I was able to consider.

I admit I was uncomfortable having my vote in the open. I don't know that using Survey Monkey would be more convenient than sending someone a PM, though. I personally don't find sending a PM to be inconvenient at all.

If choosing 1st, 2nd & 3rd is too time-consuming, then we could limit it to just first.

I have no good ideas for narrowing down the choices. I have medium ideas: select the 10 with the most views or select the 10 with the most REviews. And really, they don't actually have to be the absolutely 5 or 10 best ones, do they? Someone could select 5 or 10 by lottery and put those up for votes. Spread the love around. ;)

Just some random, muddled ideas....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
Hi Vicki...thanks  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »
Irrespective of the format of the completion, good on you for suggesting an alternative format. I'm hosting this month and I know you guys  all have your own ideas on how it should be run but ......I'll make up my own rules unless I hear anything else

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »
Hear! Hear! We're likely to get more hosts if they can make up their own rules. And we would have "potluck" competitions...never knowing what the next rules would be. Oooo, exciting.  ;D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »
I don't want to seem ungrateful - the hosts are doing a fine job regardless of the rules :)
But must admit I agree with montydog - I don't like the format of this month's contest.
It's not so much the open voting - it's the llllloooooonnnnng list - there's no way I have time to listen to every one so I'd just be picking one friend's song over another. Not really very fair on the unknowns here.
We could change up the rules in other ways - maybe we pick "best xxx" for example:
best lyrics
best arrangement
most emotive
best chorus
etc...
from a short list :)
My two cents' worth CAD
Paul