konalavadome

Looking back

• 4 Replies

SOS

• Busker
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
Does any one else have the problem when you write a song an think it's good then come back to it to look at it you feel like its rubbish?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:08:28 AM »
I think it's really common. And there are two things you can do. First one is ask yourself what you can do to make your song better, a song you can be proud of. It's difficult, but it can be done. The second is to accept that it's not the song you wanted to write, and move on. Write something else. Even the best songwriters have ideas they don't like, half finished and abandoned songs. It's all part of the process; they make room for the good stuff.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Pescatore

• Busker
    • Martin Pescatore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
Indeed - especially if I wrote it last thing at night after a little too much liquid inspiration. I had exactly this experience the other day when I "finished " a song, recorded a demo and thought 3 out of the 4 verses sucked!  So I completely re-wrote them and I am much happier about the song (especially because I was brave enough to throw away what I'd come up with in the first place!).
The key, as tone said, is knowing when to cut your losses...
I always try to keep the  songs/ ideas that haven't worked out - you never know when you might be able to re-use a piece elsewhere.

P

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
I get this all the time, but sometimes it works the other way. I spend to long on a track adding more and more samples, listening to it on a loop when experimenting with effects and then I end up hating it! I have to leave it for a while. Usually when I return to it at a later date I like it again, I think I just get sick of hearing it.

The worst is when I think I've written a good beat but then hear it through a different set of speakers and I'm like noooo!! It sounds awful so I end up tweaking it, trying to get it to sound alright on different sound systems/headphones is hard.

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »
Bob Dylan said that writing a song was like tuning into a radio station with all the songs to be written playing

I so get this

Sometimes I can play and play and play AND nothing

Sometimes it just happens - i am tuned to that station

I usually find the bad ideas are when I am forcing it too much

But the moment I post a song on here I get the doubts, "they will all hate it "  :o