Following Lights

• 30 Replies

Mono Stone

• Busker
« on: January 23, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
Hello, I did a new song at the weekend and I'd love to get any feedback on it...especially the mix, but anything that comes to mind.

The song is still a private link on SC until I'm done... but I THINK it's a complete song.

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/following-lights/s-VDTNj

Words -

I took the passage on the Devil’s Nose
Back to Quito by myself but I really don’t care
I got cheated on the killer coast
I got beat and cheated but it’s heaven down there

They come alive with the city’s dead
They’re getting down with the angel from my head
A brandy angel’s gonna fire the soul
Brandy angels on fire come on baby come now

Find myself following lights
And when I wade out
Find myself falling into life
And then I wake up
Again

I took a smoke from a passing ghost
She looked at me with big brown eyes like a whole life story
I couldn’t understand a word she spoke
But I knew I’d missed that spirit and I’d missed that body

Find myself following lights
And when I wade out
Find myself falling into life
And then I wake up
Again

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
Hi,
Love the vibe, I could listen again (and again) Perfect chill-out for me. I’m not sure I can add much more maybe your superb vocal could sit a little more prominently in the mix but I’m guessing that’s just personal preference. Apart from that I think the arrangement simply works and sounds very pro to me and the lyrics though full of ambiguity are cool imho

Okay I have to say I can almost hear the ‘pen’ of Rhodes and the voice of Le Bon going on but frankly what’s wrong with that?  Who were they again!

Seriously, very well done

Phil
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:09:35 PM by boolio »
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Very pro sounded laid back chilled vibe Mono. I honestly can't fault it, very well mixed and produced with top quality vocals

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
hi,
Chilled vibe, gently pulsating between the two chords on the intro and verse.
Melody line on verses not the most obvious but you do lead us achingly towards the chorus. 
Liked the words, being draw into this sinful world -  big brown eyes like a whole life story!
Hypnotic
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
Yo MS.

The beginning before the vocals came in reminded me of the groove set on Robbie Robertson's 'Somewhere down the Crazy River'. It also has more than a hint of 'Tears for Fears'. Very effective.

I've no real notion of the lyric meaning,but I don't care at all,because I'm happy to enjoy the imagery,dreamy song and dreamy content.

It didn't seem like over 5 minutes long at all.

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
Really enjoyed the listen.Pink Floyd meets Talk Talk in my head - fancied something additional at 2:22. Production and vocals excellent, some nice little sounds in there too - I feel inspired to get into this more chilled out songwriting style. Thanks for sharing.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
First impressions, really nice laid back vibe. Bass line that drives it on. Lovely vocals, especially on the chorus. I felt they could be more up front in the verses on the chorus. I found myself singing my own backing vocal on the chorus, but theres nothing wrong with as it is.

I like the breakdown at 2:20 and suggested comparison of Simon Lebon becomes clear

Really enjoyable

James

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »
Very pro sounded laid back chilled vibe Mono. I honestly can't fault it, very well mixed and produced with top quality vocals

I hope I'm doing this multiple reply in one post thing right...

Thank you Pompey, I'm glad you got that vibe from it and thanks for those compliments.

hi,
Chilled vibe, gently pulsating between the two chords on the intro and verse.
Melody line on verses not the most obvious but you do lead us achingly towards the chorus. 
Liked the words, being draw into this sinful world -  big brown eyes like a whole life story!
Hypnotic
 :)
neil

Thank you Neil, I'm glad it felt like that for you. It's what I really hoped :)

Yo MS.

The beginning before the vocals came in reminded me of the groove set on Robbie Robertson's 'Somewhere down the Crazy River'. It also has more than a hint of 'Tears for Fears'. Very effective.

I've no real notion of the lyric meaning,but I don't care at all,because I'm happy to enjoy the imagery,dreamy song and dreamy content.

It didn't seem like over 5 minutes long at all.

Thanks Skub. You really freaked me out and made my day with the 'somewhere down the crazy river' mention... I mean I didn't think this was anything like that (that's beyond me) but that VIBE was in my head ...and I can't imagine I was close to it so it freaked me out that you'd get that!! And yeah I like TFF too! The lyric is a kind of nightmare/fantasy I think, I just went with what came out of my head rather than questioning it. Thanks again!!

Really enjoyed the listen.Pink Floyd meets Talk Talk in my head - fancied something additional at 2:22. Production and vocals excellent, some nice little sounds in there too - I feel inspired to get into this more chilled out songwriting style. Thanks for sharing.

Steng, another one to freak me out... This song must be miles from Talk Talk, isn't it??? I dunno, but freaked me out because while I was singing it and struggling to get it right I thought 'Sh*t I wish I could sing like Mark Hollis instead of me!' I mean I didn't try to and I'm sure my voice can't be the reason you mentioned it, but I found it freaky that you somehow got a link...maybe the tune has something Talk Talk about it but I can't make out what...

Just glad you liked it anyway :)

First impressions, really nice laid back vibe. Bass line that drives it on. Lovely vocals, especially on the chorus. I felt they could be more up front in the verses on the chorus. I found myself singing my own backing vocal on the chorus, but theres nothing wrong with as it is.

I like the breakdown at 2:20 and suggested comparison of Simon Lebon becomes clear

Really enjoyable

James

James, Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure it would sound better with Simon Lebon singing it lol... Maybe the chorus does need backing...not sure. By the time I'd done the bridge (which is really sort of the real chorus in a weird way, I think) I was starving and I'd done like 50 vocal takes on various bits so I'd had enough. Maybe another time I might realise what is missing.

Hi,
Love the vibe, I could listen again (and again) Perfect chill-out for me. I’m not sure I can add much more maybe your superb vocal could sit a little more prominently in the mix but I’m guessing that’s just personal preference. Apart from that I think the arrangement simply works and sounds very pro to me and the lyrics though full of ambiguity are cool imho

Okay I have to say I can almost hear the ‘pen’ of Rhodes and the voice of Le Bon going on but frankly what’s wrong with that?  Who were they again!

Seriously, very well done

Phil

Thanks Phil, that's another freaky comment (Well the first, but ended up here last), nothing was further from my head when I did the music than Duran...but when I got the words in I got a feeling in me a bit like their older stuff gives me, sort of (I didn't like them as a kid, but secretly really liked some of their weirder stuff...a mate used to play 'The Chauffeur' a lot...and that never left my head), it was in the back of my mind. Maybe my head is just stuck in the 80s! ;) I hope it didn't all come out too 80s but... very happy you liked it!

Sorry if my replies are a bit odd. Just some comments both made my day and freaked me out, like you're all huddled round a crystal ball looking into my soul or something. Weird. Thanks again all!

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:49 PM »
Hi Mono, well you do sound quite like Hollis in parts, Laughing Stock is the Talk Talk album that came to mind, it's in my top 10 albums. Not like their chart stuff, check it out if you haven't heard it. Also the story behind how it was recorded is fascinating and quite bizarre.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
this is very dreamy & sounds beautiful ...is it ethereal or mystical or stoned ,in south america?  :)
I liked that simple percussion rhythm & the super bass sound  & its a realy good chorus..
songs like this travel at a different speed to me so Im constantly willing them to go faster  but this sort of hypnotised me into being a snail for a bit... :)
no its realy good & im beginning to see your own sound emerging in the 2 songs youve posted..
the only thing actually wrong with it is we are only allowed to post a song every 14 days
but I wouldnt worry ,nobody reads the rules when they join  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:57 AM »
this is very dreamy & sounds beautiful ...is it ethereal or mystical or stoned ,in south america?  :)
I liked that simple percussion rhythm & the super bass sound  & its a realy good chorus..
songs like this travel at a different speed to me so Im constantly willing them to go faster  but this sort of hypnotised me into being a snail for a bit... :)
no its realy good & im beginning to see your own sound emerging in the 2 songs youve posted..
the only thing actually wrong with it is we are only allowed to post a song every 14 days
but I wouldnt worry ,nobody reads the rules when they join  :)

Thanks Tinam, I think it's meant to be all of those things but it only ended up in South America by accident... The tempo is on the fast side for me ;)  1 every 14 days? Really? That will do my head in, I try to write and record a new one every Saturday...and then I have to play it to someone before I decide whether to bin or keep ;) Oh well...

About that bass... Since you mentioned it...Sound a bit too boomy to you? What do you listen with? I'm currently messing with it...

Thanks again!

Hi Mono, well you do sound quite like Hollis in parts, Laughing Stock is the Talk Talk album that came to mind, it's in my top 10 albums. Not like their chart stuff, check it out if you haven't heard it. Also the story behind how it was recorded is fascinating and quite bizarre.

Blimey... have you lot been told to make me feel good or something?? ;)  Wish I had a fraction of his talent. I can't agree, but thank you! I will check out Laughing Stock, I've listened to Colour Of Spring more times than I can remember... love their kind of ambient moody mumbling stuff, always wanted to do something like that but it's beyond me... I do my own slightly crap version of some mix up of the various people/songs I admire I suppose ;)

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing
I liked the whole vibe of it as a finished piece

the first line in first verse, first line in third verse just great

That is all I want to say

cheers

Lilly

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:55 AM »
As others have said, this is so chill. That bass line is just so hypnotic and your vocals suit the mood superbly.

I don't know much about mixing (see my thread for proof of that) but I reckon you've done a great job here.

L

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
Hi, I really liked this, a touch of pink floyd and I can understand others comments about Talk Talk too. Very nice vibe and a simple but effective arrangement.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
As others have said, this is so chill. That bass line is just so hypnotic and your vocals suit the mood superbly.

I don't know much about mixing (see my thread for proof of that) but I reckon you've done a great job here.

L

Thank you! :)

Hi, I really liked this, a touch of pink floyd and I can understand others comments about Talk Talk too. Very nice vibe and a simple but effective arrangement.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

Thanks for sharing
I liked the whole vibe of it as a finished piece

the first line in first verse, first line in third verse just great

That is all I want to say

cheers

Lilly

Thank you Lilly! :)