FAWM 2017

• 38 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
The whole concept of FAWM has always intrigued me. I'm not sure I understand it entirely though. Is the challenge to write/record 14 tracks completely from scratch and get them produced as a 'finished' track like would appear on an actual album or is the challenge to write 14 songs from scratch and get them in a rough recording e vocal and guitar/piano without all the polishing and bells and whistles)?

Kevin,  the whole FAWM idea is just to get into this environment & mindset where  inspiration will come fast & furious & you are able to get the songs down in a rough form as theres only time to record something basic..(you have to complete a song every 2 days to get to the 14 & thats going some!)

The standard varies wildly from amazing stuff to incredibley basic ...there are some absolute geniuses there who I have no doubt genuinely produce studio quality demos of a new song in 48 hours & then there are people who can hardly play a instrument , but no one acts superior  & people are very supportive ...after all its about the song idea most of all not how its presented

Some people are purists & insist on going there with nothing in their head,
others cheat terribly & will post a recording they obviously did in a studio 6 months ago & pass it off as something they whisked up last night! so its fun to expose them!  ;D
Most people go with a head full of ideas & put it all together in the heady atmosphere ..
I know its easy to laugh at FAWM & I do sometimes aswell ...I find it a  bit too american realy & cringe a bit  but it just works for me so I carry on doing it :)
theres lots of  lyricists there who look for musicians ..who are there looking for lyrics... but it all has to be done in Febrary
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
I've never participated, don't think I ever will. With that said I have no problem at all seeing the benefits of it all. Getting in that creative mood is key, no matter how you do it, it has to be done in order to get songs written. I would love to get into something like this but there's just no time atm.

I'm up to something similar though but nothing even close to what FAWM seems to be. I made a deal with a friend that we'll write and record 10 songs between Jan-May, have a summer break and then do 10 more the last half of the year, 20 songs in total. Two songs a month is about all I can muster, even that will be hard, but giving yourself deadlines is a great way to get stuff done, it's not everyone's cup of tea I get that, but I still highly recommend it.

Looking forward to hear how you guys feel(?) and what you've accomplished after February!?!  ;D ;D

Good luck and keep us posted.

Peter

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
I think it's a great idea and from what you say Tina it seems that its open for those with all abilities and levels of talent and know how. I don't really see what people trying to pass off something they produced 6 months ago are trying to achieve so I'm glad you can call them out on it!

It sounds like a great place to get the creative juices flowing so frenetically, especially for those purists you mention that come at it with a completely blank canvass. I'm not sure I'd be able to embrace that as I find things a little 'forced' when I'm working in a time frame much less one as fine as 2 days!

I might actually check it out and see if there's anyone interested in lyrics. Might energise me into writing a little more too!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
S, I think you singled out the key (for me) point behind FAWM. It provides a deadline, requiring a person to get something done by a certain time.

Our forum provides deadlines for us, too. The song of the month. The periodic topical challenges. People can set their own deadlines--short ones and long ones. For instance, "I'll make a list of ten song titles that would be perfect to go together for an album" (short deadline--the actual songwriting would be separate deadlines). "I'll produce an EP in 90 days" (longer deadline).

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
I have so much respect and admiration for those that take on FAWM and I love hearing about the updates from those who take on the challenge

It would not suit me at the moment but I wish everyone good luck with it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
thats very nice to hear Paul...i always felt most people here thought i was insane doing FAWM :)

anyway there seems to be three of us having a go: Me ,PaulAds & Igg

i think i might start a thread here in the bar to post a link to the songs we do ,if anyones interested in our progress

i do FAWM bcos i hate february so much ...im so busy at FAWM i dont even notice the month now

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
i always felt most people here thought i was insane

Post edited for clarity.   :D

Good luck y'all. A thread documenting progress would be very interesting. I can only stand in awe.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
thats very nice to hear Paul...i always felt most people here thought i was insane doing FAWM

I never said I didn't think you were insane for doing it!  ;D  ;)  :P

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Good luck to all! I have a particular song that I am putting all my energy into right now and that suits me better than working on lots for a short time. It's horses for courses really. And my time may come. But will follow with interest!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
I couldn't' possibly find time for this but can see how it might yield one or two positive results/ideas - mainly sketches/outlines to be developed at a later date.

Good luck to all who take part.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:19:23 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
On the topic of mass production,my recent addition to the list of DAW users has yielded 15 finished songs in that period. What it seems to do for me,is force feed the original germ of an idea,allowing me to complete a project much faster than I did before. Also ideas don't become lost/forgotten quite as easily.

I'd still be a back marker at the FAWM game.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:13 AM »
Tina,
Well I can write a tune in two hours but lyrics take longer..
How does the matching work for collaborating?
Rgds
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:08 AM »
Would be great to hear updates of how you guys are getting on during Feb. Good luck all  :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
Tina,
Well I can write a tune in two hours but lyrics take longer..
How does the matching work for collaborating?
Rgds
Neil
neil you just browse the lyrics as they are posted & ask the writers permission on their soundboard while you get to work on it ...nobody says no & by the time theyve replied youve got it done hopefully :)

thank you all for the good wishes & tonight i will start a thread for our FAWM progress

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
Interestingly or not, going back to Skubs post  about discovering a daw you can just Park an idea and then revisit it later whenever.  I've just remixed some long forgotten tracks