konalavadome

I Wish You Could Stay

• 21 Replies

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted anything up here. Life is so busy that finding time for music making is becoming more and more difficult. I hope to be able to give some more time to it this year...

I'm glad to see and hear that the standard of music and creativity here continues to impress me every time I get a chance to visit.

This is my new track "I Wish You Could Stay".

https://soundcloud.com/ptcruiser1801/i-wish-you-could-stay

It was inspired by a story I heard recently about a young woman who had a long term illness and one day was given a short time to live. The song tells the story of her and her partner in the last few days of their life together.

Here are the lyrics:

The look in your eyes,
Fills me with dread,
But they don't disguise,
What's going on in your head.

It's hard to dismiss,
But I can't believe,
That it's come to this,
I swore I wouldn't leave.

CHORUS
The light's growing old,
You're drifting away,
It's out of our control,
But I wish you could stay.

Our time has to end,
But I hope it's not today,
You're my best friend,
I wish you could stay.

INSTRUMENTAL

She turns and she cries,
"You know you were the one,
Perfect in my eyes,
For everything that you've done.

I'm sorry that you're here,
And I'm sorry for me too,
All our dreams felt so near,
Now they never will come true".

CHORUS
The light's growing old,
I'm drifting away,
It's out of our control,
But I wish I could stay.

Our time has to end,
And I think it's today,
Remember you're my best friend,
And I wish I could stay.

INSTRUMENTAL

If there's someone that you love,
Go and let them know,
That it's them you're thinking of,
Before you have to let them go.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
Hi PT.

There's a lovely folky feel to the song,which perfectly suits the emotionally charged lyrics.

You voice is lost behind the guitar on occasion,but that's an easy fix as the song is solid.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
This is the second classy folk number I have listened to tonight on the forum. Lovely and mellow, some nice picking going on and well thought out lyrics and song construction. Your vocals suit this so well as well. Good stuff

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »
Hey,
Wow! This gave me a lump in the throat!

Powerful stuff. Sweet melodically, well played and sung (nice laid back vocal suited the subject perfectly) have to say the genre is right up my street.

But those lyrics…certainly paint the picture, they had me kind of transfixed - Actually in terms of being moved by a song …I use Mike and the Mechanics Living Years as a bit of a benchmark…and this, for me, competes emotionally.

Great Job!!

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Hi!

Your song really grabs a hold of me. I guess I'm turning sentimental at old age.
Your guitar playing is really nice with only minor flaws. Nothing practice can't
make perfect.
The lyrics are great. Real heartbreaker in a good way.

Your vocals are a bit held back in my opinion. A bit too careful to show
your potential.

Thanks for a great song,
- Martin

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
Beautiful song, but desperately sad and hard to listen to in that respect. Difficult subject to say the least. You sing it well, really classy vocals and confident finger picking too. For me, I think your vocals could do with the subtle use of EQ to give it a lift in the high mids where it's competing with the guitar. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Lejonhjarta

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
Beautiful. Great guitars and perfect vocals for this tune. Awesome melody :) If you want some constructive criticism I'd just work on getting the timing between voice and guitar more tight. It's up to taste but I'm rather sensitive to timing in vocals... As far as the song goes it's brilliant.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
Hi, nice poignant folk style song. As others have said the vocal gets a bit lost in the mix so could be improved with some techy stuff. A few picking issues to be sorted and it's good to go!
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
Tremendous. I like that the vocal is quiet in places, adds to the emotion of the song. Sung like you mean it and great guitar. Beltin' chorus too. I have no songs like this that could just be sung with an acoustic, and I'm not going to even try and create one after hearing some of the talent on here, well out of my league - envious.

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
Such a sad song (in a good way!).  Your voice has the fragility to do the lyrics justice and goes well with the finger picking and makes for a heart-wrenching listen.  Good that you've had the time to do a new post - looking forward to the next one.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
You captured me with the first few bars of the intro - just beautiful guitar playing

To give that song a little extra "polish" I would suggest revisiting some of the rhymes as some seemed a little obvious/cliche, which clashed a little with the overall high quality of the guitar/vocal performance and the melody

A good track in a similar vein to check out would be Jamie Lawson's "I wasn't Expecting That":

He "gets away" with the more corny/cliche rhymes by following them with the refrain ("I wasn't expecting that") so the listener doesn't "dwell" on the couplet rhyme
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
Hi

Very nice playing and a strong, understated vocal.
Melancholy song without being depressing. It communicates the acceptance of the situation beautifully.

I agree with the production comments about the vocal getting a little buried, but as a tune it's great.

Digger

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Love that melody...it's got a very baroque feel to it, perhaps renaissance even. In any case, it reminded me of the kind of song a man might have used to serenade a lover.

The vocals match the guitar nicely and have the same lilting quality as the melody. Well done! This is impressive :)

L

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »
Hi PTCruiser1801, Nice song, saying that I wish the voice could have been more push out. Lyric very well written as for me. Love the melody, and your guitar playing was pleasure. Thanks for sharing.

Irwin
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »
Nicely done,
Good picking and lyrics all work, given the subject nature.
Chorus is subtly uplifting and nice with the picked tune too.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..