konalavadome

Question about choosing chords for a melody

• 8 Replies

jonel

• Busker
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
I have just analysed the notes of the verse and chorus of my song which is in the key of 'G'. It surprised me to realise that F# had not been used in either of these sections.

The verse begins on note G.

Since neither F or F# have been used then it seems to me that I can treat the song as in either of these two keys when I choose the chords to support the melody. Is this assumption correct?

Regards

John Lundrigan

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »
I can't properly answer the question without hearing the melody, but what note does it end on?  The vast majority of melodies end on the keynote (apart from some folk songs).  If it ends on a G, it's probably in G.  If it ends on a C, it's probably in C.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
This key thing has always confused me..  ??? is there a definitive way to know for sure which key a song is in?
when I'm writing I just go to a chord that fits the melody I'm on, I never stop to consider if it's in the correct key or not, but at the end of the day it would be cool to actually know what key the song is in..
cheers. Kevin :) :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:10:16 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
This key thing has always confused me..  ??? is there a definitive way to know for sure which key a song is in?

Generally speaking, the final chord of the song will be the tonic chord.  So if the final chord is G major, the key is G major.  Occasionally writers will deliberately end on a different chord to create an "unfinished" effect but it's always pretty obvious what the tonic chord is.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »

Generally speaking, the final chord of the song will be the tonic chord.  So if the final chord is G major, the key is G major.  Occasionally writers will deliberately end on a different chord to create an "unfinished" effect but it's always pretty obvious what the tonic chord is.

OK thank you, apreciate the info.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Radio

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
The chords you play in a progression you write should all be part of the master key, whether Maj, min, 7th, 8th, dim etc...

There may be a key change in a song, which would require a pivot chord for the point of transition to make it pleasing to the ear.

If you make up a progression in a certain key and play a chord that sounds wrong its because it belongs to a different key.

Knowing what chords belong to what what master key is fundamental to fluid songwriting.

• Busker
  • I Love SongWriting...
    • https://m.facebook.com/M.D.Music.Page/
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
If u have a melody in ur head hum it to a guitar tuner
Write down the notes (chords).

Then knit them together on Guitar Sorted... thats what i do...

;)

Melody 1st...
Lyrics Will Come After ;)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
Hi John!

I'm not sure what your question is but I'll give it a try.
You ask if you can use either F or F# as a key.
If that's right, my answer is neither.
The key is the comfort zone of a song. The tonal center.
If a melody starts with the note G there are, and I'm not overstating,
about a hundred chords (if you count all twelve keys(though math
is not my strong side)) you can harmonize to that G. So a single note
is not a ground for choosing or determining the key.

The rest that I write is about pop/country music. Not classical or jazz.

Chords are harmonization. Turning a melody into chords is not as straight
forward as it could appear. Most of us, I assume, play what sounds right/nice/
interesting/fresh when we choose chords. But theory can always, for better or worse,
be applied. So how does it work?
Well If a song starts on the note G then goes to A then E then C what chord should we use?
There are two obvious chords C(6) or Am(7). Why? Because most(all) of those notes are
within those chords. And as a bonus a tonal center is presented. And since the keys
C and Am are using the same notes there is no conflict between them in the aspect
of harmonization. They use the same chords C Dm Em F G Am Bdim(almost the same as G7).

If as you described, not use the notes F or F# you use the chords C Em G Am?
I might bee mistaken but the give a good example.
Those chords give the notes C D E G A B. So what key?
The short answer is that the first chord you use establishes the key.
Possible keys are C major E minor G major A minor. If the key is C you lack
the very common chord F(substitute Am), if its Em you lack B(m) the very useful dominant chord.
And so forth. So looking at the chords are not the way to go.
We need to go back to the melody.

Let the melody tell you the chords. Unless you know how to write notation or have prefect
pitch it's difficult but you can take out the melody on your instrument.
You then add up the notes, for an example the first bar, and look at how the melody flows.
Is the melody climbing eg C E F A and then needs to go 'back' to G. I'd harmonize it
with the chords C then F then home to C. (But Am Dm C would be an option).

So as a conclusion to this huge post. Most of it is up to you but don't hesitate to flirt with
the Minor or Major parallel-key. I'm sure I've been too easygoing with music theory
at some places so feel free to correct me. And please ask if you need further clarification.

Best regards,
- Martin

jonel

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
Thanks again Martin