konalavadome

In defence of theory

• 35 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Knocked this up from Guy's progression.
I suppose I could have dressed it up more prettily but.....how much time am I willing to spend on this!

Don't Make Me Lose My Rag

Oh lovely - and again quite different from my tune!  I tried singing "I Never Expected You" over the top of it and it makes quite an interesting countermelody.

You'll hopefully get to hear the original soon.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Hi GuyBarry!

It will be fun to hear the tune in its intended way.
To be honest your chord chart gave me a headache.
I just can't stand jazz chords there's too much tension
in them and at the same time an uptempo melody.
That is in now way a criticism to your song and
I might even enjoy it. I do like Django R.

It went down really well last night!  I think it's my favourite out of all the songs I've written.

Back to the subject. I think a too elaborate chord
progression can inhibit the interpreters flow of the
melody. Your fist chords F6 to Db6 ( in the key of F)
we have three notes moving and the note F standing still. (Right?)
All of these give possible implications of how the melody
could, not should, go.

The melody is quite chromatic.  I'm basically singing an arpeggio over the F6 chord, then I sing Ab-Bb-Ab-G over the Db6 and the C9, then the next note's an A natural and we're back into F again.  Fortunately I'm quite good at singing chromatic stuff!

Thanks for the rest of the analysis.

I'm glad you've found theory helpful (and not an obstacle) :) when composing.

I find it invaluable.  If I didn't know any theory, I'd still be writing with three chords, and I wouldn't be able to experiment in the way I do.  A lot of people on this forum appear to have a very different approach, so I'm glad that you appear to understand where I'm coming from.

The myth of the harmful theoretical and schooled and the awesome natural
talent is still live and kicking. Something tells me that's not gonna change
after all it has been around a few thousand years. That true talent can not be
taught. But all around us we see the contrary. It's all about will and determination
if you want to learn. If it comes easy to you, well happy you.

I like to think I've got a pretty good natural talent for music, but it's definitely been enhanced by knowing some theory.  As I've said elsewhere, I started learning theory when I was very young and in some ways my entire appreciation of music is based around it.  To take a simple example, I hear all music relative to a key (even if I don't know what key that is).  It was quite a shock to realize that not all musicians hear music in the same way and that some of them have difficulty identifying what the keynote is.

One of the comedy songs I posted for review some time ago is called "Christmas Cacophony".  The lyrics are (hopefully) funny in themselves but I put in an extra joke for musicians - the harmony keeps pointlessly changing key all over the place, with silly chord progressions like C-A-Db-G7.  I was surprised at the time that some people here didn't seem to get the joke - but if they had no concept of key, then I suppose it would just sound like a sequence of random chords.  Perhaps it's possible to be too clever sometimes!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:45:04 PM by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
For those of you lucky enough to be able to read sheet music, here's the song in manuscript.  I'll post the lyrics in the "lyrics" section.

http://guys-diary.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/blog-post.html

Note that it's written in "swing notation" (thanks to VC for putting me on to this), where what's written as two quavers is actually two-thirds of a beat followed by a third of a beat, so the effect is 12/8 rather than 4/4.  Much easier to write that way!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:55:46 PM by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
Well I did promise an audio recording of I Never Expected You, and the recording of the live performance isn't available yet, so you'll have to make do with this botched-up home-made attempt where I attempted to multi-track with myself.  Apologies for my terrible piano playing but I hope you like the song!  (I won't submit it for review since I haven't been reviewing other people's work recently.)

This will probably be my last post to the forum, for a while at least.  Thanks to all the people who've been supportive of me, especially PaulAds and Vicki (CaliaMoko).  Sorry if I've trodden on some people's toes but it's not the first time that's happened on an internet forum.  Happy writing!

https://soundcloud.com/user-193365401/i-never-expected-you-home-made

Oldbutyet

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
Well I did promise an audio recording of I Never Expected You, and the recording of the live performance isn't available yet, so you'll have to make do with this botched-up home-made attempt where I attempted to multi-track with myself.  Apologies for my terrible piano playing but I hope you like the song!  (I won't submit it for review since I haven't been reviewing other people's work recently.)

This will probably be my last post to the forum, for a while at least.  Thanks to all the people who've been supportive of me, especially PaulAds and Vicki (CaliaMoko).  Sorry if I've trodden on some people's toes but it's not the first time that's happened on an internet forum.  Happy writing!

https://soundcloud.com/user-193365401/i-never-expected-you-home-made

Comedy songs has to be seen to be funny but maybe its the mood im in but on recording it just doesn't work, maybe im wrong, you do remind me of Arthur Askey so maybe give it more of Jerry Lewis Dean Martin, just a thought  8)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 05:11:40 AM »
Good thread, but... I want to try an experiment.  Here's the chord sequence I originally posted.

F6   | Db6 C9 | F6 Ebmaj7 | D9  |
Gm7 C9 | F6 Dm7 | Db6   | Gm7 C9 |
F6   | Db6 C9 | F6 Ebmaj7 | D9  G9 |
C9   | F6 Dm7 | G7   | C9 F7 |
Bb7   | F9   | Bb7   | F9   |
Bb7 E7 | Am7 D7 | G7   | C9 F7 |
Bb7   | F9   | Bb7   | F9   |
Bb7 E7 | Am7 D7 | Gm7 C9  | F6   |

I haven't told you anything about the melody or lyrics that I'm imagining with it.  If you were given that chord sequence and asked to write a song around it, what would you come up with?

I just took a music course, and (for the first time in my life) can actually read and reproduce the chords you wrote here. 

I was considering just creating a song from the for practice. 

If it turns out to be any good (and I can actually DO it) I'll send you a p.m. and let you listen to it.  If you don't hear from me .  .  . well, you'll know I failed.  'o)
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.