Cover versions

• 33 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 07:31:20 PM »
I think cover versions are often way better than the original version, especially when the song is by Bob Dylan ;) Hendrix's All along the watchtower, and Adele's Make you feel my love are just 2 examples.

Also, I think Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah justifies everything that's deeply unpleasant about listening to Leonard Cohen, regardless of how well written his songs might be...
Lol I agree...The Bands' version of I Shall be Released is how the song should sound. Also, I'd rather not listen to Dylan massacre Mr Tambourine Man, even if he did write it :D. The Byrds' is way better.

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is the definitive. All other artists since then (Rufus wainwright springs to mind) are basically doing covers of his version, rather than Cohens. The original version rambles on for 7 mins and makes many questionable production decisions (gospel choir married to electronic keyboards and far out reverb ?!?)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Joe Cockers version of 'With a little help from my friends'   the only cover of a Beatles song that is actually better than the original..IMHO :)

Paul

Here's another:  

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:54:27 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
This is one of those covers that got me searching for the original. In this case, it led me to discovering the wonderful group The Humblebums -- Gerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly. A helluva combination.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is the definitive. All other artists since then (Rufus wainwright springs to mind) are basically doing covers of his version, rather than Cohens.

I'd agree with this, but I have to say my favourite version is KD Lang's. It's just stunning.
West Country Country Boy