Ain't Got Nothing

• 39 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
thats much better john , it all works lovely ...this is a cracker & Im realy thinking you have a sound here you could gig with (this & the last one)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Hi John,

Cannot really add anything apart from 'wow' brilliant song (again!) I know you can turn your hand to virtually anything but also I hear the genuine and distinctive style/feel coming through in your music, whatever genre you decide to work with.
Strong lyrics in this one too!

Phil

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
Dont know what you did ....but it sounds much better.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
Bit of a mixture of styles here but interesting nonetheless..always good to try stuff and learn from it...
as Tina said lyrics are a bit out of sync with the melody...
one thing you are NOT..is boring!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:31 AM »
Hi John, love this. My first thought on the intro was xtc, they did loads of quirky and interesting guitar things, great band. Loved the shouty chorus and the fact that it was a big change from the verses. The instrumentation worked really well too!
Your stuff is getting better and better, love it!
Cheers
Jamie

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
Wow - what a difference!  The chorus works much better and it all fits together really well.  Now a bit more Manics that before.  One tiny gripe: guitar could do with being a smidge louder in the chorus.... ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
A big Thank You to everybody who has taken time to review and comment on this song

Scott - Glad you liked it. I really wanted a raw feel to this song - Hope I achieved it

Bill - Thanks, I have done some more work production wise since the first post but like you say there has to be a stage where you leave it  :)

Paul - Great compliments much appreciated

Micky - Wow ! Thanks - That Iggy tune is a killer

Tim - You're absolutely right about the chorus and I've addressed it. That's why this forum is so brilliant  :)

Rightly - Bowie again ? That will do me for sure  :)

Vicki - Yes, I haven't got round to changing that yet but will do

Tina - Thanks for being so honest. I really appreciated that and all of your points have been worked on (I hope  :) )

Steng - I love the fish and custard reference, I do know where you're coming from. Hopefully now it's more fluent

Morefrog - Yes, was thing The Clash when I did the chorus

Skub - Funny thing is when I was playing in the late 70's then a lot of people made comparisons with XTC, nothing's changed eh ? Love some of their early stuff, Science Friction and I'm Bugged are two that come to mind

Boolio - Thanks, I do like to jump across genres a bit, Hey I've done 2 rock tracks on the trot. Maybe something different next time  :)

Kev - Yes, I try not to do NORMAL or BORING  :)

Jamie - Again XTC - That's a big compliment. Love that dischordant cross rhythm stuff

Cheers All

John

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »
Hi John,

Great intro. My kind of sound.

I think the drums could do with being a bit louder - they seem to disappear in places when the song gets busy.

Good energy throughout - builds well into the chorus. The synth in to it before the distorted guitars rip was a nice touch.
The first time I heard the chorus I did almost sing "get off of my cloud" after you sang "Hey you" ;D

Great tune.

Digger

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
Wow, it´s a punk-rock bonanza with style! I love it when you rock John.

The chorus on this is one of the best I´ve heard - it rocks, it punks you out and it´s anthemic. I love all the overlays as you go through, mixing high and low growly synths, but they are all add-ons to that cracking chorus. Easily the best song I´ve heard from you John. Cracking stuff.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
Cheers Digger & Martyn. It's weird as this is not too dissimilar to the stuff we were knocking out in 79. I've got some very worn live recordings on a Rasta blaster placed at the back of the room during a gig including beer glass effects and audience chat but I might post one up for a bit of nostalgia  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
John,
Interesting contrast between the verses and the chorus when you start to really let go.
That chorus is really STANDOUT and the song need it much more, you only play it 3 times at 0.57, 2.20 and at the end?
So I want more meat, less veg
 :)
Neil

ps
Do you need a licence to play on the Tele?
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 10:03:19 PM »
Ah ! A well balanced diet Neil ? Maybe I'll have to go with 100% Meat some time soon  ;)

LukeDaltonMusic

• Busker
    • LukeDaltonMusic YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
Great work!

From the very beginning the opening riff had me engaged and bopping my head. further down the line I got a real stereophonics/ manic street preachers vibe which took me back in time a bit (I love when music does that) overall a strong song that I find very catchy. keep up the good work :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
Hi John

Another great rocker from you.
That chorus is outstanding!
My only sugg would be in the arrangement - I thought a bit more light/shade would make it even better - maybe remove some instruments for the last bit before the chorus comes rockin back.
Or not - it's great as it is too.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks Luke and Paulski. I do enjoy getting a rocker together and this one has been so interesting to work on from taking the angry riff and transforming that into a song