konalavadome

Have you backed up recentely?

• 38 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
The music in in you Kevin, so there is scope for a new beginning. I'd be busting to get stuff down roughly while it was still in my head and I'm nowhere near as prolific as you.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »
Yeah..once I get everything sorted out I'll be back!!!
I've got a few first time songs..I always do a first version with a simple drum machine beat then redo it into a proper version, might put one up but they're really not good enough quality, wouldn't like to inflict them on anyone.. ;D

cheers, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
Looks like most of my song factory has disappeared >:( >:(!!-
kevin that is terrible news ,you must be devastated...I feel so sorry for you!  :(
I do hope this disaster might prove to be the beginning of a whole new era for you ….& a fabulous new sound!

Your "C Drive" is split into 2 "partitions" (the techy name for sections)
The first partition is a "recovery environment" in case windows goes screwy (another technical term  ;)) and the second partition is your proper C Drive with operating system etc.
I would definitely select both partitions on this drive so that you clone the whole drive
This will then give you a clone image of the whole C Drive - I call the clone file something like "170120 Tina Music PC C Drive clone" - the first letters are the date of the backup in reverse, which will ensure you can sort in date order if you have multiple backups
I would then repeate the process and select your D Drive - and change the name of the saved file accordingly
Paul thank you so much for explaining this for me
I knew I had a special drive for my music but didnt know the C one was in two halves ...like a brain I suppose?
but of course I cant do the backup now bcos ive been told my little backup drive is too small for all this & we are going to have to buy something bigger!
 ...so I think the 2nd backup will just have to wait
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »
Cheers Tina, it is a bit hard to come to terms with but hey, life goes on dunnit!

very difficult for a peeps to change how they work or the style they like to work with so I'll probably sound just as boring as I used to.. ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
Glad to hear it  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Glad to hear it  :)

Ha Ha Haaa....I got that ;) ;) ;)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »
Backing up large projects as you go doesn't have to be difficult or techy. What I would say though is if you're working on a laptop it's a much harder thing to achieve because of the drive partitioning required to get two "drives". In other words, a laptop holds only one single physical disk drive because of lack of space. You can partition it, so you have a "backup" drive, with all your files duplicated, but if your drive fails, it's fails as a whole, not by partition.

Get yourself a desktop though, and suddenly space isn't an issue. My desktop has two separate physical drives (along with enough space for two more). One contains the operating system and all my files, and the other contains a copy of all my files. Apple's time machine/ backup thingy takes care of backing up every day/ week/ whenever you ask it to, and if one of my drives fails, it's no biggy because everything I've done exists on the other drive. If you're super paranoid you could also connect a USB drive every week/ month and backup to that too.

Additionally, for the money desktops tend to be more powerful and have more memory, making them faster at processing the large files associated with music production. They don't even have to be massive - you can buy quite modest units with enough space for two drives these days, and hide them behind your monitor.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
One contains the operating system and all my files, and the other contains a copy of all my files. Apple's time machine/ backup thingy takes care of backing up every day/ week/ whenever you ask it to, and if one of my drives fails, it's no biggy because everything I've done exists on the other drive. If you're super paranoid you could also connect a USB drive every week/ month and backup to that too.

TONE - I would strongly recommend that you get an external drive to back up to that you only attach too back up to

You are covered if one Drive fails but you are not covered if your PC gets stolen or you get infected with a virus, which would "search and destroy" all attached drives

There is a particularly nasty virus doing the rounds that encrypts all of your drives and then "holds them hostage" for a period of time demanding a ransom be paid for the de-encryption code!!!! - if it isn't paid within the timescale given the drives are wiped

I just picked up a 4tb external USB 3 drive on Amazon for around £120 - it is a 2.5 inch drive so is completely bus powered - no faffing around with power cables

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Boydie - although being a trained IT technician I do have a couple of tricks up my sleeve for drive recovery. As well as running up to date antivirus software, I would also immediately disconnect any infected drives to avoid further corruption, boot from an uninfected drive on a non-networked machine and recover my files from there.

But since I have a spare drive sitting right next to me, I'm gonna back up onto it right now, just because you said so ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l