konalavadome

Have you backed up recentely?

• 38 Replies

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
Woke at 6am due to lingering jet lag, so rather than laze about in bed as I would usually, I got my sorry carcass up and I'm just backing everything up.  How smug do I feel.... :)

I can see it's been nearly a year since the last backup, so long overdue!!!!

I've used Sync Toy before and it seemed OK, though I think I had to make sure both folders where the same before starting it up, otherwise it didn't know which files were deleted and which should be copied (perhaps I just hadn't worked out how to use it properly). 

Currently I'm using something called Beyond Compare which I use at work for comparing code files, but it does a difference between 2 selected folders and all the sub-folders and files in them.  Then you can opt to display just the changed ones and copy them across.  I use it because it give me that bit of extra control to decide which files I copy where and which I don't.  Also, I find the interface really easy to use.  Only $30 so doesn't break the bank....

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
I recognise that smug feeling and it's well deserved!
 I was using carbonite, which started cheap but escalated to nearly £300 a year for 3 computers. I researched alternatives and was put off by the unnecessary complexity of it all (as if they want to hook you in). Settled on two 'my passport for mac' drives which I alternate a backup to every week or two, keeping one offsite. The mac creates its own initial backup then it's incremental after that. It's easy, cheap, safe, comprehensive and totally under my own control.
All my normal size files are on iCloud or Dropbox too. The two drives take care of the big and important stuff (GarageBand / logic files).
For backups, smug is good 🤓
GTB

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
How do you create a clone/image? I back up to an external hard drive (not often enough, doing now, thanks Kev), but I don't understand the whole ghost image thing or whatever it is.

A "clone/image" file is a snapshot of your whole hard disk in the exact state it is in at that time - including all of your precious files, the operating system, all of your installed programmes and plugins

So - if you take a clone image of your hard drive and put this image file on to your external hard drive you will always be able to get back to the exact state your computer was at when you did the clone image - often within a few minutes!!!!!

This is perfect if you want to change your internal "C drive" to a bigger one - you simply create a clone, put the new hard drive in, copy the clone to the new hard drive and voila - you are up and running

It is obviously also the dream backup solution - if your hard drive fails (eg gets corrupted, physical failure, virus infection etc.) you simply need to get a new one and reinstall your image and you are up and running - no faffing around re-installing operating systems, updates, programmes etc.

I would also highly recommend the FREE Macrium Reflect (which I have used successfully myself)

The only caveat is that the clone image files may not install on a different PC (so if a laptop got stolen it is not a complete safety net - so keep your installation discs or files for downloads) as some programmes link themselves to the computer ID and the drivers will be expecting the exact same setup as your old PC)

However, changing PCs is always a good time to have a fresh start and just install the prgrommes you need

I would therefore suggest a sensible backup solution would be:

Create an image of your C Drive

Create another backup (on the same hard drive if it is big enough) of your folders, files and any software installation files you have downloaded

When you have created this backup on one external hard drive - copy the entire contents on this hard drive to another external hard drive (it is said data is never deemed safe until it is in 3 different places)

Ideally, you would then want to keep one of these external hard drives "off site" (at work, a friend's house, a relative etc.)

I would also suggest a separate backup of really important files (especially family photos, music files etc.) to DVDs and put them somewhere safe off site
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Good advice from Paul..I created an image of my C drive using the Windows 7 image back up that is included..it always worked fine, have used it several times, but, guess what, the image I had is on one of the 2 TB disc's that's gone pear shaped..so, as Paul says, back up yer back up!!!

word so far on my computer is not looking good!!! :( :( :( check disc started automatically and started deleting stuff while i was making a coffee...then it wouldn't damn well stop!

If yer not backing up NOW, yer a bigger idiot than I am!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
Should one leave an external hard drive connected 24/7 or just bang it in once a week?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 06:51:19 PM »
I just plug an external drive in every couple of weeks or when I've changed something dramatically...then I just drag the whole GarageBand folder over...

I do small productions, simple arrangements, and songs I'm generally glad to see the back of  :)

Having said that...I uncovered that "Mr Sanders" cover I did a while back on a backup drive...thought I'd lost it (and wasn't too bothered) so I tweaked the drums and vocals and re-uploaded it. I think it's much better now. I very rarely look back at stuff.

I like blitzing my OS X every year or so and starting from scratch...it only takes a couple of hours and is as good as new. My MacBook Pro is nearly seven years old now...and whizzes along nicely

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
Should one leave an external hard drive connected 24/7 or just bang it in once a week?

Unless you are using the external hard drive DO NOT LEAVE IT ATTACHED

If you are unlucky enough to get a virus it can spread to all attached drives - even network drives, so it is best to only attach external back up drives when you are doing a back up

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »
could i ask for some advice please :)
it seems the backups i was doing were only my songs & not everything else on the computer
so ive downloaded macrium free & am trying to understand it ...no one else at home seems intersted in protecting our computer!
anyway its saying i have 3 things in the computer & i realy dont know which one im supposed to backup
they are listed as:
MBR disk1
1. WinRE (none) NTFS Primary    2. WinVista (C) NTFS Active

MBR Disk2  
1. New volume (D) NTFS Primary

does that make senseto you ? its a windows 7 computer but it was windows vista

thanks!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
Tina, I just told mine to back up everything. I figure I need it all if my hard drive dies.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »
Hi TINA

You have 2 hard drives, a "C Drive" and a "D Drive"

Your "C Drive" is split into 2 "partitions" (the techy name for sections)

The first partition is a "recovery environment" in case windows goes screwy (another technical term  ;)) and the second partition is your proper C Drive with operating system etc.

I would definitely select both partitions on this drive so that you clone the whole drive

This will then give you a clone image of the whole C Drive - I call the clone file something like "170120 Tina Music PC C Drive clone" - the first letters are the date of the backup in reverse, which will ensure you can sort in date order if you have multiple backups

I would then repeate the process and select your D Drive - and change the name of the saved file accordingly

Once you have completed this you should have 2 clone image files - I would then copy these somewhere else as a 2nd backup and you are done

You are then safe in the knowledge that you can always bring that PC back to the state it was in when you did the backup (without having to reinstall the operating system, software, updates, files etc.)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »
Great advice all. Just did a separate backup last night onto a external hard drive and stashed in my desk at work. Couldn't believe there was 50gb of music files !

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
I could well believe it John, both you and Kevin are proper song factories.  :D

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Looks like most of my song factory has disappeared >:( >:(!!-
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
Looks like most of my song factory has disappeared >:( >:(!!-

Aw man. I feel for ya.  :(

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
Ah well,onwards and upwards, during the 2 weeks without a puter I've been making my studio a better place to be, re built my soundbooth, it was too small, kept running out of air ::) and painted the studio grey..I like grey 8) 8)
bought a massive screen to so's it's easier to see the Mixbus mixer...
looking forward to a new start...
aparentley most of my stuff was converted (or summat!) to orphan files..never heard of em ???
and some other stuff happened, not gonna go down the trying to get it all back road, it's not like I'm doing anything important...and it could be quite expensive,
rather spend money on the studio..

I wonder what key all those song drafts were in? ;D ;D

cheers, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!