The best song you've written?

• 82 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:38 PM »
More great stuff to enjoy...thanks folks!

I've just got to say...what a talent Tom Boswell is...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
More great stuff to enjoy...thanks folks!

I've just got to say...what a talent Tom Boswell is...

Thee speak true Paul.  :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »
Enjoying the hell out of this, there's so many songs and such great talent I would've missed if it wasn't for this brilliant thread.

If there'll ever be a one called "The best thread you ever started?", this will be the classic and epic one to beat!  ;)

Personally I will refrain from posting my favorite song because I haven't been at it for that long*, I started recording my songs last year and I'm only up to 5 I think so far. Too early and too few hinder me from posting that one "classic" song I wrote. Give me a year and I'll come back.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Peter

*If anyone's confused, I've been writing for the most part of my adult life and as some of you know also worked in the biz for some time, but that was songs for others to perform. It's only 6 years ago I started writing songs for myself that I wanted to perform, and only like a year ago I started recording them. Why it took me almost 30 years to do this is beyond my understanding but at least I'm here now.
Anyhoo, just to clarify.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
A rough guess and a link would be great, Verlon  :)

Hi Paul:  

Sorry to take so long to reply.  I've had the flu for awhile.  

There is a link at the bottom of every post of mine that takes anyone who wishes to go there to my Reverbnation site.  Anyone is completely welcome to go and have a listen.  

As far as which songs are better than the others. . . I really don't have much help to give.  

Might try "Picture a World",  and/or  "True Blue" and/or  "An Unwilling Witness to All That remains"  and/or "Heaven Won't Have Me".   If you ask me tomorrow, I'd have a different list. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:42:20 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
Excellent...thanks, Verlon...I'll definitely check those out  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
Thought I'd give this a bump...I'd love to hear some more  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
Hi Paul, the whole writing, recording playing etc thing is such a journey for me, that I would say when I wrote and recorded things in general the last thing I've done has always been my favourite. When I look back I can see the journey I've been on, and maybe I've still got lots to learn :o. But...... I actually think the last 3 guitar songs I've done are the best songs I've written. The river still flows, Torture me and , You don't want to know. I think they're the most mature, best structured and easy to access songs. For what it's worth!
Cheers
Jamie

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
The first song I ever posted here "I Learned To Walk". It's been downhill ever since (for songwriting, not walking. The walking has mostly been uphill!).

https://youtu.be/XoI6b0gQlL0?list=PL83ELRdb5dUcgTDXxyLuQwqB9KyJ0Va4e

Cheers
D
excellent

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »
'I learned to walk' is a fantastic song!

Paul

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
best song is a toughie.  best by decade might be easier, but still very difficult.

however, if i go way back, more than 30 years (wow) i have a tune that has always been very dear to my heart.  i can still remember the day i wrote it quite clearly.  i still lived at home with mom & dad and had a twin bed in my room.  i was sitting on the end of the bed with my amp pointed right at my head, straight away.  that's where i wrote the song.  i wrote a number of tunes in that small bedroom.

anyway, keep in mind the year was 1985, and we were in the height of the cold war.  me, being raised up in a Pentecostal church, had lived my entire life hearing about Armageddon, the rapture, the inevitable doom of humanity, etc... and at the time i believed there would be a nuclear holocaust, i would never marry, have a family, or a chance at a normal life. 

fast forward a few years and my view on the hopelessness of mankind had changed a bit, but anyway, at the time, the emotions and fears were quite real to me.

so this song is about just that, the fear of nuclear holocaust.  its titled Sleeping with A Giant.

i still to this day, play it, albeit, more mellow, slowly and on acoustic.

i'd categorize it as 80s power pop, and i think it still holds up. 

keep in mind the year it was recorded was 1987 and i think we spent about $2000 on the recording project.  that was a bunch of dough back then, but it only bought us 1 day in a studio with an engineer.  we managed 6 songs that day.

https://www.reverbnation.com/therayn/song/1822850-sleeping-with-giant-ep-return-to

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
I really like Painting By The Roadside - but that's just my most recent completed song and I tend to always think the one I'm writing is the best

I certainly hope that won't be the best song I'll ever write!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:56:29 PM by JonDavies »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
I don't have a a favourite but there are a number of songs that stand out for me.  They often mark a significant event.  This one was written for my Dad, a fisherman who I didn't see for more than twenty years before he died.  I posted this several years ago and my good friend Andy Cruise (KAfla) sang the vocal. This version is the one that I first produced with my voice.  It's such a personal song that I had to do a version that included my singing.  .  It's such a complicated lyric that it would take more than a little explanation.  Suffice to say that every word has great significance and tells a story about the relationship that I had with my Dad, the scattering of his ashes at sea, the dreams that followed his death, and the love and anger that I carried for many, many years in his absence. 

The song is called 'Still Remains'.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/still-remains

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
Wicked Deeds  - really nice song, just great.

my father past away 5 years back now, and i had a few writes come out from that event.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
best song is a toughie.  best by decade might be easier, but still very difficult.

however, if i go way back, more than 30 years (wow) i have a tune that has always been very dear to my heart.  i can still remember the day i wrote it quite clearly.  i still lived at home with mom & dad and had a twin bed in my room.  i was sitting on the end of the bed with my amp pointed right at my head, straight away.  that's where i wrote the song.  i wrote a number of tunes in that small bedroom.

anyway, keep in mind the year was 1985, and we were in the height of the cold war.  me, being raised up in a Pentecostal church, had lived my entire life hearing about Armageddon, the rapture, the inevitable doom of humanity, etc... and at the time i believed there would be a nuclear holocaust, i would never marry, have a family, or a chance at a normal life.  

fast forward a few years and my view on the hopelessness of mankind had changed a bit, but anyway, at the time, the emotions and fears were quite real to me.

so this song is about just that, the fear of nuclear holocaust.  its titled Sleeping with A Giant.

i still to this day, play it, albeit, more mellow, slowly and on acoustic.

i'd categorize it as 80s power pop, and i think it still holds up.  

keep in mind the year it was recorded was 1987 and i think we spent about $2000 on the recording project.  that was a bunch of dough back then, but it only bought us 1 day in a studio with an engineer.  we managed 6 songs that day.

https://www.reverbnation.com/therayn/song/1822850-sleeping-with-giant-ep-return-to

This is a great song Mike.  The 80's and nineties were th decades that from a musical ambition perspective, everything seemed possible.  This track really stands up as a great example of that time.  The acoustic drum kit makes for a great driving force here.  

I remember the days of studio recordings.  They cost a fortune and like you, my band mates and I crammed as many recordings into a session as was possible.  Where does time go to? :-)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:19:46 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »
Cheeky bump...loads of new members who are producing great songs...

i'd love to see a few posting some of their finest here, please  :)