konalavadome

Creating basic backing tracks

• 7 Replies

martynjones84

• Busker
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could help me. If I wanted to write lyrics and melodies but don't play any instruments, what would be the easiest way for me to create or obtain backing tracks?

I'm aware of packages like sonar etc but they are pretty advanced for me. I'm not after quality of a finished product, just the ability to make a basic tune.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
What platform are you working on (windows/mac etc)?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

paganskins

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
What platform are you working on (windows/mac etc)?

If you've got a mac garageband would work well using the supplied drum and instrument loops to build up songs

Gabe Carter

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could help me. If I wanted to write lyrics and melodies but don't play any instruments, what would be the easiest way for me to create or obtain backing tracks?

I'm aware of packages like sonar etc but they are pretty advanced for me. I'm not after quality of a finished product, just the ability to make a basic tune.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'd go to soundclick, soundcloud, PMP and Roc battle and find producers instrumentalists and see if you can write to their songs and then shop them around. There are literally thousands out there with music instrumentals just sitting there.

a Decent DAW like Sonar, Protools or my personal Favorite Reaper would be a great addition along with an interface and microphone to record your songs to them and sending them back to the producers/instrumentalists.

Explain your just a songwriter and want to work with them to shop the songs. :) Tons of free songs fully done for you to write lyrics and melodies to!

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
Do you have a smartphone? (Android) If so, get ChordBot. It's bloody amazing. Check out just some of its features here -->

massa

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Do you have a smartphone? (Android) If so, get ChordBot. It's bloody amazing. Check out just some of its features here -->

Is that "Rou-ma-hometown" - that looks an amazing bit of software I'd love it!!! I have a BB though, not an android! Wonder if there's something similar on their app store!

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

Is that "Rou-ma-hometown" - that looks an amazing bit of software I'd love it!!! I have a BB though, not an android! Wonder if there's something similar on their app store!

I am sure there is similar for the BB. I know there's definitely similar for the iPhone. It's great for writing songs anytime, anywhere and I also connect it to an amp and play along on guitar to get a feel of what a song sounds like with more instruments.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
Well, everyone above has gonna the digital route of creating tracks with as little input as possible, so Im gonna suggest you try the traditional route. either:

1) Find someone who plays an instrument to play with
2) Learn an instrument! A guitar can be picked up for as little as £30. A little time and effort is all it takes :)