Just Take A Breath - Henry O'Farrell

• 23 Replies

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
Henry,

Great song and I'm blown away by your confidence to record your songs in one take and in video form! It's more than I think i'll ever do!

Keep up the good work!

Paul :)

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
Nice effort Henry - Vocal style does sound a bit like a Ed Sheeran Tribute act but you are young enough to develop your own style in time - You have a raw talent that i'm very envious of.

This song would not sound out of place on one of Ed's albums so you are defiantly going in the right direction :)

Wow, thank you so much, what an inspiring reply. A few people have said that I sound like various people, but I guess my own style will come with time.

Thanks again,
Henry O'Farrell

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 06:56:14 PM »
You´re too young for this level of talent Henry. Extremely nice song indeed - I reckon 95% of it is nailed. Others have already mentioned the "clingy" line and the 2nd verse being a bit rushed but you can easily fix those. Other than that it works really well...although I thought the chorus sounded better after the verse, so maybe you want to put a verse first.

Defo needs the big band treatment though. Your guitar playing is really good and so is your singing, but I would love to hear a full lush production over these. You can write songs but I reckon a good producer and big sound would bring out a huge potential.

EDIT - I just went out to walk the dog and had the chorus going around in my head. Must be a good sign  :D

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 05:53:09 PM »
You´re too young for this level of talent Henry. Extremely nice song indeed - I reckon 95% of it is nailed. Others have already mentioned the "clingy" line and the 2nd verse being a bit rushed but you can easily fix those. Other than that it works really well...although I thought the chorus sounded better after the verse, so maybe you want to put a verse first.

Defo needs the big band treatment though. Your guitar playing is really good and so is your singing, but I would love to hear a full lush production over these. You can write songs but I reckon a good producer and big sound would bring out a huge potential.

EDIT - I just went out to walk the dog and had the chorus going around in my head. Must be a good sign  :D

Thanks very much, it's comments like these that make me keep writing, so encouraging!! Producing songs is something that I have been trying to learn more about and start doing. I will defiantly try and create a band version of this.

Thanks again for your awesome reply man, big thanks!!!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
Henry,
Good title
Nice strumming vibe to this. Guitars sounding good and vocals sound fine.
Thought: perhaps you could have some slight variation on the verse melodies, go down at the end of one line but when you repeat it go up.
i'd be inclined to repeat 'take a breath' vocal line in the chorus, e.g. you sing it at 2.24, i'd repeat the line at 2.35. Just a thought.
Scub mentioned Cat Stevens and I'm also hearing a touch of Damien Rice in there somewhere..
Have fun
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »
Henry,

Great song and I'm blown away by your confidence to record your songs in one take and in video form! It's more than I think i'll ever do!

Keep up the good work!

Paul :)

Thanks a lot, it means so much! It sort of gets easier the more you do. The first video will defiantly be the scariest to film, but from then on they just get easier to film and post! You should try :) Semd me the link and I'll help if you want :)

Henry O'Farrell

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
Henry,
Good title
Nice strumming vibe to this. Guitars sounding good and vocals sound fine.
Thought: perhaps you could have some slight variation on the verse melodies, go down at the end of one line but when you repeat it go up.
i'd be inclined to repeat 'take a breath' vocal line in the chorus, e.g. you sing it at 2.24, i'd repeat the line at 2.35. Just a thought.
Scub mentioned Cat Stevens and I'm also hearing a touch of Damien Rice in there somewhere..
Have fun
 :)
Neil

Big thanks for your reply, and what great advice. I will have a tinker and see if I can adapt the melody slightly, and change it a bit. Thank you again for your positives on my drumming and vocals, it means a lot :).

Cheers,
Henry O'Farrell

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
Hi Henry,

Nice song and very good playing.
To be honest I'm not keen on the vocal style - it sounds fine,  it's just not my thing (I would say the same about the aforementioned Ed Sheeran or Jake Bugg)

A well written song, very well performed.

Digger

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
Hi Henry,

Nice song and very good playing.
To be honest I'm not keen on the vocal style - it sounds fine,  it's just not my thing (I would say the same about the aforementioned Ed Sheeran or Jake Bugg)

A well written song, very well performed.

Digger

Okay, thank for the complements on my playing and singing. Okay, I suppose it's not for everyone, but I will take it into account. All advice and feedback helps so much, thank you!

Henry O'Farrell