Vote--December SOTM!

• 71 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »
So...pompeyjazz has volunteered to host February (if no one else steps up).

PaulAds says he'll do January, if no one else steps up. I'm pretty sure both of them have hosted in the past year, but probably only once each, so if they do this, in my opinion they'll have put their time in for the year, right??? I really think we need to spread the load around to keep from overworking anyone.

I don't really know the protocols....so does this make it official, or do we wait to see if someone else will come out of the woodwork and volunteer for January?

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 05:21:38 AM »
I know I've been revisiting this thread over time and several other similar threads. I would like to suggest that for the February contest which I am quite willing to host (Can't do January) We have Open house and any of the songs posted that month could be voted for ? Whaddya think fellow forumites ? Just thinking of ways to get more participation AND remember how bleedin scared you were when you posted your first song on here. I'm sure that quite a few guys can be scared off. This is a Songwriters forum. Lets support songwriters irrespective of where they are on their development and what quality of production etc is being submitted. Cheers John Pompeyjazz  :)

If I remember rightly, the competition was set up this way because it was thought that forum members wouldn't have the time or inclination to listen to every song that is posted every month. I think this is a fair point but it's not down to me. It's really down to Boydie.

I think the 100 post requirement is a good one, but I think we should make it a more pro-active contest by calling on those, who want to enter the monthly competition, to actually submit their song.
Maybe a specific monthly competition thread should be opened for those to post their submission.

I think this would foster a new excitement, inspiring more people to enter; and thus, garner more participation with the voters, as well.  ;D
                                                                             -T
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:23:55 AM by IronKnee »
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »
Having to say "I hereby enter my song for SOTM" seems a bit counterproductive to me. I think most people hold a small hope somewhere inside that they'll make it onto the list. And a system favouring the driven over the humble often won't correspond with quality or originality.

We here may have listened to all the songs this month but we'll vote anyway. I think the current format puts things on a plate for the less committed voters.

Having said all that, if we're getting 12 votes a month then perhaps all is not well! Happy to experiment, but I can't immediately see a better system than what we've got.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
heres a list of the people whove hosted Song of the Month going back to september 2015
so if your names not on the list you are shirking &  realy should volunteer to host it if you appreciate your forum
it doesnt require much work & only a little organising

Vicki
Scott
Delboy
Neil
Skub
Monty
Tina
Martyn
John (pompeyjazz)
Neil
Paulski
Paul Ads
Viscount Cramer
Jamie
Adam Farr
Hardtwistmusic
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »
Having to say "I hereby enter my song for SOTM" seems a bit counterproductive to me. I think most people hold a small hope somewhere inside that they'll make it onto the list. And a system favouring the driven over the humble often won't correspond with quality or originality.

We here may have listened to all the songs this month but we'll vote anyway. I think the current format puts things on a plate for the less committed voters.

Having said all that, if we're getting 12 votes a month then perhaps all is not well! Happy to experiment, but I can't immediately see a better system than what we've got.

heres a list of the people whove hosted Song of the Month going back to september 2015
so if your names not on the list you are shirking &  realy should volunteer to host it if you appreciate your forum
it doesnt require much work & only a little organising

Vicki
Scott
Delboy
Neil
Skub
Monty
Tina
Martyn
John (pompeyjazz)
Neil
Paulski
Paul Ads
Viscount Cramer
Jamie
Adam Farr
Hardtwistmusic

All I'm saying is we have a contest where you simply post your song to a thread that is specifically for the monthly entries..........and knowing that voters are going to critique your song is always a charge..........thereby eliminating the need to hope that the one host for the monthly contest appreciates your brand of song......it will be up for the whole board to decide. Some potential voters may take a pass if they don't feel their brand or favorite is being represented at that time.

And I also believe that these comps, as well as the regular posting and the content of our posts are entirely up to us to decide. It is all voluntary, is it not? No doubt, that all the volunteers on that list are very generous....I personally thank you all! :D
                                                                                                    8)-Tom
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:13:23 PM by IronKnee »
                                                          -IronKnee

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
i wonder if people dont want to host the competition bcos they know it will mean they cant win it

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Point 1 - Dont these forum style web site designs have an option to conduct online Polls?
Its easier to press a button than send a PM.

Point 2 - as I speak it says 35 Guest Users online with only 5 members....there appears to be a lot interest in the site but very few who sign up (if i am reading it right) ....I'd let casual users/guests vote if a click poll can be organised - it sometimes feels a bit incestuous and cliquey at times on here - outside opinions of casual listeners are probably more relevant than everybody feeling they have to be nice about each others songs.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
I've outlined this once before but I'll will give it another try (and of course, this is just my personal opinion)

My suggestion
1) Anyone can enter the comp (100 post rule but not needed if item 4 is included). Because of this the comp organizer will not have to bear the burden of short listing so only a small amount of bookkeeping work is required.
May need to set a max no of entries esp if 4) is in place, first come, first served
2) Anyone can vote, contender must vote lest they'll be disqualified.
3) The winner hosts next month contest (no need to hunt down hosts). If you are not prepared to do that if you win, don't enter.
4) (optional) All contestant must review all entries (this would open up for < 100 post users since they at least would have to review the contest entries)

If there is a way to set up some kind of poll for the voting things would run even smoother.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
Point 2 - as I speak it says 35 Guest Users online with only 5 members....there appears to be a lot interest in the site but very few who sign up (if i am reading it right) ....I'd let casual users/guests vote if a click poll can be organised - it sometimes feels a bit incestuous and cliquey at times on here - outside opinions of casual listeners are probably more relevant than everybody feeling they have to be nice about each others songs.
every where feels cliquey until you make the effort to join in & be a part of it...you cannot say we are not friendly here!! :)
its a good job people want to get realy involved here & make a community otherwise thered be no competitions for everyone  :)
ive asked before about the big number of guests & been told its bots & spider things  like google etc

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
I've outlined this once before but I'll will give it another try (and of course, this is just my personal opinion)

My suggestion
1) Anyone can enter the comp (100 post rule but not needed if item 4 is included). Because of this the comp organizer will not have to bear the burden of short listing so only a small amount of bookkeeping work is required.
May need to set a max no of entries esp if 4) is in place, first come, first served
2) Anyone can vote, contender must vote lest they'll be disqualified.
3) The winner hosts next month contest (no need to hunt down hosts). If you are not prepared to do that if you win, don't enter.
4) (optional) All contestant must review all entries (this would open up for < 100 post users since they at least would have to review the contest entries)

If there is a way to set up some kind of poll for the voting things would run even smoother.

I like these suggestions, as well, Jambrains...............not so sure about compulsory hosting, however....(that would cut my chances of winning two of these contests, in a row, from zero to an ice cube's chance in Hades :-X )  ;D
Seriously, I'd like to keep hosting and posting a voluntary election.
I do like the 100 post, however.....keeps the fly-bys from corrupting the integrity of the spirit  ;)

Just some thoughts.....
                                              -T
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:54:47 AM by IronKnee »
                                                          -IronKnee

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
We haven't been inundated with offers from wannabe hosts, strangely enough...

so am I ok to take the reins for January SOTM?

If so, I shall make preparations...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »

Go for it Paul.

Are we using the same rules,the suggested rules,new rules,or just flying by the seat of one's pants?  Next time I'm making my own rules and my entry will be voted top dog,no question.  :D

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »

Sorted!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:57:41 PM by Morefrog Jones »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
I think I'll basically stick to the rules, bending them slightly perhaps if I think it's warranted.

Does that seem ok?

Ps yes! MFJ...I have replied  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
 well done paul for volunteering  :)
im very disappointed no one who hasnt done it yet volunteered