Rhyming websites

• 15 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
What's the consensus here on the use of rhyming websites or dictionaries?  I don't generally use them, not because of some principled objection but because I'm usually pretty good at coming up with rhymes, and sites like Rhymezone have a habit of throwing out some weird ones.  They do have their use though, particularly in alerting me to rhymes where the spelling is different or where the word break comes in a different place (which are often the best sort of rhymes for comedy).

Are there any decent alternatives to Rhymezone?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »
Once upon a time, it never occurred to me to use a rhyming dictionary or website. That changed when I took Pat Pattison's 6-week online songwriting course through coursera.org.

I now have two rhyming dictionaries and I use rhymezone a lot. I use rhymezone because that's the site with the most hits when I search for a rhyme for any particular word. I search first and go to the site afterwards.

I also use a thesaurus and/or search online for synonyms a lot.

These tools have helped me break loose from long-term habits and I'm able to be more creative, as a result. I am definitely in favor of using them.

Vicki

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
I also use a thesaurus and/or search online for synonyms a lot.

Yes, I probably use a thesaurus more often than a rhyming dictionary, for those awkward moments when you think "I want to say that but it's got to be in this rhythm".

These tools have helped me break loose from long-term habits and I'm able to be more creative, as a result. I am definitely in favor of using them.

Absolutely.  I used to think it was "cheating" but I don't any more.  Fitting lyrics to music is a craft and those are just the tools of the trade as far as I'm concerned.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
I really like Rhyme Genie, although it is a paid for programme rather than a free website

http://rhymegenie.com/

It highlights the "common" words used in songs and also allows you to "dial back" the rhyme so you can access "less perfect" rhymes if you want, which often work better for some styles
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
wikirhymer.com (really off the wall)

On my phone I have Rhyme Lite and Rhyme Prime.

And on my shelf the Penguin Rhyming dictionary...

As you can see I think rhyming resources are "quite useful"...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:05:50 PM by adamfarr »

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
Surely nothing (apart from blatant ripoffs) is 'cheating' if it gets the right result. I remember somebody wondering whether using EZKeys was cheating and a few people suggesting that using loops was compromising originality. Just tools for getting the job done as far as I see it.

I'll be having a look at these....might come in handy.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
I think rhyming dictionary websites are bloody useful things and I use them to get me out of holes all the time.

I use
http://www.rhymezone.com
and the app below
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rhymers-block-rap-poetry-writer/id796584182?mt=8

The later is useful as it does not need and internet connection.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
I get stuck from time to time and have looked on a couple of rhyming websites but sometimes found that if an unusual or perhaps smart-assed word is required to complete a rhyme...you're maybe better off rethinking the preceeding line(s)

I don't really think the rhymes are the hard part.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
I get stuck from time to time and have looked on a couple of rhyming websites but sometimes found that if an unusual or perhaps smart-assed word is required to complete a rhyme...you're maybe better off rethinking the preceeding line(s)

Well I don't know about you, but I generally write the payoff line first, and then write the rhyme that leads up to it.  The best way to write lyrics is backwards.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »
Well I don't know about you, but I generally write the payoff line first, and then write the rhyme that leads up to it.  The best way to write lyrics is backwards

I couldn't agree more and this is a well established "song craft" trick - I usually notice it the most when it is used effectively to disguise an otherwise cliche rhyme
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »
Yeah...that's what I was suggesting  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
I use Rhymezone a lot.

Also they have a link to onelook which has tools that give you words ending with a certain syllable which can be handy. For example - here's a query for words ending in "est":

onelook

Quite often the words you find in onelook don't show up in rhymezone as rhymes.

Paul

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »
I use Rhymezone a lot.

Also they have a link to onelook which has tools that give you words ending with a certain syllable which can be handy. For example - here's a query for words ending in "est":

onelook

Quite often the words you find in onelook don't show up in rhymezone as rhymes.

Paul

Possibly because they aren't rhymes?  If you want a rhyme for "best" (say), you need a word that's stressed on the final syllable.  I had to go down to number 11 in that list to find the first actual rhyme - "arrest".  Spelling on its own is no guide to rhyme.

On the other hand, "stressed" (which is spelt differently) would be a rhyme for "best".

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
Wow ! A real eye opener. Never knew about these sites although I think I prefer the brain work involved in not using them

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »
Well I don't know about you, but I generally write the payoff line first, and then write the rhyme that leads up to it.  The best way to write lyrics is backwards

I couldn't agree more and this is a well established "song craft" trick - I usually notice it the most when it is used effectively to disguise an otherwise cliche rhyme

Totally! Once you have written backwards you'll never go back 😀