LOTM December 2016 [Voting Closed]

• 5 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
Lyrics of the Month
December 2016

Wow wow wow, I've managed to convince 5 people to put there lyrics up for scrutiny! Some enthusiastic, some slightly less but now the entries are locked in and there's no turning back!

I've personally had a fantastic time delving into the lyrics section and analyzing entries - the stripped down nature of looking purely at the lyrics is enthralling and how theses truly unique and powerful lyrics can be pitted against each other and voted on is a daunting prospect.

So here's what we've got to send-off 2016 and kick LOTM thriving into 2017!

Sheep (Black and Red)
adamfarr

The Great Divide
tomcrocus

Is that Blue Enough for You?
PopTodd

Wish You Were Mine
Vintage54

Life in the Fridge
Paulski

Voting
Send me a PM with your top 3 in order!

I'll assigned them 1-3 points respectively, tot them up and reveal the top 3!

As usual if you don't vote, you can't win, and no voting for yourself! :P

Hosts Thoughts
Comments here are based purely on the angle I'm coming from and the things I picked up, please check out the lyrics for yourself and decide what makes them sand-out for you!

Adam's first entry into the lyrics section since January, and he's back with a bang. 'Sheep (Black and Red)' tares into society with great metaphors and imagery coupled with strong natural rhythm and a thought-provoking message. With genius sentiments such as "Snowmen think sandcastles have no tomorrow" a strong closing line "It rains the same on the sheepdog and the sheep" I believe we're all glad to see him back in action!

Whilst Adam's message is of universal disenchantment, Tom's 'The Great Divide' takes a dive into the growing economic equality. Tom keeps mostly to the lyrics area producing great material, but we'll also be familiar with the multiple works popping up in Finished Songs with frequent Neil C collaborations such as Gasole Heart and Mr Marratty (a personal favourite) - proving that his work is just too good to leave unimplemented. The Great Divide offers a strong message portrayed in a fun way seeping with rhythm.

Certainly shaping up as a clash of heavyweights as our third entrant is PopTodd and his colourful 'Is That Blue Enough For You' inspired into creation from the Colours Song Title Game in the bar. Pop's country-focused lyric holds no punches in capturing the essence of a frustrated protagonist struggling with sadness inflicted on them - longing for their penance to be over.

Another entrant with their first lyrical submission for a few months (July this time) Vintage has graced us this month with two master-classes in how to write deep, meaningful lyrics (the entry being the first of those 'Wish You Were Mine'). Vintage is modest in posting his lyrics but conveys a strong message of time passing by and introduces the lyric with some though-proving lines ("wish I'd met someone like you .. when my skin was still tight to the bone" to paraphrase) which makes me ponder the misalignment of opportunity and circumstance which so many of us can relate. The lyrics are not all doom and gloom and he goes on to highlight what there is to be thankful for and creates an enjoyable and progressive journey throughout.

Out final entrant is Paulski with his wonderful Life in the Fridge which does a fantastic job at bringing out real and serious subjects in a fun and abstracted way. Paul personifies different items in the fridge in a variety of ways to create a whole family and extend his message from being focued on being 'expired' to include a powerfdul foreboding that even fresh-faced milk will soon have it's day!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:30:26 PM by ScottLevi »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
Thanks Scott for all the effort in pulling this together. My votes on their way (not for myself of course!)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Yes, thank you so much for putting this together. And thank you for including my lyric in the competition.
I'll be checking out the whole bunch and getting my vote in to you very soon.
Really appreciate the effort!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
Hey Hey,

Cheers Adam and Pop for the support, got a few sets of votes in now and it's shaping up well!

We're at the half way point, so same as Song of the Month; don't miss your window to vote!

Cheer all,
Scott.

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »
Hi Scott,
            yes i was apprehensive as i didn't think
my lyrics were worthy,having said that i'm also
flattered that you nominated me so thanks a lot
and well done for being a grand host.

My votes have been cast,
                                   Tom.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
Great selection Scott tough one to call, vote sent.