Your next challenge?

• 19 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:21 PM »
Thought it would be cool to see what everyone's next challenge musically is?

Like for me, I kind of went
- Rapping badly over other's instrumentals
- Rapping badly over acoustic guitar
- Adding a chorus
- Singing/Talking over acoustic guitar
- Singing/Talking badly over finger-picked acoustic guitar
- Adding keyboard
- Trying electric guitar riffs
- Adding a bridge
- Simple post-recording production

And now I'm trying to add add drums using my new midi keyboard.

I know, I should make sure I can do the last thing well before moving on, but I'm still just too excited at the breadth there is and want to taste it all! Plus I guess as long as I keep the last aspect in my next, I'm still learning that too!

What about you lot, what's your next step?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:33:31 PM by ScottLevi »

Radio

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
Hi Scott, I just want to complete all the songs I've started, write more, improve my singing voice, improve, work on my guitar techniques and broaden my guitar style and genre, study more music theory and further develop my own style.

Like you, not much to do this next year then  ::)

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
Hi Scott,

I've been giving this alot of thought recently and am going to try and write more and put some serious effort into looking for a writing partner/musician as for me that is the only way anything I write will ever come to fruition.

Wishing everybody luck with their ventures in 2017!

Cheers

A

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:02 AM »
Looking forward to getting out to the Bristol open mics with Gabs again in the new year. We've also got a few finished songs to record, plus a number of new ones in the pipeline. Just not enough hours in the day to do it all.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »
Trying to record an "epic sounding" song about a Canada goose.  ;D ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
Doing everything, but more so. Current list: doing justice to to a certain lyric, mafia hip hop song, Sam Smith emulation song, Foo Fighters rage song, drum and bass track, epic strings production. Show me this list on 31 Dcember 2017 again and see what I've actually got done...

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
If you enter the UK songwriting contest and can accept the ritual humiliation of getting a commended entry again, which doesn't mean they thought your song was any good, just that it wasn't totally unlistenable, you get a 6 week membership of SongU which has a few pitching opportunities.

There was one for UK soul singer Diana Shaw so I thought I'd have a go at that. It didn't quite work out but did make me think about writing to different targets rather than just doing my normal thing.

So that is my challenge for this year amongst other things.

I've already backslid by spending a week or more remixing a song from 2014 which was probably my most self-indulgent ever and at 6 minutes plus almost certainly destined to be of interest to nobody but me.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:38 AM »
I am working on putting together a series of tutorial videos, and possibly a book, on music theory, songwriting and production

My intention is to try and seamlessly wrap them all together when looking at each element as I strongly feel that nowadays it is these 3 elements that make up "song writing" - my USP over other songwriting books is introducing the "production" stage as part of the songwriting process - which I think is controversial enough to be "unique" and pique some interest as I know some think that "production" has nothing to do with "songwriting" (which is a fair and valid view and I am being purposely "provocative")

My aim is to combine these elements so that songwriters start thinking about "production" and producers start thinking about songwriting

E.g. - something as simple as "tension & release" within a song:

There are lots of music theory methods for introducing tension & release (cadences, chord choices, leading notes, suspended chords, non-chord tones in a melody, interval choices in a melody etc.)

There are also lots of "songwriting" tricks - e.g. Lyrics that can create tension (non-rhymes, different rhyme schemes, uneven number of syllables, word choices, subject matter etc.)

Then there are lots of "production" tricks - builds, drops, risers, impacts, arrangement choices etc.

I truly believe that the new "GarageBand" generation of songwriters would appreciate a book/video series that takes production into account at the very beginning - unlike many of us that started with tape machines or digital multi-tracks the new generation now start out with a full recording studio and built in session musicians - all with a free app on an iPad!!!

If I can gently feed in some music theory and "song craft" I think it would be an awesome product for those starting out and a great reference for those already well on their way with songwriting

I am half-way through an advanced diploma in music theory to refresh my own knowledge (which fortunately is still there!! Phew!) and I have nearly completed a formal teaching qualification so I am doing some ground work before rushing in - but the project is taking shape every day and is definitely being influenced by discussions on this forum  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
To stop writing songs that sound like they're from the bloody 80's... ::)
but then again, the 80's might get trendy again ;D so maybe not ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
If you enter the UK songwriting contest and can accept the ritual humiliation of getting a commended entry again

;D

Lots of little things, improve my voice, keep learning to mix and master and I´m also getting into the biz side of music. But as a muso I want to do two things this year: Produce another artist and play live again.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »
Two challenges for me: the first and most important is finding time and space in which to make music again (preferably daily). Secondly, I want to develop a sound, idea, or form that's (more) original. I have a few half formed ideas kicking cans down the back alleys of my imagination, but I don't really know what shape this is going to take exactly.

Good to see everyone identifying areas they want to work on. I tip my hat to y'all :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »

Apparently, I sound a bit 80's so maybe theres hope for me too!

My challenge is to learn to play guitar so I can replace the iPhone app strumming that exists on one of my recordings.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »

Apparently, I sound a bit 80's so maybe theres hope for me too!

My challenge is to learn to play guitar so I can replace the iPhone app strumming that exists on one of my recordings.

Don't worry about that my friend..yer actual average music listener couldn't care less if you played anything on your song..if the songs good and they like it thats all that matters to them..the end justifies the means, so they say..or something like that!
best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Well, I foremost need to get some songs recorded so I made a deal with a friend. 2 songs a month, fully produced, Jan to May. Take a break for summer and then another 10. 20 total this year. it's going to be rough.  ;)

Besides that, I'll keep on working on my so called skills regarding my:

Harmonica playing
Fingerpicking
Solo guitar
Blues and folk style guitar
Slide playing
Lyric writing
Mixing and producing
Arranging
Banjo playing
Bass playing
Try to find a workable/technical solution so I can put real drums, or at least me drumming, on my recordings (I'm a drummer after all). Haven't figured it out yet. A real kit is not a possibility as of now. We'll see.

I'm tired now just by thinking about it.  ;D ;D ;D

Here's to a great 2017.

Cheers,

Peter

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
Hey Scott,

My next challenge...actually uploading another song for review, I have several but just cannot seem to get around to it...

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?