Melody

• 16 Replies

josemar

• Busker
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
Hi,
Any good advice on coming up with melodies...I can't seem to do it at the moment.
They just sound booooooring....like something you've heard before somewhere.

but then sometimes I lie in bed, like before sleep and stuff comes into my head...and I'm too lazy to get up and capture it...

tx,
jope

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:40 AM »
Take a smart phone or tablet with capacity to record to bed with you and sing melodies into it. Or if, like me, you don't want to make noise after sleeping hours, keep music manuscript paper next to the bed and write down the melodies when they pop into your head.

At other times, I often let the chord progression suggest melodies to me. When they sound boring, a possibility you mentioned, I try things like going up instead of down or vice versa, changing rhythms, or even substituting an alternate chord in one or two places.

It's hard to explain how I come up with melodies. The first one I try for a song is usually too trite or boring and I have to work on it to make it better.

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:26:09 AM »
Original melodies are the hardest to find.

Words can also suggest rhythm and melody so that can be a start.

I think the key to being original in melody is often intervals - so if things sound too samey then trying some longer jumps can mix things up.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
Try listening to a song you don't know, then try to play it straight off, without listening to it a 2nd time. It's a good trick.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Try reading your lyrics from within them while your fingers play around with the strings, then let the flow take you away, also might be best to keep the mic on.

josemar

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Hi there,
I'll take all yer replies on board....dictaphone etc...

Marynrich - I didn't quite understand your method...can you explain...

Do you mean take a rhythm from a non popular song...and change it somehow?

tx,
joe

Radio

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »
Hi Joe,

I think following a vocal melody too closely to chords and chord changes can sometimes, but not always, make material sound dull, flat and predictable. I find it's useful to pay attention to words and particularly words with multiple syllables you can position on the edge of chord changes to carry over or bridge the chord change.

I like to think that the instrumental arrangement is the fairly rigid 'soil' and the vocal melody is the long 'grass in the wind', flowing and supple, but firmly rooted to the soil of the musical arrangement.

Also I try to play with the vocal melody and sing different arrangements over the chord progression which are distant but complementing to the instrumental arrangement. Try going up an octave or harmonising over the chord to develop interest and tension in key areas of your song.

Hope this helps.

Wildkitty

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
Wow, coming up with a great melody is like the holy grail to writing a good tune.

for me, most of the time they just come into my head. which also means that you cant force it, you'll just have to be ready when it happens that you record it asap. like mentioned before, its always good to have a voice recording device at hand.
but sometimes, if I happen to write the lyrics first I would gauge melodies that fit the words/syllables.
anybody else do this?
hope this helps

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
Find an instrumental tune that has no lyrics.  It DOES have a "melody" (perhaps several) that you can tap into, but you have to find it. 

Listen to it intently, and sing along.  Not words at first. . . just "la la la" in the parts you most identify with.  It's unlikely that you can go through the song three times without beginning to "connect the dots" and begin to find that words suggest themselves. 

Don't try to "write a melody" or words.  Just keep following the melody that is coming to you.  It's not likely you'll forget the parts that appeal to you. 

If you have a mixer. . . add some vocals (either words or "la la la's" wherever it seems to be clicking. 

Now. . . you can go two ways. 

1.  Shut the instrumental off, and connect the melodic dots with something totally new that fits and fills in the blanks. 

2.  Leave the music on and do the same thing. 

Final step. . . modify away from the original instrumental in subtle and/or blatant ways to get completely original. 

This process comes so easily to me that I probably overestimate the ability of others to do it.  But I AM convinced (maybe wrongfully convinced) than almost anyone can do this.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
Hi!
Sometimes when my head is empty I take a vacation from writing.
Sometimes for a day, sometimes a week. No have-tos at all.
No guitar playing, no working with old songs.

After a while I usually get bored since writing is my spare time fun.
I've found Video games a good way of distracting myself from thinking about music.

A few days later a melody might come up. Often just a short part but it's a start.

But what if that melody doesn't appear? A tough one. Playing chords on the guitar can
help. Going outside of the safe zone. Mixing in some dominants or chords from other keys
or just making the second chord in a minor key a minor instead of dim.
But chords are not melody and you may find your self with a brilliant chord structure
but an uninspiring melody - and all joy is lost.

In a case like this I go for it and start with the lyrics and hope that ogre of a melody will
be possible to fix later. Songs like this fills the thrash bin.
Singing more is my advice. And not to the radio. Exercise you voice. It can do wonders.
And seeing past the goal of coming up with a melody. You sing to give you more tools and
help yourself to come up with good melodies the rest of you life.
To wait for inspiration is to wait for a maybe. To work with improvising melody
turns if into when.

Best regards,
- Martin

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »
If your too lazy to get up and capture your melody, are you really interested in songwriting?
I'm often up at 3/4 am capturing a tune or idea that just has to be done or it'll be gone in the morning...
I tried having a recorder next to the bed but I kept waking my wife up while I was making strange noises...
so found it better to go to my studio and get it done proper like!!

just get up my friend, you may be missing out on some good stuff!!!

best, Kevin :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

• Busker
  • I Love SongWriting...
    • https://m.facebook.com/M.D.Music.Page/
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 02:08:40 AM »
Hi Jose

If i have a Melody in my head i hum it to garageband
On my iphone...
Then when i get time to go back to it...
I play it back get it in my head again...
Then i hum it to a guitar tuner...
Get the notes etc then work it out from there...

Thats how i get from head to guitar or piano ;)

Melody 1st...
Lyrics Will Come After ;)

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 02:38:57 AM »
As you can see, there are any number of ways to come up with a melody. You just need to find a way that works for you. Have a go at any or all of the above suggestions - I've tried them all and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Like most things in the creative sphere, it can be very hit and miss.

What works well for me, more often than not, is to gather together some lyrical ideas revolving around a concept that forms the nucleus of the song to come - the spark of inspiration. Then I jam away on the guitar, looking for ways to develop that kernel musically. Sometimes it takes hours, sometimes it doesn't come at all. But the best melodies seem to just materialise somehow and generally within minutes.

When that doesn't happen, it's often best to find something else to do - or go back to the lyrical ideas and work from that angle.

It sounds like I'm an advocate for writing the words first, but I'm not. That has never really worked for me.

What I'm saying is that without any kind of thematic concept to work with, whatever melody you do come up with is going to be pretty formless and haphazard until it finds something tangible to lock onto.

So you do need something to write about, even if its ephemeral, before you start looking for a tune.

That's how it's always worked for me anyway.

cheers,
L

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
Just jamming for the past hour, chasing that elusive thing we're talking about, and I had a few more thoughts.

Try slowing down or speeding up the chords on whatever instrument you use. Sometimes varying the pace will produce a result you didn't anticipate.

Or trying singing in a different key. I have no tonal sense whatsoever...but singing falsetto allows me to reach notes I never would otherwise - and sometimes that generates a melody that you can harness and recreate in the right key for your voice.

Once you find something that vaguely appeals to you, chase it and bring it into being. Drop everything else you've surrounded it with if that's the only thing you like - rearrange the chords around it if needs be...woo it, pursue it.

So hard to put the process into words but hopefully you know what I mean.

cheers,
L

josemar

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
I thank ye all for some very interesting replies.

I haven't been online much since Christmas, this is my reason for late reply.

I have come up with many melodies, I'll post them in WIP....
I think they all sound, sad, mournful...

How can I change this?

I must admit I love pop music...sorry if this pisses any of ye off!