konalavadome

Driving Away

• 27 Replies

danieltrigger

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
Very much enjoyed this. I liked the quirky nature, and the ska feel, reminded of stuff from back in the 80s (in a good way lol). Thumbs up!

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »
It's not my genre, so I'm not a good judge, but I found this a refreshingly original composition. For me there were Beatles overtones alongside the 80s ska and folk combo mentioned by others. Poignant and clever lyrics too, good job!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
Strange, I could have sworn I already commented on this? Ah well.

Very ska-ish indeed, from the rhythm to the trumpets and the "Heys".

But it is kind of a half time feel ska...? Shouldn't this be much faster? Thus is sounds very sad and deflated, which of course is a great fit for the lyrics. Still a very unusual interpretation of this style.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »
But, what genre is ska ???

This is:
 ;D

Adam

I like this. It´s a strange mix of Ska type bits and other stuff thrown in. I didn´t think too much about the horns at the start but they do kind of counteract the rhythm of the song, however it didn´t jar for me at all. They work. The song itself is good storytelling and the production is on the money. I liked your voice in this as well, you seemed comfortable with the style.

My only gripe was the rhythm guitar...it´s fine but I thought it was a little loose for Ska, hence the comments about other genres. Great work though and I like the sounds you got there.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for great comments. Lots to consider.

Paulads: thanks for listening - guitars quite challenging on this one (trying to get hands to do something brain normally wouldn't)!

TimCurtis: thanks for great comments. I have to say folk was the furthest thing from my mind when doing this - which just goes to show. For midi horns it is really a touch choice between too tight and too loose - I was going for loose here but maybe a bit too much...

Pompeyjazz: "Flamenco"?! But then I am a complex cocktail of influences. Glad you liked it.

Scottlevi: great point re the alliterations - I think I may be the one to have missed the trick as there was no science to this just what felt good to sing... Hmmm!

Ironknee: ska was a sort of fusion of rock and roll and Jamaican music, then made a bit more punky by British 80's bands like the Specials and early Madness and these days really popular in South America with their own flavours (I want to say Mano Negra but they weren't really from there - still good though). Was definitely going for a bit of a live feel so thanks for that!

Shadowfax: glad you liked! The folky thing is a bit of a surprise but perhaps I should just go with that...

Rightly: nice pick up on the chord progression - I think I used all 7 chords in Dm and then borrowed about 7 more and that was before the key change! Thanks for great comments.

Tinam: Thank you! yes those were reggae drums, which seemed to fit fine though not quite the "proper" ska beat. I'm not quite as "British" as Kate Tempest but I do like proper non-Transatlantic voices...

Jamie: many thanks - I deliberately mixed the horns up a bit so might have overdone it a tad...

Skub: introspective and jolly. Welcome to my world! Glad you enjoyed...

Oldbutyet: guilty as charged - the Madness dance was danced!

Delb0y: it's a good point re the repetition of the transport and I think you're probably right that there was more to get out of those parts. Of course need one-syllable good sounding modes - cab could be one (although of course, you can stop a cab!)

Yodasdad: many thanks - I think choppy is kind of how it's supposed to be but perhaps not too jarring either. I did do a lot more BV bits but I didn't like them enough to keep them. Food for thought.

Refusedrevival: thanks for great comment! The drums are from the Loop Loft and I think are supposed to be reggae. I always chop up the loops quite a bit. They get compressed quite heavily (high ratio, long attack, short release) then they go to a drum room for reverb and then to a drum bus with multiband compression to bring up different parts (e.g. here the kick and hats).

Danieltrigger: thanks so much! Quirky is me!

Bill Saunders: I'll take any remote comparison to any Beatle! Thanks a million.

Wolfini: I guess you're right it's not your absolute crazy wild ska party! It seemed right for this piece though. Thanks for the comments!

Martynrich: yes, that rhythm was a real challenge and definitely better in some places than others. Glad it all (mostly) worked though! Thanks for listening.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
Ska is very far from what I listen to. I just realised that.  ;D

First off, LOVE the lyrics and your voice delivering them. Superb job! The production of the whole song makes me jealous and wonder what the hell I'm doing, because I can't seem to get that "clean" sound where every instrument is audible and separated yet don't wander too far off from each other?!?

The verse melody is very much still stuck in my head. Hm, maybe this ska thing is the way to go?!!

Good stuff!

S

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
Hi,

I liked the ska feel and the palette of instruments is spot on. The horns are a little out at times but other than that, it's pretty good. My only concern is that your very English middle class delivery jars a little with the ska feel. It always sounds just a little awkward and unnatural. Sounds harsh but that's just how it's hitting these ears.

M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
Thanks for more comments!

The S: thanks for those indeed! I know about 10% of what I'd like to know about mixing but pleased to be getting better...

Montydog: No problem, I'm afraid that's just what you get with me! I tried my Madness voice but it sounded like Dick Van Dyke...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 02:20:40 AM »
Hi Adam

I have no idea what ska is, but if this is it, I like it.
This sounded like it would go nicely in a Clint Eastwood western as the mexicans chase him across the desert to get the woman he stole back.  ;D ;D
But he avoids them by joining the Trump workers as they build the big wall..
Your voice is strong and good in this and totally suits the genre, like I know wtf ska is :)

Paul

awilhelmscream

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
Hey!
The lyrics you have written are really clever. They go along well with the ska rhythm of the guitar and the horns are well implemented in the arrangement. Can't say I am the biggest fan of the vocals but they definitely do their job to tell the story. The bridge with the keychange adds a nice little detail to the song! Keep up the good work. Was great to hear an attempt on a ska song!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »
Hi All - it's a good reminder that not everyone on here was alive in the UK during the 1980s and so has ska in their system.

Paulski - many thanks - especially re vocals. Maybe I should call this "ska-inspired"... "Cowboy-ska" could also be a cool new genre. Pompeyjazz and Martyn's is actually more authentically ska sounding: http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12286.0

awilhelmscream - thanks for great comments. I am definitely a vocalist with more enthusiasm than technique but actually this forum has helped me get more confident and keep improving.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
Nits first this time. First line of verse 2, I would sing "about" a little differently to fit better. I would consider reversing "to not" in the first line of V3. I tested it and it would work well, I think.

I love the discordancies of this. So perfect for the subject matter. This would fit in a project I've toyed with doing, but probably never will--a musical about being too busy.

The important parts--the melody and the words--go together well. Nice job.

BTW, I haven't a clue what "SKA" is, so I'll have to go look that up. Might change my entire opinion!  :o

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Vicky - great nits - thanks for such a detailed review as always! There may be some continental intonation differences but it's interesting when you get close to a song how things that are natural to you aren't to others.
Thanks and a great new year!