Re-use of well-known titles

• 8 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
I was thinking about this after listening to a song entitled "All By Myself" in the feedback section.  What's your take on re-using the title of a well-known song?  There's no copyright on titles of course, and it would be virtually impossible to prevent writers from using common words or phrases as titles, otherwise we'd run out pretty quickly.  (Here are some examples where a title has been re-used.)

But personally I'd be very uneasy about calling a song "Yesterday" or "My Way" or "Hallelujah" or anything like that.  For one thing, people browsing through catalogues might mistake it for a cover of the original song.  For another, by using such a title you're inviting comparisons with the original song, which might not always be favourable.

Thoughts?

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
That's an interesting question. I am pretty much of the same mind as you. The exception might be, if I call a song something like "Happy Birthday," or something similar like that, where I am trying to evoke something that is a universal feeling or thing that everyone knows... but in a whole new way.
For instance, I don't think that anybody would necessarily expect a song on my record that is called "Happy Birthday" to actually be the Happy birthday to you... song.
You know?
And I think that could work with similar universally used songs with vague titles like that. But, other than that, I don't think it's really a good idea.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:07 PM »

For instance, I don't think that anybody would necessarily expect a song on my record that is called "Happy Birthday" to actually be the Happy birthday to you... song.

They might think it was this one though!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
Or even this one!
;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
Or  this one - my favourite!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »
I avoid well-known titles like the plague, google my title every which way - usually putting them in quotes does it :). I'll use a little-known title though - no honour amongst thieves I guess :)
It would just seem pretentious to me to write a song called "Yesterday". Would you call your painting the "Mona Lisa"?

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:43:09 PM »

It would just seem pretentious to me to write a song called "Yesterday". Would you call your painting the "Mona Lisa"?

No, but I might have given a song that title if Nat King Cole hadn't got there first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDX18Xl16s

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
I would use the title I wanted to use....the title that the song suggested....unless it was going to be seen as an obvious lift. So I would avoid 'Strawberry Fields Forever', for example, but would have no worries about calling a song 'Yesterday' if that was what seemed to me to be the best title from the song and lyric that I had written. It's a commonplace word after all, not an unusual phrase or anything.

'All by myself' seems fair game to me if that's what the writer wanted.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »
interesting fact about 'all by myself'

eric carmen who wrote it used some rachmaninov in the melody.
he thought it was out of copyrite and had to pay mr rachs estate ..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1