Making songs more original

• 8 Replies

IrishGuy

• Busker
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Hello everyone.

I have to ask the big question which is how do you find your own sound?

Before I explain, know that I have found a sound and it suits me well, but there's a little problem.

My posts from a few years ago were back when I had written very few songs and I didn't have much confidence in my writing ability. I am currently preparing a live set for my band and we plan to start gigging around Dublin, Ireland in late February or early March which I'm ridiculously excited for.

Anyway, back to the topic,

I have written quite a few songs at this point, in either electronic, pop, post-rock, indie and alternative genres. I'm told by my friends that I have a style and it's sort of a trait that shines through in my music which is always good to hear.

BUT, sometimes I do feel like parts of my songs be it vocally or instrumentally sound quite similar to my many admired artists' songs, even if my friends don't really notice it. It still sort of gives me doubt in my mind.
 It's the paradox that:

I like what it sounds like but I feel I should change it to be more "original"...

It's actually pretty confusing and head-wrecking but not a major issue I guess. I can still tap into creativity much better than I used to.

Also I am absolutely terrible at editing and re-writing when I've written something I like whenever I sort of feel like I need to be more original (even if maybe I'm delusional and they are original enough!)

What say you gents?

Max Adam

• Busker
  • Enjoy music...
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwCAA5GkoF10LZJN9XiTz2g
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
Hi IrishGuy - I think it depends on what your goals are... Did you want to write comercial music? or just wanna write songs whit an art view.

Answering that, you could have more solutions to your songwriting issues. Clarify your goals.
If you want to write comercial music, i think it's not a big problem that you have similarities whit others songwriters. As long as you do not fall into plagiarism. It's called "Musical Benchmarking", and it's a good tool on comercial songwriting. It`s a good thing working your song whit an Top Billboard song next to you.

If you want just create art music, i think that your songs have to have an own sense to you. Feel free to create what you want and feel. Transfer your personality into music.

I dedicate myself to compose comercial music. And sometimes i have the same problem at re-writing some parts. That i like some lines, but i know that there are not the best comercial lines. Fight against own pride.

My best wishes to you. Hope that this was useful.
I'm sorry for my english. I'm from Chile.
Max Adam.
Max Adam.
Songwriter.
www.instagram.com/_maxadam

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
I think it's nigh on impossible to do something that's totally different to everything that's been done before. I'd say your unique blend of influences that come out plus your own certain something is what's original.

Everything's going to remind someone of something - and actually usuallly we like that. Just look at the song reviews on here - so many say something along the lines of "reminds me of xx (a good thing!)" and there's no suggestion that the person is copying anything or not being original.

I think it's healthy to ask the question and to keep trying to move forward. But I doubt there's a major problem...

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
Don't censor yourself.
Just write and don't worry if you write something that sounds like it's a similar style to somebody else. If that is what you write and your are true to your own aesthetic by doing so, it will sound like you. Even if it also sounds a little bit like The Kinks or whatever. You love the Kinks? That is unavoidable.
Just be you, whoever that is. There are bound to be bits and pieces of other people in there. Don't force it, because it's worse to sound disingenuous than it is to sound unoriginal.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
David Bowie once described himself as a tasteful thief. To sound original is just to combine your personal interests and influences in your own unique way. Even someone like Bowie, the Beatles etc. can be unpacked  in such a way that everything they 'stole' is as clear as day. In other words: You do you.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
Hi,
I think many of start wearing our influences on our sleeves and develop our own little style over time.
You say you've had feedback which suggests you've developed your own so have confidence and go with it.
It's also about honesty and authenticity. If you sound like you mean it that's more than half the battle.  The audience will say if it's working.
Why not share a song with us and ask for feedback, it's hard without hearing them.
 :) neil
songwriter of no repute..

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:22:23 PM »
Hey Irish,

Already replies to the same affect, but I think it's important to understand that we are standing on the shoulders of giants. It's a fantastic prospect that there are so many good songs and musicians we can learn from and I'd say that should embraced.

That said, we should always build on our influences with something unique, and from your post it sounds like you are. Don't let it bug you that everything you come up with isn't 100% original - if it was then there's a good chance it would be awful (not as a dig at you, but to reflect that a lot of ground-work has been done already which amounts to multiple generations of work and ideas).

If it's playing on your mind that bad; I always like the idea of stepping back from what's expected of you and trying something completely different. I don't know what your current genre is, but maybe try something folksy, bluesy, rappy, metally ect. Remember not everything you write and play needs to be enjoyed by others but If you push yourself hard in an opposite direction you're sure to pick up some quirks and techniques which will add extra dimensions when returning to your 'norm'.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
Hi IrishGuy!

I've thought a lot about the topic of your question.
The Me in songs. And my post will mostly be about me coz that
is the only writing process I know about.
Personally I think after you've written, like Lou Reed
said, a hundred songs. (Started writing in my case. Ive only finished about
30 of them.) You start to adapt you own style. And you start to recognize it .
That's when the fun and the hard work begins.

Have you ever felt a chord progression you've made
is the same as a Dylan song or a Beatles or what ever artist?
Can a song be original when the chords are same as in All along the watchtower?
The answer is of course yes. It can still have a fresh melody and a new way
of phrasing it. (Just a different lyrics might give you legal problems. :) )

I, as good as always, start with a melody. Then words. Then chords.
Sometimes the other way around but that's an exception to the rule.
If the melody sounds like something new I go with it. I then finish the song
in about 2 weeks and play it to some friends. They usually say it reminds them
of something. Once Beatles and Nirvana. That's OK for me. If I'm told, usually by
my sister, it's just like 'That Song' I redo if I think the lyrics are good enough.

Back to the topic.
Originality is a blend of both obscure and familiar. We don't work inside bubbles,
we work in a world full of others doing the same thing. Influence is a fact.
As a songwriter you probably know countless of songs. The more you've heard a
song the more you are familiar with it's melody and chord progressions. And since
most of us strive for beauty or at least ascetic 'perfection' I guess we implement
what we like. There by repeating what works for us musically.

You are not alone in you search for originality, quiet the opposite. And the only way
to fight is to write. And learn.

Best regards,
- Martin   

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:13:18 AM »
It's impossible to be original now..the guys that got to do it first are the lucky ones....we, no matter what we do, are always compared to something from the past,  :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!