Mountain Song

• 29 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
There's a great overall sound and production to this, it's intimate and epic at the same time. It gives the alone on a mountain vibe to me.

I particularly liked the Dobro type solo's very nicely played and it sounds wonderful.

Nice work.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
another very classy track from you, Alan...sumptuous sounds and great lyrics too

not the sort of thing i generally listen to...and i'm unfamiliar with the things that it reminds people of...

but my ignorance didn't spoil my enjoyment of it

is the next track on the CD "Molehill Song"  :D ?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

awilhelmscream

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »
Hey!

The song really screams David Bowie :-D
I love the lyrics, very clever written!
The organ sets a great tone to the instrumentation and song as a whole and this slide guitar in the bridge is pure genius.

Really great work, this song would definitly deserve a bigger audience!

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi,

Very nice song and good song, excellent guitar sound and chord progression.
I love the sound of the organ.
I think the drums are too behind in the mix.

Good stuff!

refusedrevival

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
Hi Alan,

Fantastic intro - drips forboding - it did make me expect a darker sounding song.

The guitar and organ sound great together.
Loved the solo.

The vocal suited the mood of the song - though I wouldn't have minded a bit more edge to it. You're just too silky smooth!! :)

Very classy write.

Merry Christmas.

Digger

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »
Liked the overall sound of the song but I think for what is quite a long song I'd like some kind of change of chords somewhere rather than repeating the same. Also the instrumental bit could do with a change of drums and perhaps a solo over the top?

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
I loved the lyric.  I liked the music.  The vocal was perfect to  my ears. 

I'd have liked two things from the lyric. 

1.  I'd like for the preacher to be unrelated to the singer/protagonist.  In my mind, the statement made by that verse is better made without the intimate, personal, blood relationship, but with an unrelated preacher symbol.  As it was, I wondered how the singer/protagonist could so casually and (seemingly) unemotionally describe that scene. 

2. I'd like the flood to be a little less literal and more vaguely presented . . . so that each listener can decide for him/herself whether it is a literal, or figurative flood.  I'm (as a listener) nearly always more excited to wonder than to know.   
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »

MONTY  ;D ;D     WTF ;D ;D

I did not expect that ;D

I'm stunned....overwhelmed, and very very
 impressed ;D

Is that a pedal steel or lap steel.....or what ;D

My only thought was that the intro was just amazing,
 very hooky....you should use that more.  I think you
 should embrace the 'wierdness' your getting with the
 gtr...and maybe 'process' the naked vocal in the break
 a bit.

Very creative/imaginative etc etc......love it  ;D ;D

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
This has an ethereal, haunting sound that suits the subject matter well. Since it's about a flood, though, I thought there might be some crashing sounds somewhere, reminiscent of thunder.

Otherwise, I don't actually have any nits. And other people have said all the good stuff already. ;) I like the way the words and the melody fit together; I don't think I would change anything there.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
Hey Alan,

Sorry I seemed to miss this earlier.

Really cool lyrics. I generally have a read before listening and I'm here thinking how cool it is that it's talking about a religious fable but the natural rhythm is quite juxtapositioned from what you'd expect given the topic. So excited to listen and see how that pans out.

And damn you nailed it! Not sure if I've heard any of your stuff before I really enjoy your vocals. Digging the bridge too great bit of work on the guitar there.

Really enjoy the hearing the first line of each verse which dragged me back to the forefront each time, fantastic melody there. Some of them seemed more powerful than others though ("I was born on the...", "40 days and 40 nights..." and "My father was a preacher...") but not sure why.

Quite an enjoyable listen indeed.

Thanks for sharing,
Scott.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
Great song. Can't add to the comments already but my twopence for what it's worth is that the title doesn't do the song justice. Minor point I know but my suggestion for changing would be changing it to "Noah's little white dove"  which gives it a more interesting and less generic sounding title.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Helo fellow forumites and Happy New Year!

This song seems to have had a second wind so thanks again to all who commented later.

Great song. Can't add to the comments already but my twopence for what it's worth is that the title doesn't do the song justice. Minor point I know but my suggestion for changing would be changing it to "Noah's little white dove"  which gives it a more interesting and less generic sounding title.

Hi Micky,

Fair point. it's not the most original title in the world.

Hey Alan,

Sorry I seemed to miss this earlier.

Really cool lyrics. I generally have a read before listening and I'm here thinking how cool it is that it's talking about a religious fable but the natural rhythm is quite juxtapositioned from what you'd expect given the topic. So excited to listen and see how that pans out.

And damn you nailed it! Not sure if I've heard any of your stuff before I really enjoy your vocals. Digging the bridge too great bit of work on the guitar there.

Really enjoy the hearing the first line of each verse which dragged me back to the forefront each time, fantastic melody there. Some of them seemed more powerful than others though ("I was born on the...", "40 days and 40 nights..." and "My father was a preacher...") but not sure why.

Quite an enjoyable listen indeed.

Thanks for sharing,
Scott.

Thanks Scott - I appreciate your comments.

This has an ethereal, haunting sound that suits the subject matter well. Since it's about a flood, though, I thought there might be some crashing sounds somewhere, reminiscent of thunder.

Otherwise, I don't actually have any nits. And other people have said all the good stuff already. ;) I like the way the words and the melody fit together; I don't think I would change anything there.

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Sound effects is a difficult one. I used them on "Boats" and many didn't like them. You can't please everyone.... :-)

MONTY  ;D ;D     WTF ;D ;D

I did not expect that ;D

I'm stunned....overwhelmed, and very very
 impressed ;D

Is that a pedal steel or lap steel.....or what ;D

My only thought was that the intro was just amazing,
 very hooky....you should use that more.  I think you
 should embrace the 'wierdness' your getting with the
 gtr...and maybe 'process' the naked vocal in the break
 a bit.

Very creative/imaginative etc etc......love it  ;D ;D

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thanks a million Bin, your comments knocked me out. The guitar is a resophonic slide guitar or "dobro" which is played lapstyle. It's wood bodied and played with fingerpicks and a metal bar slide.

I loved the lyric.  I liked the music.  The vocal was perfect to  my ears. 

I'd have liked two things from the lyric. 

1.  I'd like for the preacher to be unrelated to the singer/protagonist.  In my mind, the statement made by that verse is better made without the intimate, personal, blood relationship, but with an unrelated preacher symbol.  As it was, I wondered how the singer/protagonist could so casually and (seemingly) unemotionally describe that scene. 

2. I'd like the flood to be a little less literal and more vaguely presented . . . so that each listener can decide for him/herself whether it is a literal, or figurative flood.  I'm (as a listener) nearly always more excited to wonder than to know.   

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time and for your thoughtful comments. This was a family which kept our hero trapped by convention and custom - he didn't like his father so there was no sadness when the flood took him. As for a less literal flood - it's a good idea but may have been harder to put in images which is what I like to do.

Liked the overall sound of the song but I think for what is quite a long song I'd like some kind of change of chords somewhere rather than repeating the same. Also the instrumental bit could do with a change of drums and perhaps a solo over the top?

Hi,
Thanks for commenting. There were actually 3 separate parts, all with different chord sequences and there were 2 separate slide solos over the instrumental parts so i'm frankly baffled....:-( The drums dropped in and out as well.....

Hi Alan,

Fantastic intro - drips forboding - it did make me expect a darker sounding song.

The guitar and organ sound great together.
Loved the solo.

The vocal suited the mood of the song - though I wouldn't have minded a bit more edge to it. You're just too silky smooth!! :)

Very classy write.

Merry Christmas.

Digger

Hi digger,
Many thanks for your kind words - perhaps I could take up smoking again to get a bit more grit in my voice!

Hi,

Very nice song and good song, excellent guitar sound and chord progression.
I love the sound of the organ.
I think the drums are too behind in the mix.

Good stuff!

refusedrevival

Hey, thanks for the compliments. I don't like prominent drums - it's just one of my foibles!

Hey!

The song really screams David Bowie :-D
I love the lyrics, very clever written!
The organ sets a great tone to the instrumentation and song as a whole and this slide guitar in the bridge is pure genius.

Really great work, this song would definitly deserve a bigger audience!

Wow! Your comments made my day but I'm really struggling with the David Bowie comparison. He was actually pretty talented whereas........

another very classy track from you, Alan...sumptuous sounds and great lyrics too

not the sort of thing i generally listen to...and i'm unfamiliar with the things that it reminds people of...

but my ignorance didn't spoil my enjoyment of it

is the next track on the CD "Molehill Song"  :D ?

Thank you Paul. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the song even though it's not your genre. LOL about the Molehill.

There's a great overall sound and production to this, it's intimate and epic at the same time. It gives the alone on a mountain vibe to me.

I particularly liked the Dobro type solo's very nicely played and it sounds wonderful.

Nice work.

Yodasdad

Thanks for your comments particularly the dobro playing - it's amazing what a lot of time and some reverb can do!

Once again thank you all and I look forward to listening to the music on this great forum over the next 12 months

M

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
Wow, great intro, really sets the mood. Really enjoyed the lyrics (and the vocals of course). As far as I can remember most of the stuff I've heard from you have been 1+1 songs or at least pretty bare bone but this more "extended" format works extremelly well too. Next thing we know you may be blasting a Les Paul through a Marshall stack? :-)
I really enjoyed this song so my only nits would be regarding the production (and that is as always down to personal preferences). To me the bass is too up front  (never thought I would say that) and the same goes for the organ. The drums are thus to far back  (and the snare could use a fuller sound with more "body"). An alternative mix in this fashion would be stellar me think.
Well done!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:16:54 PM by Jambrains »

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »
Hi MD. Had another listen as reading my earlier comment it did seem a bit harsh and on subsequent listens I'm not entirely sure what I was talking about either.... Should have said that I did actually quite like the song, especially the intro. It's got a good sound, always like a guitar and organ combo. Dunno about Bowie - sounds more Pink Floyd to me but I guess we could debate that till the cows come home...  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
WOW, Alan! what a fantastic write :o I can see why this was picked for SOTM :o Good luck
Very good intro, and of course I was totally drawn into the story behind your beautiful poetry :)
I love the steel string(if that's what it is) and the melody, and the vocals, and the harmonies...there's nothing I didn't love about this track, and so well produced as well :) Thanks for sharing!