Perfect Imperfect

• 24 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
After I got back from the Salon, I got this great Motown beat stuck in my head and just knew that I had to have a crack at some of that stuff.

Have been experimenting a bit with this one again. Biggest problem has been trying to get an authentic brass sound. It's OK I suppose but could be a lot better

This is Perfect Imperfect

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/perectimperfect

Perfect Imperfect

V1

All that we can do
All that's in the way
Brush aside, leave and discard it
Leave it for another day
Don't want material things
Diamonds, pearls and golden rings
Just love going to rule the world
Ain't no one get in the way

Ch

Don't go changing now
I wouldn't want it anyhow
All that I can say
You're perfect imperfect
Don't you change your way
Or change it any day
All that I can say
Is that your perfect imperfect

V2

Was it all those years ago
Was it us back in the day
Spinning, twirling as we hit the floor
Dancing all the night away
Times change but the beat goes on
We still have our favourite songs
Give it to me just one more time
Going to chase the blues away

M8

Nobody knows a greater love
Nobody knows, to see the sun and moon come crashing from above
Nobody knows a greater love
What can I say, you're perfect imperfect

V3

They say people change
We change but we're still the same
With the rhythm and the driving beat
Just got to move your feet
Dancing loving every night
Just know the time is right
Stick around for another dance
Let's move lets take our chance

John Bradley 2016

Cheers All  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:37:05 PM »
I generally like your work, John, and this is no exception. I am especially partial to the verses and chorus. The middle 8 feels a little awkward or something to me but, of course, that could just be my imperfect listening skills!  ;D

Out of the whole song, the weakest line, in my opinion, is "Or change it any day". I don't get how it adds anything to the song--it feels like "filler" to round out the syllable count and provide a rhyme to "way". And, again, that could be my own brain density problem.

A couple times you sang "Don't chew" instead of "Don't you", but a lot of people do that and I notice because of my OCD about enunciation.

That's all I have.

Vicki

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:56 PM »
Yo John.

Is there any pop genre you can't turn your hand to?  8)

The chorus is a belter. It reminds me a lot of Elvis Costello.

Top work as usual,mister production line song machine!  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 11:21:57 PM »
Vicki. I totally agree with you. The M8 is weak. Have been wrestling with that a lot.

Skub. Don't ya worry man. I'm done with this poppy stuff and there is some dark stuff coming up

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:37:47 AM »
Vicki. I totally agree with you. The M8 is weak. Have been wrestling with that a lot.

Skub. Don't ya worry man. I'm done with this poppy stuff and there is some dark stuff coming up

Dark stuff is over-rated.....I like this upbeat stuff, from you, best!!
This reminds me of all the fun I use to have at the local ice rinks I grew up around!!

Good stuff!!
                        -Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:39:40 AM by IronKnee »
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
well I have to say of all the styles youve done here john , mod soul is what your voice sounds most fabulous at ...this is awesome & i can see you locking up the Gervais salon & nipping out on your lambretta to Brighton & opening a new salon called Style Council  ;D
I loved all the keyboard parts...they didnt have quite the right sound i thought ..they sounded a bit fairgroundish but what you played was great
the little snippets of sax were realy cool ,I wish you couldve had more of that...& thats a super middle 8!  I loved it all!

what is going on here? someones turned this board upside down ...you only posted this 2 day ago & i found it on page 2?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Dimitris

• Busker
  • ...Remember: Shows go on! It's what they do!
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »
It rocks!

The sound/instrumentation is great, the intro is super-fun and the rythmic alteration (well, not exactly but you know what I mean) makes it stand out from the pile of this kind of songs, and gives it a more sophisticated structure!

Thumbs up!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
Nice one Pompey.

Interesting that you panned the bass to the left, I can't make my mind up whether this worked or whether my attention kept shifting to it more than it should. I'd be interested to hear it with bass centre to compare. I'm not overly familiar with Motown so maybe this is the done thing in the genre.

From what I do know I think you captured the style quite well, especially with the drums.  I've still got the catchy melodies in my head as I'm writing so that's a good sign for me.

Well done.

Yodasdad

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
I really like this song john, the bass line is a real belter! Your production is also getting better and better and lyrically its really good. I agree that some of the synth sounds could be different but that is a minor thing. I also love the chord sequence and the change from major to minor...it reminded me a little of Creep but obviously this was a happy version of that with a sunny side to the message.

I really like how you mix guitars and synths in general but I always yearn a bit for the guitar to be more prominent. This is a great song overall though, the chorus is fab and I don't think the M8 is weak at all.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Hi John, great bass line and nicely conceived styling, a very authentic sound. I really like the song and the different sections of the song. Not such a fan of the organ sounds, a bit too reedy for me! Great vocal and melody!
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:22 AM »
Hi John
Four Tops looks out!
Great example of the motown genre.
Loved the melody lines esp the chorus.
You know if you changed that elect piano to a real piano it would sound like the Four Seasons  ;D
Think you should center the bass though.
Good work  ;D
Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Hi John,

Wow, there is some reverb on that vocal - a little too much for me but otherwise this is pretty sensational. I love the production and the retro sound - could do with a big tambourine a la Motown but that's my taste. The backing vocal parts are gorgeous and the whole thing reeks of 60's quality arrangement. It just needs a big, reverb-laden tambourine banging though it and it would really fly.

Hugely impressive.

M

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:28:24 AM »
Wow very good production. Nothing is imperfect. I like it a lot. Nothing to criticise for me.
Go on with your good work.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
Great earworm chorus! :)  I like the echo on the vocals - very 50s/60s.  :D  My only comment really is that the bass seems to drop too low in volume in places.  But a minor point on a great track!