Nikki Dont Lose That Rhumba

• 36 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
& now heres a surprise! john (pompeyjazz) has written some fab Come Dancing lyrics & done a terrific vocal version!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzmkyuzx2ughfox/rhumba_jbmix_20161119.wav?dl=0

On a summer night she was dressed in white
With the guy with the cuban heels
As he drove her off to the local dance
In his brand new set of wheels

Nikki don't lose that rhumba
Nikki don't lose that beat
Nikki stay on your feet

As they hit the floor well they cried for more
To the sound of the rhumba beat
Then they wowed them alll with their cha-cha-cha
They're the pair you can't defeat

Nikki don't lose that beat
Nikki stay on your feet
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
Wow, this has gone to another level...I love the new beat and John has made a fab song out of it...the vocal melody fits brilliantly with a great lyric to boot. I´ve gone from liking this to loving it!

Exaggerated did you? I´m sure you didn´t.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
Hi Tina, great guitar playing as usual! Love the taut vibrato in the main phrases, reminded me of something Robert Fripp might play on one of his more off the wall songs, which for me is a good thing. The cleaned up mix was miles better and much easier to listen to. I couldn't open the vocal version, not sure why?
Nice one Tina!
Cheers
Jamie

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
Ha!

Two of my favourite forum members get together and whack it out of the park...this is really great...I'm a big fan of both of you, and this really does combine the best of two real talents...

Love it!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
Well - This was so much fun to do. As soon as I heard the track the first time I was singing a vocal to it. Thanks to Tina, I was able to have some fun with the track. I wanted to stick closely to Tina's "Strictly" theme so wrote some lyrics to reflect that. Had great fun working on BV's as well.

Thanks so much Tina, really enjoyed working on this project.

There's a Soundcloud link as well

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/nikki-jbmix-20161118

Cheers

John

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »
Tina I hate and despise you with a passion. I've had this song in my bloody head for days!!!!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:18 AM »
A bit late to this party and I find not just one but two tracks (one is all that you can score, though, hoho).

I think everyone should be encouraged to do instrumentals from time to time in order to focus on melody and story-telling - here the barky lead guitar really seems to speak (possibly this is why it inspired some additional lyric-writing). The interest keeps up all though which I also think is an achievement without the support of words. My only questionmark is whether there was a lost opportunity to be more creative with the bassline - I know the guitar is the star but the bass seemed so ... basic in comparison. Just a thought.

Really enjoyed the vocal version too, great slide on the word lose, great BVs but also some space left for the instrumental. Interestingly I thought it could be longer, but that may just mean I wanted more which is a good way for me to be left.