All By Myself

• 38 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
What a great opening two lines "I deal with the loneliness Like combing fresh cut hair". This has a great feel to it Tom. The harmonies are awesome. Great melody and lyrics compliment it perfectly. As usual Tom, top top shelf

John

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
Yo Tom...love this song. The first thing that grabbed me were the lyrics...very poignant. The guitar picking, melodies, harmonies...all sublime. The songcraft is good as well, although like Paulski I would cut two lines off the chorus...I think its been said by that point. I love the vibrato on your voice, it is beautifully sung...although you didn't tweak it did you?  ;D It doesn't matter anyway, because the end result is superb.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:42 AM »
Hi Tom
what a great line "like fresh cut hair". Very relateable and never heard it put that way before.
The reverb is a nice way to empahsise the "loneliness" too.
I think I might have tried not to have "myself" rhyming with "itself" but, as you say, some things just create themselves in a certain way, and that's my only slight questionmark anyway.
Very nice big sound on your voice(s) there!
All the best
Adam

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »
very classicaly classy my friend..everythings been said so wont say it again..you might get bigheaded...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Hi Tom, love the vocals and the harmonies. At the start I wasn't too sure about the vocal effect but it grew on me through the track. Like the idea of the lyric and there are some great lines. How do you record the acoustic guitars without getting that 'rasping' metallic sound on the strings as you change chords/positions?
Excellent stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:13 AM »
Hi
If someone asked me for an example of a singer/songwriter who really knew their craft I would direct them to your material.
Another superbly written, performed and produced song IMHO

I maybe wouldn't have used so much harmony on this one but it does enhance the atmosphere (but really, what do I know and judging by previous comments I'm 'on my own' with this opinion anyway!)

Lyrically brilliant and melodically elegant. I will be listening again (for inspiration!)  and looking forward to your next

Phil

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
Absolute class - at first I wasn't sure about the left/right vocals (listening through good quality headphones) but it grew on me - wonderful harmonies. I wouldn't change a thing and I will seek out more of your music!

Cheers,
Bill

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 05:17:20 AM »
Hello IronKnee
Very nice song with great production and nice melodies. I laid back and enjoyed listening. May I'm missing a blowoff but it seems you conception for the song is without and anyway it is good without too.
Like it
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Oldbutyet

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
Another cracker Tom, man you got style  8)  great lyrics as always and the way you sing them really brings out the best in them, you need to do an open mic video man.

Also just a thought but i think you and Monty should team us together on a song, something about this that has me thinking that, as always really cool man  8)

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »
Hi Tom!

Yet again another acoustic masterpiece from you! I love both, the verse AND the chorus.  ;D

Thoughtful lyrics, and a breathtaking melody.

I really liked the stereo echo on the vocals. A brave decision to use it, but it works out nicely. But. I feel that it would be even stronger if you were not using it all the time, but only in some parts of the song, to help achieve more dynamic. Lately I have been watching product videos for vocal effects, and they usually switch the fx on for special lines - which is a great effect. At least I think you could remove the stereo echo i the chorus, where to me it sounded like it was getting in the way of the harmonies. But please treat this as the mere suggestion it is ment to be.

Congratulations on this one!

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 04:13:10 AM »
Great song Tom.

Have played this many times.

My favourite one of yours.

Sandeep

Thanks sooooo much Sandeep....I really means alot!

Hey Tom,

Not sure which component it is which makes this stand out, maybe a wonderful coming together of them all?

Great guitar and melody, and lovely pace to it too. I'm getting a 'The Who' vibe personally, in it's epic understated delivery and great production and story.

Nothing constructive sorry, wouldn't change a thing.

Hi Scott....I appreciate you stopping by.....glad you like it!

Hi Tom,

Cool song.
The vocals sound great.
The verses really are very strong. I just like the way the vocal works both in melody and how you've produced it.
The chorus is hooky and totally works, but I'm another for the verse.

Guitar provides a perfect backdrop.

Quality.

Digger

Hi Digger......Thanks, man! I appreciate the positive commentary.

Yo!

A Loggins/Messina vocal and harmonic feel....Nice fingerpicking glue...rollin' along tying it all together..... I keep waiting for a drum track to lift the energy a bit....doesn't need it, but I'm hearing it ...Excellent tune!

igg

Hi Igg.....not too much for drums, unless a loop works...... :-\
I'm glad you like it, though.....I have a deep regard for your  "stuff"  ;D

AND THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE LISTENED!!
                                                                                   8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:57 AM »
Very nicely done. I started to listen through the iPad speaker and quickly realised, no, this one deserves headphones and boy am I glad I did.

Very nice vocals, love the left/right effect, with some beautiful melodies and harmonies.

I might be tempted to add a bit more emphasis to the electric guitar on the solo but apart from that, really enjoyed it.

Yodasdad

Thanks Yodsdad, for listening and commenting  8) I wanted to keep the elect. guitar subtle.....but, perhaps a couple of more decibels couldn't hurt   ;) Thanks, again!

What a great opening two lines "I deal with the loneliness Like combing fresh cut hair". This has a great feel to it Tom. The harmonies are awesome. Great melody and lyrics compliment it perfectly. As usual Tom, top top shelf

John

Thanks John for listening and remarking about my opening line  :)  I appreciate it!

Yo Tom...love this song. The first thing that grabbed me were the lyrics...very poignant. The guitar picking, melodies, harmonies...all sublime. The songcraft is good as well, although like Paulski I would cut two lines off the chorus...I think its been said by that point. I love the vibrato on your voice, it is beautifully sung...although you didn't tweak it did you?  ;D It doesn't matter anyway, because the end result is superb.

Hi M&R....thanks for stopping by  ;) I appreciate all your comments....and no, I didn't tweak this. I most all of the time never spend a lot of time on my recordings. They either come out well, or they don't. It seems,the more I work on the recordings  8), the worse off they become  :-\ :'( ??? :o

Hi Tom
what a great line "like fresh cut hair". Very relateable and never heard it put that way before.
The reverb is a nice way to empahsise the "loneliness" too.
I think I might have tried not to have "myself" rhyming with "itself" but, as you say, some things just create themselves in a certain way, and that's my only slight questionmark anyway.
Very nice big sound on your voice(s) there!
All the best
Adam

Thanks Adam  8)

very classicaly classy my friend..everythings been said so wont say it again..you might get bigheaded...

:o.................too late  8)
That's OK......I work for a living, so it never stays big for long  :'(
Thanks, Shadow, for all your support!

And thanks to all who have listened!
                                                               -T

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:21:53 AM by IronKnee »
                                                          -IronKnee

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
I like this very much, nice and melodic only one nitpick

listening through a second time I felt that the chorus only needed the first three lines

cheers

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 03:35:30 AM »
Hi Tom, love the vocals and the harmonies. At the start I wasn't too sure about the vocal effect but it grew on me through the track. Like the idea of the lyric and there are some great lines. How do you record the acoustic guitars without getting that 'rasping' metallic sound on the strings as you change chords/positions?
Excellent stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie....thanks for stopping by and listening  ;D
I practiced, a lot, focusing on chord transitions, and then finding ways of playing my chords in a way that was conducive to my changes. There are a couple of songs that I want to record, however, that is giving me some headaches...........I think I need a nylon string guitar for those particularly difficult ones  ;)
Thanks for commenting!

Hi
If someone asked me for an example of a singer/songwriter who really knew their craft I would direct them to your material.
Another superbly written, performed and produced song IMHO

I maybe wouldn't have used so much harmony on this one but it does enhance the atmosphere (but really, what do I know and judging by previous comments I'm 'on my own' with this opinion anyway!)

Lyrically brilliant and melodically elegant. I will be listening again (for inspiration!)  and looking forward to your next

Phil

Thanks, Phil, for the generous and up lifting comments! I really appreciate it.
It means a lot!

Absolute class - at first I wasn't sure about the left/right vocals (listening through good quality headphones) but it grew on me - wonderful harmonies. I wouldn't change a thing and I will seek out more of your music!

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks soooo much Bill for listening and commenting. I'm not much of a hand when it comes to recording  :-\......I just feel my way through each tune I record, and pray it works  ;D
Thanks again for the supporting comments.

And thanks to all who have listened!
                                                                  -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 04:06:11 AM »
Hello IronKnee
Very nice song with great production and nice melodies. I laid back and enjoyed listening. May I'm missing a blowoff but it seems you conception for the song is without and anyway it is good without too.
Like it
Alexander

Hey there Alexander........I'm glad you like it....but, have no idea what you were trying to say ??? :o
Thanks for listening and commenting  :) I always appreciate the positive  8)

Another cracker Tom, man you got style  8)  great lyrics as always and the way you sing them really brings out the best in them, you need to do an open mic video man.

Also just a thought but i think you and Monty should team us together on a song, something about this that has me thinking that, as always really cool man  8)

Thanks, man, for the time and comments. I'm glad you like the song.
I'm a fan of your work, as well!

Hi Tom!

Yet again another acoustic masterpiece from you! I love both, the verse AND the chorus.  ;D

Thoughtful lyrics, and a breathtaking melody.

I really liked the stereo echo on the vocals. A brave decision to use it, but it works out nicely. But. I feel that it would be even stronger if you were not using it all the time, but only in some parts of the song, to help achieve more dynamic. Lately I have been watching product videos for vocal effects, and they usually switch the fx on for special lines - which is a great effect. At least I think you could remove the stereo echo i the chorus, where to me it sounded like it was getting in the way of the harmonies. But please treat this as the mere suggestion it is ment to be.

Congratulations on this one!

Bye Wolfi

Hi Wolfie............Thanks for stopping by......My productions and recording skills really pale, and that was one big experiment. 1+1's are sooooo much easier  ;D

And thanks to all who have listened
                                                                   8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee