konalavadome

Goodbye Girl Lament - collab: Derek Rutherford / Nick Quarmby

• 5 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
It's been a sad week. Maybe the saddest. Some of you might recall The Vamp of Storyville http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10876.0  which I posted here earlier this year. I said in the introduction to that song that Nick had been ill. I'm so sad to say that he passed away last weekend. We played in many bands together and wrote many songs together. I quickly came to the realisation that I ought to stay well away from the music and playing side of things and just send lyrics to Nick. He invariably wrote and played music that was far better than I could, but that always somehow was just what I would have imagined had I that musical imagination.

This was the final song we wrote together. I know Nick thought it was maybe a little too slow and maudlin, but after all, he said, it is a lament. The lyrics are mine. The playing, singing, and writing of the music is all Nick's.

I haven't been around much as this month we've been preparing (and enjoying) a family wedding. And this week... How can life be so happy and so sad at the same time?

Goodbye Girl Lament

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=542700&songID=13490735

The doctor told me, my chances were slim
The Priest he prayed, but the Lord wasn’t in
I tried driving fast, drinking slow
It’s the same old story everywhere I go
I’ve got the sweet-talking gone walking goodbye girl lament
Whichever way you look at it, that’s the way she went

My congressman wouldn’t do a thing
He said his jurisdiction was way too slim

Somebody tell me that I’ll be okay
That goodbye girl will be walking this way
Mystery train smoking down the track
Goodbye girl is coming back

The voodoo man put his needles in me
Nothing happened but I started to bleed

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:26:11 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »
Hi Derek,

First off sorry to hear about Nick, he was obviously a very talented muscision and a good friend to yourself. Your admiration speaks a lot. I think it doesn't matter how anyone else perceives the song, it's something special I'm sure you'll come back to often to remember.

On the risk of sounding patronizing and cliche I think its wonderful that as artists we can leave such personal and real fragments of ourselves to live on and be something tangible for loved ones to hold on to; and this honest rendition is a hommage to that.

Definately a little slower than other songs I've seen your involvement in and gives off more emotion partially as a result of that. I've always been a fan of your upbeat and sometimes contradictory musical/lyrical combinations so this came as unusual to what I would normally expect, but still stuck a chord all be it in a different way.

Stay strong, and stop putting yourself down musically - I'm positive that you have those who admire your talent just as much as you project onto those you look up to.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Yo Derek,I empathise with you on the loss of your friend and fellow musician. Like others I've been there and it hurts.

The song is beautiful and sympathetically played and sung,made all the more poignant by your situation.

Thanks for posting Derek and take care man.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:07:42 AM »
I know first hand how hard it is to lose a friend and colleague in music. The void left behind can never quite be filled in the same way.

This song is so appropriate. I like it a lot. No nits from me.

Vicki

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
Hi Del,

So sorry to hear about Nick. It is a little disconcerting to hear someone singing who I assume knew he was on borrowed time especially when he's singing lyrics written by someone else.

It has a lovely eloquent and elegiac feel to it throughout - a hard thing to pull off. Very moving and beautiful.

M

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
This is a beautiful song Del...very poignant. Sorry to hear about your friend. Its good to hear that he carried on making music...it was obviously what he was made of.

Anyway...loved the song...