Open Mic - Nameless MC

• 5 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
I do want to end up doing Open Mic's eventually, just not quite yet.

Anyway here's me doing 4 songs in my kitchen which I've put as unlisted on youtube - mostly for myself to review and build on but if anyone has the drive to watch it through and leave feedback on steps to make be more performable all would be muchly appreciated.

&feature=youtu.be

All the best,
Scott.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
Well done for posting. I must admit, I didn't watch to the end, but here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Your movement is quite distracting and you are coming in and out of focus: I would suggest staying still and looking straight at the camera.

2. It's hard to hear your vocals: you may need to come closer to the mic ( or use an external one)

Best Wishes,

Kevin

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:26:33 PM »
Well, I haven't been doing open mics, and I don't know what kinds of places you're planning to go singing in, so I'll just give you my general impressions.

You have a very specific style that's kind of a cross between talking and sing-songy....well, not really rap style, but something chant-like. I don't know what I would call it, really.

Watching you, I almost get the impression you're mad about something, but maybe that's to express the songs. I can't understand most of the words. Except once in awhile I can make out a few phrases.

If you have the means and opportunity, some sessions with a good vocal coach would be a worthwhile investment. Pretty much everyone can benefit from a little training, and since you're working up to doing some open mic, it would be an effective way to help you prepare. One who can include tips about stage presence would be an ideal choice.

Vicki
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:28:16 AM by CaliaMoko »

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »
Yes, by all means settle down a bit.  On an open mic stage you will be pinned to a microphone.....if that is your goal might be best to practice with that in mind as your movements imply frustration and impatience.  Sing with some conviction.....let 'er rip!

https://vimeo.com/207934983

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
Regarding OMs - just do it!  ;D

I go to an OM once in a while and whenever I do am amazed at the variety of styles on offer. Last night we had a heavy metal band, an Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark style solo chap (singing along to backing tracks), a couple of grizzle old blues veterans, some folks making their first steps into performing, a spaced out acoustic-through millions of pedals singer playing very laid back songs at about 5 BPM, a jaunty cabaret duo, a Joni Mitchell style finger-picking woman, an impromptu tribute to Chuck Berry band and loads more. Quality ranged from people doing it for the first time and clearly hugely nervous to folks who have been doing it 35 years. But it's an OM - it's designed to be like that. A month or so ago there was apparently (I missed it) a performance artist who smashed his guitar on stage...

Once you've done one you'll be on the slippery slope to an addiction to playing live !
West Country Country Boy

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Hey Scott

Well done for posting this mate (albeit a while ago now..) I like your energy and style! Raw and passionate is how is desribe your performance :) as a couple have already mention you move about a lot and sometimes your vocal is not clear but I'm sure there are easy fixes for this and it will be interesting to hear how you have progressed since posting these videos!

I'd be very interested to read the lyrics to any or all of these songs as the flow is great and I suspect the words are quite excellent! From what I could hear they were fab, so be great to read them! I think you have a great style that would certain fit well into an open mic night (not that I've ever been just guessing ;)) and wish you all the well on that!

From watching and listening to this mate I think you have bags of talent that simply needs a little sharpen! It won't have helped that you recorded this in your kitchen presumably on your phone and a better recording environment would certainly help! Keep practicing and posting :) look forward to hearing your developments

Take care buddy!!

Darren