Tonight at the Fair (Lyric by diademgrove; Collaboration League)

• 19 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 10:52:47 PM »
Firstly Scott, you want to be clear with yourself the reasons you want to make music. Honesty is the first requirement.
Do you do it for yourself?
Have you commercial aspirations?
Then you can plot a course to be the best ScottLevi out there. Individual and inimitable,but perhaps unmarketable in the perceived manner.

Being the best you,to my mind,is the key to everything.

Then again,who am I and what have I ever done.  :D

I love to hear folk trying stuff,whether it works or not,it's a scream against the norm and may open doors.

Look to pompeyjazz for inspiration,he's hit on just about every genre you can imagine and gets a song out of it. He's a great 'in forum' example of a restless,inquiring spirit.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
This is kind of fun and sinister at the same time (keyboard) and reading your comments it looks like that is exactly what you were after, so well done.

I think music with low production values has its place so don't worry too much about that. Capture the emotion and that's what you're doing. Some of the best performances I've heard have been stripped down acoustic numbers.

Yodasdad

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »
Hi Scott,

I really like what you've done with my words. I'm pleased you've got some really positive feedback.

Although its not what I had in mind when I wrote them a bit thumbs up. It also shows how your words can be transformed if someone else does the music. I hope some more people have a look at the thread you started on collaboration and has a go (though not necessarily with my words). 

Here's the link again.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11878.0

Keith

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
There's something really trippy about the lyrics and tinkly backing that just evokes all sorts of timeless and edgy images.

This is kind of what I was getting at when I was asking about "genre" - I love the way this doesn't try to fit in with any pre-established genre and I think it's the more effective for that.

I can't really think what extra production I would put on that wouldn't ruin it...

One nil for the colaboration league...

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
@Boydie
You weren't joking when you said you review is big stints, good effort! Glad you had a smile on your face - I'm sure I'll pick and choose things form these early works a bit later on when I'm prepared to take on something bigger.

@Movin Flavour
Cheers for listening and commenting, is much appreciated.

@Skub
Cheers for the advice, to be honest I probably haven't sat and thought where I actually want to end up, just enjoying having a play around at the moment! Even if I do want to end up taking this somewhere I think I'm still int he stage where playing around adds a lot of value to my development.

Good shout on pompeyjazz - couldn't agree more!

@Yodasdad
Cheers for the listen and positivity, I'm glad to get some good feedback on this. I do believe getting the basic's right is important and wanted to take a step back from my last attempt, and start building each song up more slowly rather than throwing lots of instruments together and hoping for the best.

@diademgrove
I'm happy if you're happy! As I said it's a bit nerve-racking and though one of the reasons I put the league together was to try and create the unexpected, guess it's a thin line between creativity and ruining your vision!

Hopefully people will continue to support the league, great to get a couple of people showing interest!

@adamfarr
There's something really trippy about the lyrics and tinkly backing that just evokes all sorts of timeless and edgy images.
:) Beautiful comment thank you very much. I'm sure a few people have mention about genre "depends are what you're trying to do commercial vs personal" but I'd like to think regardless of your end-goal, you've got to find your natural sound first.

Big up the collab league :P Think I'll take it out of 'pilot' if we have another entry!