DAW noob seeks enlightenment

• 29 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
 :D You too Kev?

Tell me this then,you Logic fan bois. IF... ::) I was to purchase Logic Pro X,what's the favoured way to buy? I know direct from apple is expensive,but I see stuff on the bay for a tenner download. Is it a case of getting what you pay for?

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
Am I the only Cubase user? Is that a dirty word?
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Our keyboard player uses an old Cubase and gets a good sound.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 12:50:20 PM »
I personally use Cakewalk's SONAR PLATINUM (which is awesome!!!) but our very own JAMES NIGHTHAWK is a very advanced CUBASE user and I believe he is still using it in his commercial recording studio
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
:D You too Kev?

Tell me this then,you Logic fan bois. IF... ::) I was to purchase Logic Pro X,what's the favoured way to buy? I know direct from apple is expensive,but I see stuff on the bay for a tenner download. Is it a case of getting what you pay for?

It´s 190 quid more or less...but you get absolutely everything you need. It´s a worthy investment. Reaper goes for 60 quid after a full free trail where they never chase you for the cash.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
It´s 190 quid more or less...but you get absolutely everything you need. It´s a worthy investment. Reaper goes for 60 quid after a full free trail where they never chase you for the cash.

It's £149.99 from the apple store,or did you mean 190 of your crappy euros,Martypants?  :P

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
I'm reading a lot of reviews saying logic pro x is massively complicated/steep learning curve etc. This sounds a bit off putting when I just want to get some music down,rather than take a course on advanced nerdery.  :( I'd hate to bite for something,then find I'm well out of my depth.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
There is no hiding that any DAW can be complicated

However, I am confident that the basics of setting up some tracks, recording, balancing them and then exporting a final mix will be as easy in Logic Pro than any other DAW - there will just be lots of bits that you won't be touching straight away

If this is all you will be doing, the the cost is a bit much then stick with Garage Band

If you can afford it and want something to grow in to then Logic Pro would be your best bet

I don't think it will take you long to master the basics and it will be no time before you want starting to add automation and other effects
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
I use GarageBand  :)

I bought Logic Pro a few years back...but - perhaps bizarrely - I prefer GarageBand...there are a couple of functions that I miss...but overall it suits me better...

I'm a novice when it comes to mixing and not really too interested in learning much, to be honest...as long as I can record my ideas to a listenable standard, I'm happy.

Everything I've done on here was done with GarageBand...and I've only scratched the surface of what it can do in regard to mixing and using all the plugins/fx it comes with.

I honestly think that any problems with the quality of my productions is 90% down to my own lack of knowledge rather than GarageBands limitations...I would upgrade it I felt that it was holding me back...but until then, I'll avoid feeding the corporate monster any further than necessary.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
There is no hiding that any DAW can be complicated

However, I am confident that the basics of setting up some tracks, recording, balancing them and then exporting a final mix will be as easy in Logic Pro than any other DAW - there will just be lots of bits that you won't be touching straight away

If this is all you will be doing, the the cost is a bit much then stick with Garage Band

If you can afford it and want something to grow in to then Logic Pro would be your best bet

I don't think it will take you long to master the basics and it will be no time before you want starting to add automation and other effects

I've just begun using automation,it's a very versatile tool. I suppose the difference between GB and Logic would be the amount of variables and adjustment available with this feature alone.

Currently and to aid my learning process,I composed a song on GB as a test bed. I use this for experimenting and trying out each new process I learn. I'll persevere along these lines until I have a handle on what I need. I think this is best,rather than trying to run before I can walk properly.

In all honesty,I've only been fooling about with GB for a week now,so I'm probably a bit daft talking about Logic at this stage. It's the inner gear hog!  :D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
I honestly think that any problems with the quality of my productions is 90% down to my own lack of knowledge rather than GarageBands limitations...I would upgrade it I felt that it was holding me back...but until then, I'll avoid feeding the corporate monster any further than necessary.

That's where I am at the moment too Paul,but I think I'm hard wired to feed the corporates!  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:16 PM »
Just my personal experience but when I started about 18 months ago I was looking for a fully functional daw that would not cost too much just to lay some ideas down. Reaper was sixty dollars about fourty quid at the time. It took me a little while to get up to speed but I cant praise it enough. I've only scratched the surface and to me it's amazing. The updates are free and frequent and there are loads of support tutorials online. Anyway, just my perspective. Not saying a is better than b or anything but seems to me if you just want to get some ideas down with minor outlay then Reaper is yer man. You could always migrate later if production is your dish  :) cheers John

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
Reaper is always near the top of the reviews for the best value-for-money DAWS. With so many free/cheap plugin available it's a bargain.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
And Reaper is free to download and evaluate for as long as you like and it's the fully functional version as well

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
I think reaper is your best bet..I'm a Cubase and Mixbus user and would recommend Mixbus..(because it's like a mixing desk so easy to see what yer doing)it'll do what you want and it's cheap..as with all DAW's there is a learning curve which can drive you bonkers...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!