konalavadome

DAW noob seeks enlightenment

• 29 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
Yo tech people,please treat this incoming message as one originating from a clueless destination,this will ensure,in the throes of your detailed explanations to the aforementioned 'clueless', there can be no misunderstanding when I admonish you for using funny words and terms you may consider normal. ok?  :)

I'm a songwriter,but I've always relied on the knowledge and skill of others to get stuff down and recorded. While this is good,it can also have drawbacks with regard to dependance and others having the time. I've also been unable to collaborate with anyone online,because I didn't have a daw.

Recently I treated myself to an iMac which comes with garageband,so all the above has changed.Hopefully for the better.

But,I have many questions. :)

The learning of a new OS (being used to windoze all my days) and the operation of garageband are my own task for the moment,but from those who regularly collaborate with others,I'd love to know how you send the song back and forth between each other,while you add various tracks.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »
Hi Skub. On the collaborations I have worked on I have used both OneDrive and dropbox. Just simply set up a shared folder and you can upload and download all the wav files. I've worked with people who use other Daws to what I'm using but I think every daw has the ability to import and export individual tracks. I'll set up a test if you want. Cheers John

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »
Ta John,do you know offhand if garageband can export in wav form? The largest file format seems to be AIFF.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
Skub, I canĀ“t remember whether Garageband exports in Wav, but AIFF should also be ok for most people.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
Ta Martyn.  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
Should be ok I think but I'm no apple man. I'll set up a dropbox share later and stick a couple of files there to see if you can get them

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
https://help.apple.com/garageband/mac/10.1.3/?lang=eng

To get you started Skub.

Don't use Garageband myself but there was some info in there about exporting sound files. Maybe this helps.

:)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
You could also try Reaper Skub. Not as user - friendly as garage and but defo one the best cheap DAWS out there. There are also a lot of bargain plugin available this weekend.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »
Totally endorse Reaper - Have been using it for about 18 months - $60 or you can download fully functional version for free

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
Feck orf,Marty and John. I've started the learning process and I'm not going back! Have you both any idea of how much this hurts my poor old head?  :(

Ta to Marty,John and the S for your help so far,especially John aiding me to find a way to move files about the place.

When I transfer tracks into iTunes and then to dropbox,I end up with an mp4 file. Ideally I was hoping for wav.I know you use logic pro x,Martyn,does it allow you to transfer files in wav form?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
An old friend of mine who I am working with uses logic pro and he has been sending me wav files 

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »
I personally think you will find Garage Band a bit limiting

I would suggest biting the bullet and going straight to Logic Pro - just because it does more doesn't necessarily mean it will be harder to learn, in fact because it is more of a "proper" DAW it will be easier for us all to help you

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
I would suggest biting the bullet and going straight to Logic Pro - just because it does more doesn't necessarily mean it will be harder to learn, in fact because it is more of a "proper" DAW it will be easier for us all to help you

Just take the leap Skub, I'll catch you!  :D :D :D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
Boydie and S = enablers!  :D

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
Go for it mate..you'll never look back..I'm happy to help! ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6