Mic crackling

• 6 Replies

Kafla

« on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
Getting little crackling noises recording from my mic, was silent one minute then it started.

Any ideas what this could be?

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
check cables first, they are the usual source. Then check the connections at both ends (to the mic and the other end of the cable). If there is anything else in the signal chain check that: Basically rule out everything before coming to the actual mic. If it's a problem with the actual mic that can be baaad.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
a crackling sound from the mic usually is from a loose contact of the cable on the jack
btw, is it a condenser mike on which you have to put a phantom voltage?

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Thanks guys

I reconnected the mic and it seems to be fine now!

Was so frustrating  ::)

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
Meant to say DB , I think you were spot on about the connection to the mic, it wasn't properly on

Yes it is phantom voltage with 48v, does this cause problems?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
Ha, no that is good for recording your vocals and acoustic guitar, but in the house I used live before (which was a very old house) switching on other electrical devices produced a cracking sound when using a microphone like that, especially the refrigerator turning itself on gave a enormous cracking sound...

and that always seemed to happen at the moment a recording went really well

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
 ;D

You are bloody pschyic - I had the tv on as well in the background on mute to keep an eye on the football results, when I switched it off the crackling went away another time :)