Everything

• 32 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:11 AM »
Hi there fellow songsters,

Here's another one for you if you would take the time to listen.

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/everything-2016-m-blair

As usual, all feedback welcome.

Yodasdad

Everything - © 2016

Verse

You're not alone while there's fire in my bones
I'll let them smoulder and consume me
All I need is a little of your soul
To feed me, to heal me,

Verse

With Every drop of the life that's in my veins
I can feel your love is flowing
It keeps me moving like a locomotive train
You fuel me, you run through me

Chorus
You are everything to me
You are beauty that can bring me to my knees
You are everything to me and more

Verse

I think of you just as often as I breathe
I try to wrap my mind around you
I never thought I'd wear my heart out on my sleeve
Youve changed me, intoxicated me

Mid 8

Of all the people that could meet to share this life
So many years could lie between us
We could be separated by a thousand tides
I'm thanking god he put me here right now with you

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »
Hey Yoda,

Cool song, has an accomplished feel to it and reeks of quality.

The lyrics are well put togethor and tell a coherent story, and make a classic yearning song. I think your vocals shined particularly; very controlled with well timed changes in the melody.

Thanks for sharing

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
Hi Yoda,

Lovely piano and vocals. Some great subtle chord changes. Production is very good as well. Your vocals are sounding very smooth and professional.

John

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Great song, particularly like the piano and the overall production is very complete and professional.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
wow what a massive power ballad... straight out of the 1980s
I just love the stadium filling chorus ,what a big one that is.... & then a crowd swaying middle 8!
it sounds like jon bon jovi with elton john bon jovi  & simon le bon jovi at Live Aid! ;D
Fabulous!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »
First time I have heard your voice - very listenable and tuneful. Great production and catchy too - makes me want to listen to more of your stuff.

Would be very interested to know what mixing processors and effects were used. Really enjoyed this.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
Hey there.........I really love the music. The piano being the main drive and pulse, it is an inspiring sound. This has a very classy feel to it.
This has much potential.........have you tried to get this farmed out to the Biz ?
Good stuff!!
                               8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the reviews people, much much appreciated.

ScottLevi

Thanks. Lyrics are my weak spot so a positive comment about them is welcome.

Pompey

Thanks a lot. professional eh? I wish I was!

Kevysc

Thanks for listening, a second professional comment, I'm going to get a big head.

Tinam

I loved your review, thanks. Elton John Le Bon Jovi, got a ring to it.

Interesting the 80's reference. I always think when I'm writing my songs that they sound contemporary(ish), but I guess my tastes and my 'era' reallly do colour my songwriting a lot. Kind of like I'm stuck in a time warp. I've heard plenty of modern stuff but the music that seems to have stuck with me and comes out is reflective of what I listened to in my formative years 80's/90's.

Bill Saunders

Thanks for your comments.

The answer to what I used in the production stage is basically, whatever seemed to work at the time. I generally try stuff out and fiddle with it until I think it sounds right.

Im using Logic pro X, the vocals are using CLA vocals from Waves plus the usual eq'ing, reverb and compression etc on top. There is also a subtle double track on the lead vox for the chorus's and middle 8. Once I'm happy with the mix, I bounce it down and then put it back into logic to have a go at mastering it (psuedomastering I call it because again, I'm just trying stuff out and learning as I go along). From what I remember my mastering chain looked something like this: Compressor, Eq, Multiband compressor, Stereo spreader, Limiter.

IronKnee

Thanks a lot for listening and your comments.

By 'farmed out to the Biz' do you mean sending out to publishers/artists etc.

If so, the answer to this is no, for a couple of reasons.

1- I only finished it just before I put it up for review, to be honest I wasn't sure whether it was any good myself, I get too close to my songs and then its's hard to be objective, that's why I value other peoples opinions so much.

2- The whole world of getting published/cut or a sync deal etc is a bit of a confusion for me, I'm not sure where I'd start.  I've read lots about it but it seems there are so many options, many of which are either dead ends or trying to rip you off that it sends my head in a bit of a spin.

If you have any pointers I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks again all.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
I got the Waves CLA signature series recently. I really like the vocal plugin, and you've used it to good effect. The drum ones are great too.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
Hi Yoda,

a well produced power ballad. I was going to say it reminded me of Elton John but Tina beat me to it.

Definitely agree Scott about the lyrics, they created some great images in my head.

Keith

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:30:12 PM »
Excellent production, excellent lyrics, all well put together...love the guitar sound on this as well. Its filthy dirty and fits just right.

But I have a little issue...I get the feeling the rhythm of your melody on the first two verses...I don't know but it seems a little lazy to me. Sorry because I know that sounds negative, but I think the way you sing those bits could be tighter. The third verse was spot on and your song "Twice the Man" has a great rhythmic vocal to it. I think if you tightened up those bits this would be absolutely awesome. As for now its just great  ;D

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:35:46 PM »
Thanks Martynrich,

Do you mean that you think the rhythm of the melody needs changing, it needs singing better or both?

Thanks for listening.

Yodasdad

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
Hi

I think the rhythm of the melody in the first two verses needs to be tighter...I think they float just a little too much. It may be my taste of course. The 3rd verse, like I said, sounded spot on.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 04:08:19 AM »
Thanks for the reviews people, much much appreciated.

ScottLevi

Thanks. Lyrics are my weak spot so a positive comment about them is welcome.

Pompey

Thanks a lot. professional eh? I wish I was!

Kevysc

Thanks for listening, a second professional comment, I'm going to get a big head.

Tinam

I loved your review, thanks. Elton John Le Bon Jovi, got a ring to it.

Interesting the 80's reference. I always think when I'm writing my songs that they sound contemporary(ish), but I guess my tastes and my 'era' reallly do colour my songwriting a lot. Kind of like I'm stuck in a time warp. I've heard plenty of modern stuff but the music that seems to have stuck with me and comes out is reflective of what I listened to in my formative years 80's/90's.

Bill Saunders

Thanks for your comments.

The answer to what I used in the production stage is basically, whatever seemed to work at the time. I generally try stuff out and fiddle with it until I think it sounds right.

Im using Logic pro X, the vocals are using CLA vocals from Waves plus the usual eq'ing, reverb and compression etc on top. There is also a subtle double track on the lead vox for the chorus's and middle 8. Once I'm happy with the mix, I bounce it down and then put it back into logic to have a go at mastering it (psuedomastering I call it because again, I'm just trying stuff out and learning as I go along). From what I remember my mastering chain looked something like this: Compressor, Eq, Multiband compressor, Stereo spreader, Limiter.

IronKnee

Thanks a lot for listening and your comments.

By 'farmed out to the Biz' do you mean sending out to publishers/artists etc.

If so, the answer to this is no, for a couple of reasons.

1- I only finished it just before I put it up for review, to be honest I wasn't sure whether it was any good myself, I get too close to my songs and then its's hard to be objective, that's why I value other peoples opinions so much.

2- The whole world of getting published/cut or a sync deal etc is a bit of a confusion for me, I'm not sure where I'd start.  I've read lots about it but it seems there are so many options, many of which are either dead ends or trying to rip you off that it sends my head in a bit of a spin.

If you have any pointers I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks again all.

Hi Yoda......sorry! I have no pointers, other than to just have fun with your music.  I think you have to have connections (family) that enables you to enter that world.....or, if you can show those guardians that you can make a ton of money (that always interests people  ;D ).
Good luck.......and have fun!
                                                               8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
Hey Yoda,

I wished I'd listened sooner! Really like this it flows beautifully - a real lesson on how a ballad should 'feel' - IMHO and, like some have already said, it's very evocative of certain big names...

Will be listening again  :)

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?