Boats

• 35 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Here's another new song off my CD. I've gone for something completely different so I'd be interested to hear if you think it works. Mastering is by the impeccable Mr Boydie.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/boats

The air is grey from ocean spray
I'm walking through your streets
September morning
The endless days stretch away
Like the chains that tie the ships
To their moorings

And I miss you
More each day
And I love you
Like words can never say

The rusting steel and rotten keels
Of the ancient boats
Stranded on the shoreline
Reminds me of the way I feel
After too many days
Without your sunshine

A seagull flies his keening cries
Sounds just like
A babies wailing
As his mother burns the world still turns
But all the pretty flowers are fading
That I gave you yesterday
But you threw them all away

Fly away, fly away across the sea
Never say, don't you ever say
That you've forgotten me

Turn a page in the summer haze
Lying in the sun
The book you're reading
Ten thousand words like wingless birds
That look on high
And dream of flying

An anchor weighs no one stays
Long enough
To taste the winter
But I will wait though it's getting late
To see your face
One more November
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:23:11 PM by montydog »

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »
Super lyrics. Really lovely imagery and similies. They bring pictures into the mind and I can really see the scene and feel the loss / missing. I love the slow build throughout, too - the gradual introduction of elements until they're all there, and then gone. That works well and is beautifully handled, right through to the perfect introduction of the tambourine. The melody and vocals (which are great) fit all of this really well.

What I don't like is the percussive synth line that's running throughout. Once I locked onto this I couldn't get away from it and it sat on top of everything (even when other elements were louder) and I couldn't get beyond it to enjoy the song. It's probably just me and it's definitely not uncommon with me - sometimes a hi-hat or a rim shot will do the same to me and others don't seem to mind so it's probably no biggie.
West Country Country Boy

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
Hey Monty!

First, not a big fan of sound fx. Never have never will. That's just me. Your song is too good for that in my opinion, you don't need it.

Now to the song, seriously?!! This is a masterpiece if you ask me. I think it's fantastic. Your lyrics and especially the way you sing, with just the perfect amount of emotion in your voice. The phrasing and the sparse melody, I've got nothing but praise for it all. Superb.

The production, well, I'm more for an all acoustic sounding production but I understand not all songs can follow my wishes and demands!!?! ;-) That aside I didn't think your production did any harm to the very wonderful piece of music you've written, so I guess I'll let it slide for now. =)

Overall you should be proud of this one. I love it!

S

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:30:57 PM »
Wow Alan,quite a musical departure for you on this track.  :o

Awesome imagery depicted by the lyrics,I can taste the salty air as I nurse my regret and desolation.

Loved it all.  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:55 PM »
That is most excellent! I most definitely think it works. I have to get really picky to find any nits, but I found two. They're only grammar, so nothing to do with the music or lyric overall, both of which are totally first class in my book.

First grammar nit is this part:

The rusting steel and rotten keels
Of the ancient boats
Stranded on the shoreline
Reminds me of the way I feel

The sentence, without the parenthetical description is "The rusting steel and rotten keels...remind me of...." instead of "reminds me of".

The other one--I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding it, or if it's really a grammar nit. It's this bit:

A seagull flies his keening cries
Sounds just like
A babies wailing

If you add punctuation, I think this is saying "A seagull flies; his keening cries sound just like a baby's wailing." If I got it wrong, just kick me off the dock.

Bottom line is, I don't have any worthwhile nits, so I have to rely on picky grammar issues...I'm putting your song on my new sharing list. I've started posting links to songs by "obscure singer-songwriters" on my Facebook and Twitter accounts, in the hope people will share them and they'll get more extensive exposure. Aren't you just excited???  ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
I was very surprised by this from you Alan. It's a big departure form the other stuff of yours that I've heard and I really liked it. You've developed a great ambience. Vocals are understated but convey the emotion perfectly. Like the subtle synth backings. Good stuff

John

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »
Beautiful song and damn fine lyrics, nice production and arrangement..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
Leonard Cohen meets Echo and the Bunnymen with a hint of Tom Rush. Definitely works for me.

The words suggested a longing for a past love, the music hints at something far more sinister. Right up my street.

Keith

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
Well I've not heard your other stuff but I like this very much. Crystal clear production encourages listening, and you've got that spot on. Clever and emotional lyrics and an insistent and infectious groove. I really liked this song.

RothenborgLopez

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »
Very nice song!

I really like your voice and your lyrics and the way this song builds. Well produced as well. Don't really have any feedback for you other than good job!

/R&L

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »
This is simply the best thing you've done Alan. The arrangement, melody, lyrics, cross-rhythms, chorus...emotion, it has everything. It still has your vocal character but with a real heartfelt ambience that really shines through. It is simply stunning.

The instrumentation and arrangement are pushing your boundaries and it is great to hear. A load of thought has gone into this and it shows. I so dig the chorus, I simply wasn't expecting it but it works and sticks in the head. You've got a real piece of art here.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
Lovely song

I like the recurring synth in the song.

Vocals are well produced and haunting.

I like sound affects!

Great lyrics too.

Sandeep

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »
Very different from your usual stuff. I actually like the field recordings. There is a lot of space in this track, it creates this really ambient feel and once you have caught on to the rhythm of the vocals it lulls you in to this mellow place. Really enjoyed!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »
Hi Alan,

Very nice write.
I like the addition of the synthy sounds. Something of a departure from your signature sound.
Vocals are top notch.
It was like a folksy Enya.

Well thought out and constructed piece.

Digger

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
this is lovely, Alan

i wouldn't have thought that the synth-y sounds would have worked well with your old-fashioned vocal style...but it worked brilliantly...nice job  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter