The Time We Get

• 16 Replies

igg

• Solo Gig
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
Hi, 

I recently wrote this and am working out the details....Love to hear your ideas and crits...

THE TIME WE GET

V1:
The days we get ain't very long
All filled with shouts and sighs             
Hanging onto brief hellos
And lingering goodbyes
All the time and trouble
Don't add to very  much
Searching for a special someone                       
Hoping for their loving touch                                                 

CH:
Burning down the candle
Dark is close behind
Ain't no place to run for cover
Counting down our borrowed time               

V2:
And though our time is burning           
It don't light the way
Darkness keeps returning
By the end of every day                                       
Don't matter how we try to fly               
To catch the rising sun                                   
Every night ...when we fall down
Our race has one less day to run                           

CH:
Burning down the candle
Dark is close behind
Ain't no place to run for cover
Counting down our borrowed time               

V3:
It seems the odds are all against us
Time  just won't stand still
Knowing we won't live forever
And ...that no one ever will                                         
Time to open up your heart
To blowing wind and rain
And stop to taste the sweet, sweet  sugar                             
Dripping down through all the pain

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:21:19 PM »
Hi igg

I like it - lots of forward motion where you keep freshening each stanza making me want to read on.
Chorus is stellar.
My only (tiny) nit is the word "ain't". To me it doesn't suit the vernacular - which (to me) is one of a learned poet who wouldn't use slang.. But that's likely just my take on it and it will likely sound great in a song :)

nice work
Paul

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
Hey Igg,

I think these are really strong. Paul's right on the forward motion which always makes for good lyrics, and your story is coherant, consistant and engaging.

Nothing constructive sorry just really like them (Y).

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »
No crits from me igg,as usual it's a top write.
Lovely imagery and it flows really well throughout,
nothing more to say other than you very rarely disappoint,if ever,
                                                                                          Tom.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
Hi igg,

the chorus is brilliant, it works on every level for me.

I don't know why but I found the verses a little difficult to read. To me there seemed like too many connecting words like "and" and "all". There's nothing wrong with the development of the story which is good but I can't seem to get a rhythm that goes with the words.

If you disagree please ignore me.

Keith

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions:

Paul - Thanks for the feedback on the forward thrust of the song...It's definitely something I strive for (sometimes successfully,  sometimes not)... The "ain't" is a tossup for me...I was in with "Don't" so I figured "ain't" wasn't too far behind..:>)

Scott - Thanks for the observations and the words of encouragement

Tom - I appreciate your time and crits...And am most grateful for your kind compliments..

Keith - Your right!....  I've got to be more brutal in removing to pesky little connectives and articles.  I do have a little tune going for this and hope I can squeeze most of what I have here into the song...
igg

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:46 PM »
Good, strong lyric, for the most part. I look forward to hearing it once it's recorded.

I do agree about the "ain't"--and the "don't" you mentioned, as well. There are ways to "fix" those (if they do need fixing).

In "The days we get ain't very long", of course, you can use "aren't".

The line "Ain't no place to run for cover" could use "There's no place...." instead, perhaps.

Then for "It don't light the way", "It can't light the way" might work. ?

And maybe "Don't matter how we try to fly" could become "No matter how we try to fly."

Aside from those bits, I really, really like the way the words flow. I would list all the phrases that I find delightful, but there are too many of them. I would be including most of the song. I think verse 3 is my ultimate favorite of the whole thing. And I also like the topic a lot. It's almost totally my kind of thing. My one nit for the lyric as a whole is the darkness of it. I'm really not into dark, but I think I'm maybe in the minority there. Dark themes seem to the usual these days...all the old movie themes and TV shows coming back, but so much darker than they used to be.

Anyway, I personally would prefer a more uplifting, optimistic treatment of the theme, but that's just me. I still like it a lot, and the way the words work together is just, really, great. :)

Vicki

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
Hi Vicki,

I guess I believe, in a very personal song like this, and maybe it's this particular song,  that "don't and "ain't" somehow make it a little more accessible...In addition, the meter couldn't handle the extra syllables as it stands...I often write without slang ....and that's fine as well....

In fact, as I was writing this, I could either write "that's fine as well" or "that's all right, too"..Each one carries different baggage with it that colors the narrator's message....

Anyhow, enough of that....
Your second point ...of it being dark...I guess it is, but the central message is one of acceptance and transcendence....so the reality of our lives and the urgency of our deaths is changed by a reframing of what's possible....I don't know if that makes any sense, but I wanted to convey a hopeful, "lotus from the mud" sentiment...

igg

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »
Hello igg

This is top-notch once again...the only thing I'd be inclined to have another look at is the last line of V1

"hoping for their loving touch"

Not that there's anything wrong with it at all...it just seemed to be the only average line in an otherwise great lyric

I'm confident you'll make it another great song either way  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
Lovely set of lyrics, and quite poignant for the way I'm feeling with two funerals to go to next week, my uncle and best friend.

I agree regarding the use of "ain't" - that jumped out at me before I read anyone else's messages. I also felt the last line of V2 was a syllable too long. But melody could cure that.

It reminds me of the Allman Brothers "Ain't Wasting Time No More" that, IIRC, Greg wrote after Duane was killed. I often recall the line "Time goes by like hurricanes, and much faster things." Good lyrics are great, and this is a set of those. Well done.

West Country Country Boy

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Igg - super stuff, right up my street right now. I really related to "the make the best of it" message. I'd have to agree on the loving touch - I'd go for a "warm inside" type of image (if there is one), just to emphasise the storyteller's personal feeling rather than something generic.
Really strong write from where I'm listening.

evanjavo

• Open Mic
  • Just passing through.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »
Very, very nice lyric. Really enjoyed it. Suggestion/idea: maybe change the line in the chorus to "Darkness close behind?"

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »
As always. . . this is excellent. 

Over time, I have learned that when you post a song, you've already challenged most of your choices, and have posted a complete lyric that works. 

The few challenges we can come up with just smooth it a little. 

Very nice as always.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

josemar

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »
Hi,
That lyric really hits home. Every line speaks the truth, done in a very classy way.

Should you have put the title in somewhere?

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:48:47 AM »
First of all a sincere thank you for taking the time to comment...

Paul - That two line couplet has been bothering me as well...How does

"Searching for that special heart
Someone real that we can touch"
or
Hearts keep yearning for a chance
To feel another's touch"

Del - Thanks for the great remarks---sorry about your loss!  Certainly puts us in a frame of mind to consider the meaningful connections and consequences of our fragile and too brief lives...

Adam - Thanks...Yeah, I'm working on making that less formulaic.  What do you think of the lines I mentioned to Paul above?...

Evan - Thanks for "darkness" ...I wanted to personify the dark but I think you're right...I did use "darkness" in the verse so I thought I'd change it to avoid repetition but   Darkness flows well and it still does what I want it to do!  Hmmmmm...I guess I'll have to see how it sings......

HTM - You're a peach!  Thanks ....I'm pretty obsessive about shading meaning and meter and so go through a lot of rewrites before I launch a new song into the world!.. I always appreciate your thoughtful comments!

Jose - I'm glad you found the lyric meaningful...  It certainly comes from the heart...I'm not so big on hooks--- probably a mistake on my part!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:22:56 PM by igg »