konalavadome

Influences: list them or don't list them?

• 2 Replies

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
This is something that's been weighing on my mind of late.

When you set up a website or a microsite (ie. a Myspace page or a PureVolume page etc.) is it a good idea or a bad idea to list your influences?

I've always left the influences field blank when setting up sites for the reason that I worry that listing influences will encourage lazy-arse journalists to blindly compare you to said artists. Also, I worry that by saying I'm influenced by a certain artist I may give the false impression that my music sounds like said artist when often that may not be the case.

That said, when I check out other artists on Myspace I do find it quite interesting to read their influences, if only out of pure curiousity.

Any thoughts?

Fat Cat Strings

• Busker
    • Fat Cat Strings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
Good point Andy! I'd go one step further - don't even list your genre  :o let those lazy-arse journos work it out!
String arrangements online!

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
Good point Andy! I'd go one step further - don't even list your genre  :o let those lazy-arse journos work it out!

That's also a good point.
I do find that bands/artists can often be almost pedanted to death by the critics for listing themselves in a genre bracket that some may not agree with.
I also find that music journalists are very ignorant to the true definitions of certain genres.
For example, the music press has been incorrectly calling a large number of bands emo for the last ten years. They have also corrupted the terms R 'n' B and metal.

Unfortunately though, if you don't list your genre then it does reduce your chances of being checked out by fans of that genre.